Opinions on 232's?- Looking at clean 2009 model

(190 through 360)
JimiJohnB
Ensign
Ensign

Opinions on 232's?- Looking at clean 2009 model

Post by JimiJohnB »

Hi folks,

My family of 4 is looking to get into a first boat. After nearly committing to a 2008 Sea Ray Sundeck 240, I discovered Cobalts. My wallet may come out lighter but the Cobalts def seem to be a better constructed boat.

There is a clean sub 300hr Cobalt 232 that I'm strongly considering. It is powered by the Volvo 5.7 Gi, and comes with what appears to be a stock wakeboard tower. Interior/gel coat look great. Strong service records are provided.

Any owners out there want to comment on how they've found the 232's to be for family boating? I see us doing some tubing and maybe some wakeboarding, but water sports are not our primary focus. While we usually will just be the family of 4, it would not be uncommon to have a total of 6 or even 8 on the boat at once.

How do these trailer? Would be pulling with a 2015 Expedition with HD tow package.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated (including from 222/242 owners) about things to look/watch out for.

Thanks in advance!

-jb
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Opinions on 232's?- Looking at clean 2009 model

Post by kas232ca »

Welcome!!

We have a 2006 232 with the 8.1 engine. I've never driven one with the smaller engine, but it should be fine, but if you can find a big block that would be optimum though. We usually just boat with 4 people, but have had 7 on it and it was tight with all adults. Its a great boat, handles well, etc. It is heavy though. You should be fine towing with the Expedition. I believe my boat and trailer weighs about 7125 lbs. with a half a tank of fuel and all of our stuff.

How much are they asking for the boat?
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us jb.

The 232 is a nice craft. You will certainly enjoy the quality over the Sea Ray.
You Expedition frame on truck design will be fine towing that model.
I prefer a big block as well but the small block V8 will be fine for your purposes.
Any pics of this possible purchase?

And welcome aboard mate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
JimiJohnB
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JimiJohnB »

Thanks for information. I'm still keeping my eyes open for one with a big block but feel I'm unlikely to find another as clean as the one I've got my sights on. The Sea Ray 240 I nearly purchased had a 350mag w/ bravo 3, a boat i believe is at least 500lbs heavier than the 232, and the power seemed more than adequate. But i've not driven a big block....

There seem to be different rear seating configurations/stern layouts for these 232's - some have a solid/fixed rear bench seat with higher sun pad, whereas others have the rear bench with back that folds aft/stern to enlarge the sun pad (this layout looks preferable, though the boat i'm looking at has the first option).

Asking price is $40k.
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

232 is a great boat. For its size a small block will be just fine. I would buy condition first and power plant second. Otherwise you might be boatless for a while.
CS23
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

All the 232's that we looked at before buying a R3 had the fixed back seat. One of the reasons we sprung for the R3 over a CS22 was the real of the boat was better for hanging out.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

JimiJohnB wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:37 pm Thanks for information. I'm still keeping my eyes open for one with a big block but feel I'm unlikely to find another as clean as the one I've got my sights on. The Sea Ray 240 I nearly purchased had a 350mag w/ bravo 3, a boat i believe is at least 500lbs heavier than the 232, and the power seemed more than adequate. But i've not driven a big block....

There seem to be different rear seating configurations/stern layouts for these 232's - some have a solid/fixed rear bench seat with higher sun pad, whereas others have the rear bench with back that folds aft/stern to enlarge the sun pad (this layout looks preferable, though the boat i'm looking at has the first option).

Asking price is $40k.
The 232 changed in the 2006 model year to the configuration you are looking at. I also believe it is the same hull with a head that became the 242 in later years.

