Early production 8.2L manifold replacement

DeadOn04
Commander
Commander

Early production 8.2L manifold replacement

Post by DeadOn04 »

Have any of you had to change out the manifolds/collectors on the earlier series 8.2L. It’s the version with the tall three canister collectors prior to the “u-shape” single canister version.

In the process of changing mine out and the parts quotes are insane. Easily 4x the cost of the manifolds/riser kits from the 8.1s. I realize we can thank emission control for this, but never expected that type of step up.

Considering a stainless marine replacement and cat delete but that starts to lead to other issues having to either flash the pcm or tie in another computer.

Hope all is well here on cobalt chat!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2012 Formula 310 FX5
2007 232 6.2L (SOLD)
Fort Walton Beach, FL
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Early production 8.2L manifold replacement

Post by jhnmdahl »

I don't know much about that engine, but these guys have a decent reputation for being able to reflash engines like that:

https://obd2allinone.com/mefituning.asp

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
DeadOn04
Commander
Commander

Post by DeadOn04 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:33 pm I don't know much about that engine, but these guys have a decent reputation for being able to reflash engines like that:

https://obd2allinone.com/mefituning.asp

John
Thanks, I will take a look. I have decided to stick with the OEM set up. I found a set of the elbows for a fraction of the cost outside of the Merc parts network which cut the cost significantly. Also if anyone else runs in to this, the elbows are stainless already and after inspecting them I could have used them again as they were in very good condition. As it is I found replacements and will keep the old ones in a box for an emergency! They wanted $4,500 per set of elbows from the Merc dealer! Thought they were crazy but I did my own searching and found less but still very high prices around $3,500 per set. I then located two sets using the superseded part number that are the exact match for mine for a fraction of the cost. I’ll let you know later if they are knock-offs or if I was a bargain hunt hero!
2012 Formula 310 FX5
2007 232 6.2L (SOLD)
Fort Walton Beach, FL
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Thanks for posting an update - it'll help the next person who has the same questions
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)