R3, 242, or Regal 2300 XR

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
kwsbrother
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

R3, 242, or Regal 2300 XR

Post by kwsbrother »

Hi! I'm looking to get out of my fishing boat and possibly join the ranks of this group. I've been researching for 3-4 months and I have decided I will only move forward with purchasing a Cobalt or Regal. This would only be my second boat, but I've been around pontoons and fishing boats all my life. Life circumstances have changed and those style of boats just don't work any longer.

I'm here to get insight from the veterans regarding some boats I've found. Here they are:

I have found 3 used boats (2 Cobalts & 1 Regal) all within 30 minutes to 2 hours from me that I'm seriously considering and wanted to hear input/opinions from this group. Numbers wise, the boats are all very similar to one another:

The boats are a 2012 Cobalt 242, 2016 Cobalt R3, and 2015 Regal 2300 XR. That puts me squarely in the 23-24' range. I've had contact with the sellers of the 242 and 2300 XR. I recently found the R3 and have reached out, but haven't gotten a response yet.

The engines are all Volvo DPs ranging from 300-320 hp and ranging from 77-105 engine hours. The prices from lowest to highest are only a $8k spread (242 & 2300 RX are the same price). All three boats appear very well maintained inside and out with the 242 only showing a little sun fading of the aft lounge seating vinyl. All three have the forward facing folding arch wakeboard tower with bimini top, but the 2300 RX includes wake board racks.

The rated passenger capacity of all 3 also isn't so much of a concern since I would only likely have 6-8 people, at a maximum. It'd likely be 2-5 people on average. The Regal is rated at 10 people, 242 at 12-13 people, and the R3 at 12 people.

The difference are as follows:

The 242 doesn't come with a trailer, but is being sold by a dealer. The R3 is a private sale and status of a trailer is unknown. The 2300 RX is private sale and comes with a custom trailer that also include trailer bow steps. The trailer is important in that I don't plan to get a slip since there are almost a dozen lakes within about 2 hour of my location.

Both the 242 and 2300 RX come with mooring covers while any covers for the R3 are unknown at this point.

Both the 242 and R3 come with snap in carpet while the 2300 RX has the snap in vinyl carpet (seagrass style).

The stereo systems vary greatly. The 242 has the basic 6 speaker system. The R3 is like the 242, but has transom speaker. The 2300 XR has a fully upgraded Fusion stereo system with sub and wake tower speakers. All 3 do have transom radio controls.

The 2300 RX has nighttime blue interior bow, cockpit, wakeboard tower, and tower speaking lighting. It also has underwater lights. The Cobalt's do not have any of these lighting functions. I will note that we do stay out into the darkness.

The 2300 RX also has thru-hull exhaust. I know older Regal 2300's had an exhaust actuator for the perfect pass, but I don't know if that is included. I've asked, but haven't received a response. I do have concern without perfect pass I could get tired of that beautiful rumble. I know one in my party that would likely not like it at all.

The Cobalt's have the standard gauge clusters in the cockpit. The Regal has the same plus Regal Vue (definitely not like having Garmin units, but visually pleasing to see information in a single location).

Then there is the obvious issue of the Cobalt hull versus the Regal FasTrac hull. I know they aren't constructed the same and both handle differently. To be honest, I'm not concerned about fuel economy. There will be some cruising and occasional tube pulling. Otherwise the majority of the time we'll anchor, swim, eat, drink and be merry.

So, all that said are there any of these boats you wouldn't consider further. Is there a favorite? I know the Cobalt is the cream, but they appear not to be very well optioned compared to the Regal that is well optioned. I know resale is always a factor and Cobalt again is the cream. However, this boat will be loved, maintained, and kept for a long duration.

Thanks for any and all input!
2015 Tracker Pro Guide V175 Combo
2016 Cobalt R3
NautiWeasel
Captain
Captain

Re: R3, 242, or Regal 2300 XR

Post by NautiWeasel »

I'm biased, of course, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them to be honest. I purchased my '14 242 last July, and had to but a trailer new from the dealer. An all aluminum trailer, with upgraded aluminum wheels and disc brakes was $5k. Not terrible, but it's not the fanciest of trailers either, if that matters to you.

We have the 380 hp Volvo in our 242, and it is great. My best friend has the 320hp Mercury, and I would be lying if I said I could tell the difference, except for maybe on takeoff, I'm a bit quicker. But I also have 2 fewer people in my family... so there's that.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

All are great boats.....The Cobalt is probably a bit nicer in the fit&finish, but it's like a Yukon Denali vs an Escalade. You're not going to be embarrased by either. Between the 242 and the R3 I think there is a slight hull difference from a generational standpoint, but they are close.

Have you been in both boats? One's layout or seat comfort might might be the difference.

