226 vs newer cobalt

kevincs23
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

226 vs newer cobalt

Post by kevincs23 »

Good day all,
This is a post just for informational purposes and maybe a bit of fun discussion.

I purchased a 2006 226 earlier this year and it has been an absolute dream come true. I have wanted this boat since they were new in the early 2000's and it hasn't disappointed. But, it does have over 600 hours and is 17 years old with some maintenance items and interior wear to prove it. Now I can't help but wonder what a newer model would improve on this boat, in particular a CS23.

My boat does have a big block (merc 496 375hp), and I know that is not available in the new one, but I suspect with the mer 6.2l 350hp would be quite good in it. But do the newer boats improve in other ways like a smoother ride or overall build quality?

There are a couple features that would be nice. I really like the wakeboard tower that Cobalt puts on the CS23 and the idea of cruise control sounds amazing as my family does a lot of wakeboarding and holding a constant 17-18 mph speed for my 6 year old is difficult.

Other than those couple of features though, I can't imagine that these newer boats are much better though. Is there something that I'm missing that would make an upgrade in the future worth while? Or is just keeping my boat and making it exactly how I want the more reasonable route.

I am posting this just out of curiosity and maybe some others will get some good info out of it.
2006 Cobalt 226 Merc 496 Mag (375 hp)
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Re: 226 vs newer cobalt

Post by Lifelongbtr »

I can't speak to ride quality old vs. new, what I see for most of changes besides styling is really technology, and water sports, if you want to surf you need a newer or different boat.

Guy who bought my 2007 installed cruise control on it, not sure if it was perfect pass or not, said it was around $1500.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Just my opinion, but I think your boat was made during the peak years of Cobalt design and quality. I keep reading about newer Cobalts having issues with stainless steel screws that rust, gelcoat that spider cracks, towers that have corrosion under the paint, etc.

That said, I would not turn down an offer of a ride on a newer Cobalt that has surf capabilities.
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Hey, we could work out a trade!

btw CS23 tower is very tall even folded so we did not get one because I dont have a 12' door
CS23
kevincs23
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kevincs23 »

Titaniumboy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:38 pm Just my opinion, but I think your boat was made during the peak years of Cobalt design and quality. I keep reading about newer Cobalts having issues with stainless steel screws that rust, gelcoat that spider cracks, towers that have corrosion under the paint, etc.

That said, I would not turn down an offer of a ride on a newer Cobalt that has surf capabilities.
It seems like I have seen this more than once, I definitely like the lines of my boat (maybe my favorite as far as looks go) and the build quality really seems second to none. But every manufacturer has some quality control issues and I'm not sure how often these issues are really found.

I am really just curious to see what owners of all the Cobalt generations have to say. I really like my boat and was wondering if I am missing out on anything in the newer boats.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Titaniumboy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:38 pm Just my opinion, but I think your boat was made during the peak years of Cobalt design and quality.
+1
I would consider everything that needs to be done to make the boat like new and try and get it done this offseason.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Sumgai
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Sumgai »

i think the end of the golden-age of the inboard/outboard era was 2009, some carrying forward to be sold as 2010 models (with 2009-production motors) which DID NOT have the engine catalytic converters, 02 sensors, and related electronics to conform to automobile emission standards. In a car the automotive designers have built cooling channels/vents into the automobile to prevent heat soak from the cats. (exception was my 1980 TR8 where the cats sat under the gas tank and heated up the gas so much that the car would coast to a stop with vapor lock, but they were still learning cats in 1980). In a boat, manufacturer's enclose the motor in a fire-resistant box, with not even a crankshaft fan in the little box and vents to begin to dissipate that enormous heat generation. Born to die.

Most people buy the Cobalt for the hull, it is their trademark. No real secret, just thousand lbs+ more than most other makers put in their hull. Gives you that 1955 Buick Roadmaster ride, Buick called it the "million dollar ride" - floating on a cloud.

"We can rebuild it, we have the technology" When you have the wood-free cobalt-bones hull, you can hang new parts off it to keep your boat going indefinitely.

Or until restoration/repair labor costs price it out of commission.

In 2008 my old sea ray was remotored. $3,212 for a rebuilt jasper mercruiser 5.7 with a warranty. Good times.
And labor cost at the Marina was $85/hour. Around $5,800 for the whole shebang.

