Engine Noise Level - Merc Vs VP

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
drekar
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Engine Noise Level - Merc Vs VP

Post by drekar »

I've posted different engine questions but there's one that I can't seem to find any documentation.

This would be for a 2018+ engine comparison.

Someone mentioned that a VP 280 would be a little louder than a VP300 at running speed because it would need higher RPMs to achieve the same speed. Has anyone compared the VP280 to the Merc 6.2 300 or the VP300 to the Merc 6.2 300. I'm curious how the shifting felt and how the noise was. I realize this is a specific question, just curious.

Dave
Stagdad
Commander
Commander

Re: Engine Noise Level - Merc Vs VP

Post by Stagdad »

I have owned older Mercruisers and now a VP duoprop. It seems like the VP is a little louder as far as exhaust note goes. From what I can tell Merc exhaust exits solely through the prop hub and the VP exits above the props. I like the V8 sound so not an issue. I haven't owned a Bravo drive but the VP wins the smooth shifting award hands down compared to an Alpha!
Stagdad(Brian & Linda)
220s V8 300VP
Home Port Northern KY
Away Port Lake Cumberland / Dale Hollow
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Re: Engine Noise Level - Merc Vs VP

Post by stifflkd »

The VP's tend to be louder due to their higher RPM's. The Merc's because of the lower RPM and the air intake facing the transom are said to quieter. I only have the VP to compare but what I can say is that due to their variable timing, their torque range is very wide and has a bit of punch above cruise. Being closed cooled as a standard is a plus for me boating in SW.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"