That seems like a fair asking price since it has a trailer. Since the season is winding down for much of the country, you should be able to get it in the high 30's range.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoDuckDad »

I didn't see it mentioned...a survey from a qualified mechanic will keep you from buying a problem boat. It will also give you some leverage on price should they find something needing attention. Lastly, a sea trial is a must. If possible, take a buddy who owns a similar boat (length, in/out drive). You will be smiling ear to ear because you are on the water in a Cobalt. Let your buddy drive and look it over as he knows more about boats. Best of luck!
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

TwoDuckDad wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:56 am I didn't see it mentioned...a survey from a qualified mechanic will keep you from buying a problem boat. It will also give you some leverage on price should they find something needing attention. Lastly, a sea trial is a must. If possible, take a buddy who owns a similar boat (length, in/out drive). You will be smiling ear to ear because you are on the water in a Cobalt. Let your buddy drive and look it over as he knows more about boats. Best of luck!
+1
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
kbloom72
Commander
Commander

Post by kbloom72 »

There is a really nice 2008 232 with a big block for sale in Austin area. 44K + the trailer.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 971794528/
2005 Cobalt 262
Fox River Grove, IL
CBO
Commander
Commander

Post by CBO »

When looking at this vintage of boats there are a few items to look at that will most likely need repair and should be considered in the negotiations when discussing price. These are items that I was unaware of when I bought ours.
-Buckets seats will most likely be broken and need the Slide Rule repairs kits.
-Bow light will most likely be corroded on the inside. Really no way to see this but to remove the lens. FYI, they are not available anymore.
-Make sure the trim gauge and sending unit are working correctly. These are expensive parts to fix.
-Upholstery, this vintage of boats is at the age the upholstery will need to be redone. I am seeing quotes of 10k-15k for redoing the interior.
-Gelcoat repairs and buffing. If it's not really shiny then it needs some attention. I stopped and talked with Lee (Local boydidgood, youtube) in Lake Chelan and showed him pictures of my boat he was quoting me around $1200 to rub it out. If there are any nicks or dings that will need to be filled and repaired that's additional money.
-Motor and Outdrive, double and triple look these over. These are the most expensive parts to fix even if you do the work yourself. Be cautious, Cobalt installed a lot of the plastic ocean outdrives that were recalled and parts are no longer available. If it has a plastic outdrive take 20K of the price because that's what it will cost you to replace it.

Again, these are things that I would take into consideration when discussing price. I understand that it's a 14 year old boat, but it surprises me that people will use the NADA retail/high values and not take the actual condition of the product into consideration. I see a lot of "it's in excellent condition" out there. Here is what my bank uses to qualify something in excellent condition, Excellent condition means that the vessel and trailer looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vessel and trailer has never had any paint or body work and the trailer is free of rust. The vessel and trailer have a clean Title History and will pass a safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vessel also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5 percent of all used vessels fall into this category.
2007 Cobalt 222
Rathdrum, ID
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

I have an '06 232 with an 8.1 OSi VP engine, less than 400 hrs after 2 yrs
The main concern would be salt vs fresh use and whether has closed loop cooling if in Salt (applies to any boat, not just Cobalt.)
May or may not be an issue if your intended use is salt or fresh lake
I am really pleased with mine - the 232 is a great platform, we really enjoy particularly the pass-through, the convertible/flip rear bench and the swim deck platform. And the HUGE storage space (including a real or make-shift (sic) commode option in the forward stowage areas!)
Since purchasing I replaced my trailer (for Salt application) and did repair to Gelcoat, replaced Sea Water Pump, main Drive Belt and Throttle Body but these were all easy achievable 'fixes'. Replacement Trailer (and indeed Original) - were/are towed by Lxus LX470 and seems well within its remit
Bottom line ... we LOVE this boat! It may be 18 yrs old but has a relatively 'young' motor and only required a few maintenance items
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington
okielaker
Captain
Captain

Post by okielaker »

CBO wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:23 am

-Bow light will most likely be corroded on the inside. Really no way to see this but to remove the lens.
FYI, they are not available anymore.

"The Aqua Signal Series 24 Bi-Color Navigation Light is a direct
replacement for the same light found on Cobalt, Thunderbird, Formula,
Campion, KalCustom, and Starcraft boats."

Can't speak to the 232, but this nav light was a perfect replacement for
the one I dropped in the lake, on my 272.
2008 272 8.1L 375hp VP
Buncombe Creek, Lake Texoma