Where is the fuse panel on 2003 Cobalt 220?

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
sbrooks32
Ensign
Ensign

Where is the fuse panel on 2003 Cobalt 220?

Post by sbrooks32 »

My navigation light isn't working... checked bulb, it was good... but replaced with a new bulb. No luck. Didn't have multimeter with me, but hunted for a fuse and couldn't find one. Toggle switch brings in the light beside it indicating that it has power, but seems to have no power at the light.

Also, half of my speakers aren't working... the ones powered from the factory amplifier. Either it has gone out, or there may be a fuse issue there too.

Any one with a '03 or similar vintage 220 that can help with fuse locations?

Thanks in advance,
sbrooks32
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Re: Where is the fuse panel on 2003 Cobalt 220?

Post by SAB220 »

There is no fuse panel. The fuses for the boat are pop out (white) fuses on the helm. There are engine fuses, and equipment items, like stereos have there on in-line fuse. The navigation light, I bet, is corroded and you need a new one. Speakers need to be replaced. You need to realize you own a 20 year boat and you need to treat it that way (upgrade & replace). Your initial boat dollars always go to the engine and the outdrive.
2004 220
sbrooks32
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sbrooks32 »

That could be the case, but the navigation light contacts didn't look to be corroded at all when I changed the bulb. I'll take the multi-meter with me next time, but I suspect it isn't getting voltage. I put in an upgraded stereo several years ago with a new amp. I split out the speakers between the factory amp and the new amp and moved the sub to the new amp. The new amp has an in-line fuse at the battery... it is fine. The old amp may have died, but it just seemed odd that the it failed at the same time as the navigation light (between last summer and this summer). I've owned the boat for 10 years, but haven't had to do much to it at all (so far). The owners manual referred to fuses being behind the cabin electrical panel... that was confusing me.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us SB32….

Ditto SAB220’s comments.

If there are no circuit breakers popped then maybe try some contact cleaner in that socket. I’m curious, has it lit up in the past? In what position are you placing the switch? Anchor?

And welcome aboard mate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
sbrooks32
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sbrooks32 »

appreciate the replies... I tried the switch in both positions... I have not tried the anchor light yet to see if it is working. Docking lights were working fine. The boat was used a lot for the first several years and then sat in covered storage the past few years due to the declining health of one of my sons. We've used it several times this summer and noticed the issue with only half the speakers working immediately... but we only discovered the nav light didn't work when we were planning to stay out late on a recent evening and tested it. I put new batteries in this year, but I did use a jump box to supply enough juice to trim up the prop prior to transporting the boat out of storage and replacing the batteries. I suspected using that jump box may have caused the circuit to pull too many amps due to low voltage and blown a fuse. I did determine today that the speaker issue is tracked to the factory amp. I swapped out the nav light bulb today, but that did not resolve the issue. The nav light has worked in the past, but hasn't been used for a few years.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Roger that.
Honestly it sounds like a loose wire. 90% of the time it’s something simple.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)