Input needed from 263 owners

(190 through 360)
majordeason
Ensign
Ensign

Input needed from 263 owners

Post by majordeason »

Hello, I am new here to the forum. I hope my post finds everyone well.

I have my eyes set on a 2001 263 with the 8.1 Gi and I will be traveling a few states to look at this boat and possibly buy it. Before I travel, I was hoping to arm myself with as much information as possible on these 263 models, the Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi, and the Cobalt brand in general.

I would consider myself an experienced boater and having served dang near a decade in the US Coast Guard - I have the basics nailed, but the I am not infallible. If purchased this would be a first on many levels for me and that concerns me. I have never owned anything other than Center Consoles and Outboards to be honest - kinda the modus operandi of a Florida Native.

Unfortunately I no longer live in Florida so the CC is up for sale and the wife wants something that can get the kids out of the sun and this boat checks a lot of other boxes for us.

I was hoping some well versed owners (past and/or present) of the 263 model could provide me with some directions - Common failures, do's and don'ts, what to look for or watch out for, any maintenance or recall items that should be verified prior to purchase? Any tips or tricks that have made ownership easier? Any essential upgrades?

Any information will be greatly appreciated by yours truly.

Thanks and Happy Boating!
MajorD
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Input needed from 263 owners

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey majorD. So glad you found us my friend.

The 263 is a phenomenal machine. I’m biased of course but can highly recommend it based on looks, power, maneuverability, versatility, and trailerability.

Weaknesses include finding transom cushions; any tears in the vinyl seats or backing (which Cobalt does not supply anymore); and faded wooden dashes.

Where and how do you intend on using her?

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
majordeason
Ensign
Ensign

Post by majordeason »

Thank you for the warm welcome.

The boat will be used primarily on a fresh water section of the susquhanna River called Long Level/Clarke Lake. We will be doing some light water sports, cruising, and hanging out with the family at the "sandbar". In addition to the river, once a year we do a guys trip to a lake or other body of boatable water and tow the boat to it. We've been to Raystown Lake, Ocean City, and this year we have plans to hit Smith Mountain Lake in VA.

I guess with the lack of OEM parts for this boat in it's stage of life, the cushions - if damaged - will need to be taken to an upholstery shop for repairs or replacement?

I've found that greatlakesskipper.com has some Cobalt OEM parts, not sure if everyone knows about them.

Thanks again!
MajorD
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

Welcome...

Tell us about the boat. Hours, price, salt water use, etc.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
majordeason
Ensign
Ensign

Post by majordeason »

The boat is a 2001 263 with the 8.1 Gi Volvo. It has around 800 hours on it, and from what I can gather those hours are majority freshwater. It is kept out of the water and in a large garage near a lake In Kentucky. It’s blue and white, and the pictures show it to be in fantastic condition. It’s a US Coast Guard registered vessel and has ton of documentation and maintenance records. Comes with a trailer that also seems to be in great condition. Guy is asking $40k
majordeason
Ensign
Ensign

Post by majordeason »

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2001-co ... 3-8682739/

This is the boat for anyone really interested, just don’t get too interested- I call dibs :)

MajorD
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoDuckDad »

I know it may be difficult because the boat is far away, but having a survey (inspection) of the boat will give you a lot more confidence buying. A knowledgeable boat surveyor (mechanic +) will find problems you don't know to look for or will find. THEN you are equipped to make a proper and fair offer AND will drive her home and put her in the lake with confidence. Last thing you want after coughing up $40K is problems your first time on the water. 800 hours is well used but isn't a ton but due to the age of the boat, stuff happens. FYI, excluding dedicated ski boats, pontoon boats, etc. everyone on the lake compares their boat to a Cobalt. Best of luck!

added: watch this to learn how a Cobalt is different than most boats: https://youtu.be/Do4H7fdMY2U
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

It's been my experience that someone who took care of the interior and exterior, also took care of the drive train.
But that said, I agree with the survey.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
majordeason
Ensign
Ensign

Post by majordeason »

I appreciate the input. I agree on a marine surveyor - recently had to use one because my CG Spidey senses were tingling when I went and looked a boat prior to this one. It was a different brand of boat that I am significantly more familar with though, and I knew right away that the stringers were likely saturated when I put eyes on it. I hired a surveyor and they confirmed my suspicions.

