Forward guide bunks

tbirdfrost
Ensign
Ensign

Forward guide bunks

Post by tbirdfrost »

Hey everyone,

I just put my 26SD on a new LoadRite Elite trailer. If you are unfamiliar with their design, they have the standard weight bearing (2) bunks that go about 60% of the length of the boat. Then there are 2 seperate bunks that are about 30-32" and inclined upwards towards the front of the trailer. When the boat was placed on the trailer, the fwd bunks did not contact the hull and had about a 2" gap between bunk and hull. Boat dealer said they are only to help guide/center the boat and do not need to contact.

I contacted the manufacturer and they stated that they should contact the hull. That was about the extent of it. Does anyone have experience with this setup? I have never had one like this and dont want to leave a large area unsupported or leave room for bouncing.

Thoughts? Wisdom? New whiskey?

-Tbirdfrost
Fwd bunks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can die with millions in the bank, or millions of good memories.
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Re: Forward guide bunks

Post by stifflkd »

The user guide on my LoadRite manual states that they should be adjusted to a max of 200 lb, no more. If you adjust them so they fit snug up against the hull you should be fine.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
tbirdfrost
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tbirdfrost »

@Stifflkd,
I appreciate it very much. I will adjust as required.

-Tbirdfrost
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

I had to purchase my trailer new last summer, when I purchased my 242 used from an individual. Once I got the trailer home from the purchase, I notice that not all of the bunks were touching the boat, like in your picture. What I did was place a floor jack under the post / bracket that the bunk board is attached to, and once the bolts that fasten the bunk board bracket to the trailer were loose, I jacked up the jack so that it put slight pressure (no way to measure force) against the hull, then tightened the bolts back down. This worked very well for me, and I thought was probably the safest / easiest way to adjust these. I'd give that a try on your trailer.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
tbirdfrost
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tbirdfrost »

NautiWeasel,

Thank you for the method. I think I will launch the boat and upon placement back on the trailer I will see how it sits. Great idea about using a jack as well. I will bring one with me to help adjust.

Thanks everyone!
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Most of my good memories cost more than a dollar. LOL
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

tbirdfrost wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:08 am NautiWeasel,

Thank you for the method. I think I will launch the boat and upon placement back on the trailer I will see how it sits. Great idea about using a jack as well. I will bring one with me to help adjust.

Thanks everyone!
You don’t need to take the boat off the trailer to adjust the bunks. Like Nauti said just loosen the clamps on the bunks, place a floor jack with a black of wood under the bunk supports and push it up with just a little pressure. Then just tighten the clamps back up. It’s actually better to do it with the boat on the trailer so you know how much to move the bunks. I’ve adjusted the bunks on my trailer when it was new, it’s very easy. Make sure the trailer is sitting on a level surface when making the adjustments though.
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

Yep, don't take the boat off the trailer to adjust. You're likely to get the bunks further out of whack, or have them put too much pressure in one location.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.