FWIW, I have the R3 and there is a Regal 21 in my cove, both are same color, but everyone always asks me about my Cobalt.....that's worth something.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Go with the R3 hands down!
Newer, deeper V hull. Probably better sound system.
(I might be biased: see my name tag)
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

All three nice boats. The 242 is the biggest of the three, it was replaced by the R5. I looked at a 242 before I bought my R5, the one I looked at also had a head which was important to me - many of the 242's did not have a head. Later I found the R5 and bought it. The R3 predecessor was the 232. I think you need to look at all three, but based on what I am reading here and assuming the 242 does not have a head, I would lean towards the R3, otherwise the 242 because a head is important to me. You have the rare opportunity to compare three nice comparable used boats, so I would take the time to look at and run all three before I make a decision. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

242 would be my pick if you will take advantage of the extra room, the R3 will need the least maintenance and upkeep, and the Regal if you don't want to muck around with potentially finding a trailer, upgrading the stereo, etc.. I don't mind a bit of tinkering and don't have a big family so would lean toward the R3, even though I like the twin captain's chairs in the 242 better. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

billk2632 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:54 am All three nice boats. The 242 is the biggest of the three, it was replaced by the R5. I looked at a 242 before I bought my R5, the one I looked at also had a head which was important to me - many of the 242's did not have a head. Later I found the R5 and bought it. The R3 predecessor was the 232. I think you need to look at all three, but based on what I am reading here and assuming the 242 does not have a head, I would lean towards the R3, otherwise the 242 because a head is important to me. You have the rare opportunity to compare three nice comparable used boats, so I would take the time to look at and run all three before I make a decision. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
I looked at a 2012 242 and didn't realize it was bigger than my R3 (there was a few months between). It was the first Cobalt I piloted. I might have bought it if the owner had taken the time to clean it up before I drove over 6 hours to see it.
Home in Hernando, MS
NautiWeasel
Captain
Captain

Post by NautiWeasel »

Krob1114 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:57 pm
billk2632 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:54 am All three nice boats. The 242 is the biggest of the three, it was replaced by the R5. I looked at a 242 before I bought my R5, the one I looked at also had a head which was important to me - many of the 242's did not have a head. Later I found the R5 and bought it. The R3 predecessor was the 232. I think you need to look at all three, but based on what I am reading here and assuming the 242 does not have a head, I would lean towards the R3, otherwise the 242 because a head is important to me. You have the rare opportunity to compare three nice comparable used boats, so I would take the time to look at and run all three before I make a decision. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
I looked at a 2012 242 and didn't realize it was bigger than my R3 (there was a few months between). It was the first Cobalt I piloted. I might have bought it if the owner had taken the time to clean it up before I drove over 6 hours to see it.
Not a lot, but it is.
Taken straight from the 2014 Sales brochure. See attached. R3 = 23' 10" 242 = 25' 11" w/ swim platform.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I'm for the regal! Great boat and lines. The r3 has nothing on it. Hands down easy choice. 👍
Krob this one is just for you buddy.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NautiWeasel
Captain
Captain

Post by NautiWeasel »

^Lol
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Maybe it's the "reclaimed interior space" that Cobalt says was designed into the R series that made it feel bigger.
Home in Hernando, MS
kwsbrother
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kwsbrother »

I really appreciate the info and insight!

I'm hopefully going to see the 242 and R3 tomorrow. The 2300 RX is a couple hours away. The downfall is I'm leaning Cobalt without seeing the Regal. The Regal already comes with a trailer (huge savings as there aren't many used trailers locally) and it's loaded, but it's it a private seller and I don't like the idea and hassle it takes to get sales tax and registrations all handled. By far though the Regal would be the best bang for the buck, but the 242 is the next best value since the dealer does have a trailer at an extra cost. The R3 is the most expensive and I'd have to custom order a trailer and end up being north of what I really wanted to spend. Either way, it will sort itself all out and who knows...maybe I'll end up in Bayliner. I KID!
2016 Cobalt R3
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

I've heard it said, "buy high quality and you only buy once" meaning that I've often been in situations where I've tried to save money going with the cheaper option and end up replacing what I bought later with the better option because I ultimately wasn't happy with the cheaper option or what I thought was the best value at the time. Not that the 2300 RX isn't high quality, but if you're leaning toward the cobalts I'd get what you really want and not just what's the best value. Such a big purchase either way, it's defiantly important to live with in your means but if you can swing it I'd go with what you think is the best option and try to lean away from what's the best value.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
kwsbrother
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kwsbrother »

dsthomas - I agree with your approach. None of it is financially off-putting as I could easily cash purchase any of these boats, but there's the analytical/logical part of my brain that overtakes my brain's fun factory. All said, I'll likely end up with one of the Cobalts. I just need to see them and figure out what one is best for my situation (not that they're drastically different in the grand scheme of things).

I know someone mentioned the 242 would be their choice, but said the R3 would need the least maintenance and up keep. Why would that be?
2016 Cobalt R3
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

kwsbrother wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:24 pm dsthomas - I agree with your approach. None of it is financially off-putting as I could easily cash purchase any of these boats, but there's the analytical/logical part of my brain that overtakes my brain's fun factory. All said, I'll likely end up with one of the Cobalts. I just need to see them and figure out what one is best for my situation (not that they're drastically different in the grand scheme of things).

I know someone mentioned the 242 would be their choice, but said the R3 would need the least maintenance and up keep. Why would that be?
Brother I'm with ya, I can analyze the crud out of stuff as well. I think sometimes that's the best part :). So We had a 242 it was our first boat and it was awesome. Never had an R3 so can't help ya there. We had an R7 and I really like the layout of the R series boats compared to the older 232, 242, etc. I'm thinking who ever said more maintenance on the 242 just means it's an older boat and may require a little more love as far as getting it up to your standard. But that's true of any used boat. I think maintenance wise they'd both be the same. I like the newer insta drain feature on the new VP engines I think that was 2016 when they put that in place so the 242 probably doesn't have that. I can't remember what year the R3 is... but that makes a difference heading into the fall, it's extended our season, my wife likes to cruise and look at the foliage.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380