However, from what I've digested information wise Cobalt boats are not known for structural issues - which would be the only deal breaker for me. I was an electrician's mate in the Coast Guard for 10 and I am bringing a buddy thats super mechanically inclined. If the Spidey Senses tingle again, I'll be hiring another surveyor for sure!

I also think that the 40K might be a little high.

MajorD
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"a survey (inspection) of the boat"

I second and third that recommendation, especially when spending some $40k. If not a surveyor, use a local marine mechanic. Make sure the inspection includes a sea trial. And that the trial includes: shutting her down when hot, then restart (after the appropriate wait time). Have the inspector check her for any listing while docked.

On the cushions. Been there, done that. Easy to find such an expert, but not cheap. And the good ones are backed up with orders.
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoDuckDad »

maintenance records would also help determine things like: last impeller change, last oil (and filter) change, last outdrive oil change, last trim oil change, last fuel filter change, last belt change, any engine work, etc. I'd also have them (or you) conduct an engine compression test on all cylinders (standard for a survey). Sea trial is a must! As a Coastie, you'll know from feel & sound how she runs. Go Navy...lol
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP
majordeason
Ensign
Ensign

Post by majordeason »

There will be a sea trail if it passes my visual inspection. He stores the boat right next to lake cumberland (Cumberland lake?). He has all the maintenance records from him and the previous owner as well going back almost 10 years of its life.

Kate, point noted on the shutdown and restart.

Twoduckdad, yeah yeah yeah, go navy... I went Coast Guard because even Navy and the Marines need heroes ;)

https://historylink.org/File/11010#:~:t ... %2C%201943.
Whippled263
Captain
Captain

Post by Whippled263 »

Welcome. I've owned my 263 for 7 years now. I've modified or upgraded just about everything I can. To sum it up the boat is amazing. I have not found one fault with the boat. You will love it. $40k is not far off. Check the boat over for moisture and functuality of all its systems. The bow windows are known to leak in heavy rain. There will be staining on the interior walls and possible musty smells. I see in the pictures the sink cutting board is missing. Are the cabin and cockpit tables included? Rear seat and sun pad filler cushions included? Carpet? Cabin shades and wind screen?
I have a complete mint set of carpet I will sell you at a great deal if your interested. Keep us in the loop

chris
2005 263
whipple supercharged 496 H.O
Bravo 3 XR
Trim down for what!
majordeason
Ensign
Ensign

Post by majordeason »

Chris,
I’ll definitely have to ask - thanks for pointing those missing items out! And great points about the water intrusion through the bow windows…. This is exactly why I came onboard the forum, all great points and advice. Can’t thank you all enough.

I’m not sure if I want to go carpet route or not. I have Marine Mat on my CC and absolutely love it…. Not sure if that is committing the equivalent to a crime in the Cobalt side of boating or not though 🙃 I’ll keep you in mind if I need some mint carpet!

Any “must do” upgrades on this boat sir!?

Thanks!
MajorD
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

majordeason wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:08 pm https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2001-co ... 3-8682739/

This is the boat for anyone really interested, just don’t get too interested- I call dibs :)

MajorD

Here’s our 2005 for comparison purposes majorD. It has roughly 475 hours with a custom JL Audio and Wet Sounds audio system. Finding one with the trifecta of a stainless arch; extra extended swim platform; and largest HP engine is a unicorn in the wild. 8-)

D033C29A-E601-4D6F-9891-247C5D14B2F9.jpeg
E18E1259-E07F-4217-A80A-1192763AD30D.jpeg
882E5E90-2B86-4284-806D-007F2126793F.jpeg
8B37D3AA-0AE6-40A1-A6AD-F8A053DBBE13.jpeg
E0D218C4-62E0-45AD-8468-37A0F6A0F5B8.jpeg
51178359-B3EA-407B-BF51-8DAA3C678E39.jpeg

439DB81F-F65E-4174-8D4B-6EF2AAE6F0C2.jpeg

DDB0E407-F1E4-4B55-B789-023817DA63ED.jpeg

1C75A6E5-D714-47A9-9F53-D7BCAA93A996.jpeg
F3305357-7FA5-43D6-BFBB-B3CF229759C5.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)