Delayed Start on 5.3L Gen 5 Penta, when turning key?

Jesse H
Ensign
Ensign

Delayed Start on 5.3L Gen 5 Penta, when turning key?

Post by Jesse H »

I took our new Cobalt R5 out (new to us, a 2019), last weekend, for the 1st time since it was delivered. It's a Volvo Penta Gen 5, 5.3L 350hp.

When drifting away from the dock, alone, and in frigid water, it would not start. I tried and tried, as normal. Tinkered with the wires on the batteries, even though the dual displays lit up as I turned the key on (so there was at least some power). The volt meter showed about 13V. The Dealer said everything should have been good to go. I'd turn the key, it'd beep a few times, but nothing....not even turning over at all (as I'm nearly alone on the lake, now 30 yards from my trailer and shore, and drifting further).

Then, I decided to turn the key clockwise, and hold it, as it beeped. Not sure why I thought to do that. That worked! After rotating the key and holding it in the start position, it beeped a few times, but fired the starter and it started right up (after about 5-6 seconds holding the key in the start position). Is this supposed to fire-up this way? I've been looking on-line, so not sure if the engine prime's itself in those 5-6 seconds, or something (fuel injected, so likely not). I was relieved....until, in my panic, I reversed into my own swim platform step (that was a $1000 lesson learned, on day 1).

Anyone know if it's normal to need to turn and hold they key for a few seconds, until it fires the starter? I tried the experience again, shutting off the engine as I returned onto my trailer, then went to start and test it again, and it fired right up as normal, without any 5-6 second delay. Odd.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Jesse
2019 R5. Penta 350HP
Jesse H
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Delayed Start on 5.3L Gen 5 Penta, when turning key?

Post by Jesse H »

Update - Dealer said the boat has some sort of safety mechanism where you cannot start the engine if the trim is all the way up. Hmmm...ok. We'll try this, as this may be the issue, but I don't know for sure.

Happy Boating! C'monnn Spring/Summer. Get here, already!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Was your trim all the way up?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:59 pm Was your trim all the way up?
Sounds like it was as he took out his swim step 😬😬
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

There is no ignition cutout on my 2014 R5 / VP-300 - It will start and run regardless of the trim position - and yes props can hit the swim step if drive is up and the step is down. Just something you have to remember. This is my first VP engine, many years of Mercruiser ownership -- I was also surprised to find there is no trim limit on a VP (at least not mine), so it is possible to overtrim the drive -- another thing to understand and just pay attention to.

I know in this case it was an accident -- we all have had our moments -- even after 30+ years of owning boats I still have a "why did I do that" moment now and then. No real damage, but the very first time I took my R5 out I lost that piece of carpet on the transom walk through! Regardless, when it comes to the outdrive, you don't want to even start the engine with the drive in the tilt position, that puts strain on the u-joints.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
Jesse H
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jesse H »

Good points, all. Yes, I've been boating for 25yrs and have never owned a Volvo Penta (Merc after Merc). Hoping the issue was it being trimmed up all the way. And, yeah....buying it from out-of-state from a dealer, we did not get the usual walk-through, which would likely have helped me avoid the trimmed-up/starter issue, as well as helped to spare my swim step. Never imagined a swim platform would be engineered to risk being reached by the prop. Lesson learned. I've never really had any error like this, so fingers crossed looking forward. Haha! Just glad the boat ramp wasn't full of spectators, as we usually see in the summer, yelling "shame! shame! shame!" Ha!
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

I know my 2019 VP will not start if the trim is out of normal range, I assume it is an adjustable setting. My trim sensor went out and it would only start sometimes as the trim readings jump all over the place. I learned a few tricks like holding the key to start it until the switch was replaced. You should see an error on the small VP screen if this is the reason.

All that said, mine has always started regardless of the trim position if the switch is working, when the switch went bad, it would read outside of 1-100, negative numbers and above 100%.