Price a remotor today, and as a former Cobalt service manager has stated on this forum, with $135/hour labor cost at the marina.

If you have a family memory called a cobalt that has been in the family for generations, price is no object to keep it running.

If you are putting a $40k remotor into a boat that is selling for $30k on the used market, gulp.

Labor costs will continue to increase, gurandamteed.

So you ask, restore or buy new.

Been there, done that. Had all the cat-motor heat soak problems I cared to with my TR8. So I bought new this time, outboard R4. Love the million dollar ride of a 2 and half ton hull, love the reduced maintenance costs for the outboard. Love the all-new fittings hanging off the Cobalt hull that are under warranty for awhile.

Keep 'em running if you got 'em since you like your boat. New or used, floating a boat on water is the ultimate outcome. How you spend your money to achieve that result is your business.
'22 Cobalt R4 OB
'98 Sea Ray 230 Signature Select
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Sumgai wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:26 am
gurandamteed
My first time seeing this word spelled. Agreed. LOL
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Matts19
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Matts19 »

Just chiming in to say that we really like our CS23 but I can't say its fundamentally any "better" than your 226. It will have more technology, which can be good and bad. In response to @dustinm's comment above, the tower on the 2022 and newer folds lower than the earlier models. We can fit ours under a 8 door with the tower folded on a boatmate trailer.
2022 CS23 Volvo 280/DP
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I have a 2015, which is the same boat as they sold in 2009 except for some of the options like electronics and seagrass carpets. I'm changing out the stereo stuff anyway, so that's not a big deal, and the rest of the boat still looks pretty new. I do like the styling of the 210 more than the 212 which influenced my original purchase, but if I were in the market for a boat today I'd probably buy a used 210 or R3 rather than one of the newer models.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Matts19 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:49 am Just chiming in to say that we really like our CS23 but I can't say its fundamentally any "better" than your 226. It will have more technology, which can be good and bad. In response to @dustinm's comment above, the tower on the 2022 and newer folds lower than the earlier models. We can fit ours under a 8 door with the tower folded on a boatmate trailer.
WHAT!!!

seriously tho .. can I see some pics?
CS23
kevincs23
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kevincs23 »

Matts19 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:49 am Just chiming in to say that we really like our CS23 but I can't say its fundamentally any "better" than your 226. It will have more technology, which can be good and bad. In response to @dustinm's comment above, the tower on the 2022 and newer folds lower than the earlier models. We can fit ours under a 8 door with the tower folded on a boatmate trailer.
That is pretty awesome. I'm 6' and my windshield alone is at least a foot over me. I would love to be able to store it in a garage.

How does your CS23 take the 2-3 foot chop or big surf boat wakes? My 226 is a huge improvement from my previous boat (Reinell 200) but still can get rocked pretty good and will need to slow down to 20-25 or so for a comfortable ride.
kevincs23
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kevincs23 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:07 am I have a 2015, which is the same boat as they sold in 2009 except for some of the options like electronics and seagrass carpets. I'm changing out the stereo stuff anyway, so that's not a big deal, and the rest of the boat still looks pretty new. I do like the styling of the 210 more than the 212 which influenced my original purchase, but if I were in the market for a boat today I'd probably buy a used 210 or R3 rather than one of the newer models.
How do you like the seagrass vs carpet or sea deck? Mine doesn't have anything but does have the snaps and I want to do something but can't decide what. I'm liking the sea grass idea right now.
Matts19
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Matts19 »

dustinm wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:14 am
WHAT!!!

seriously tho .. can I see some pics?
I don’t have a good pic with it folded, but here you can see it on the trailer without the Bimini to see how the tower differs. The top of the tower folds flush with the windshield now and the highest point is at the base where it folds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2022 CS23 Volvo 280/DP
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Ok here's my opinion. The 496 can get rebuilt plan on 10k plus the drive to do it right. So interior another $7500
So your into it easy for another 20k.
After riding in Dustins cs23 I'll say my 220 handles the rough water better than his. Other than that the cs23 rides great and I wouldn't give it a second thought on a purchase. But I would go to a R3. Cs23 will be faster though but again it wont ride as nice as a R3. I wish I got to drive his more than going to the launch. I screwed up there and should have asked to take it for a rip down the lake so the wife could experience it more too. But I jumped on it a little bit and it rips. So yes the new 6.2 will be just fine. I would go volvo. Just saying.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!