2007 220 Gas Tank Access

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

2007 220 Gas Tank Access

Post by Canterbury »

Hi all,

I have a 2007 220 with some performance issues (separate thread in the VP forum). One thing that I want to replace is the Anti-siphon valve as I am not sure that this has ever been replaced. How would I access the fuel tank area to get to this and change this out?

Thanks
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Re: 2007 220 Gas Tank Access

Post by SAB220 »

Attached . Should be first fitting leaving the tank. If your a brave soul and you have room you can change the filter on the bottom of the sending unit. Suggest you also change the round cylindrical filter up stream of the anti-siphon - change that too. When you get it running pour the contents of the gas/water filter into a clear glass cup and wait 1o minutes - see any water/separation??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 220
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

The gas tank access is below one of the rear seats?
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Yes and under a STBD access panel with 3 or 4 screws ( don't remember) and don't strip the screws...1/4 turn readjust, 1/4 turn readjust......and on a 220 you can't see what turning because your outstretched right arm is in the way. You also need to take a decorative carpeted bullhead panel off (220) because the panel is covering some of the access panel screws. Suggest anyone with a 20 year old boat replace this anti-siphon valve... its just another thing for your long R&R list.
2004 220
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Canterbury »

Thanks for the feedback SAB, I will pick one of those up. Another thread that I subsequently found had a part link for a 3/8" sized fitting.

viewtopic.php?t=6641

On the other filter, is that inside the engine bay or the seat compartment? I find it odd that there is a filter before the gas filter.
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Canterbury »

As a follow-up on this topic, I did access the fuel tank top, and what a pain it is to reach. Figured I would pass along some tips to make it easier.

As SAB mentioned, located under the starboard rear seat but toward the center pretty much under the center walk. The phillips screws are very tiny and to SAB's point be careful to get a good grip with the screwdriver. I had to try several screwdriver tips to get a good connection to the screw head. The flip down seat gets in the way in a big way, especially for the inner most 2 screws.

The connector itself is a 1/4" for the tank end NOT the 3/8" like I referenced above (and purchased). Had to head over to the local marina to get the correct one. This didnt end up being the issue, but might as well replace now that you have the cover off and your ribs are black and blue from the flip seat. :-)

There are 2 small clamps holding the rubber line to the fitting. If the hose has been on for a while, need to break the "seal" to the fitting, I just used a flat head. No real good way to get leverage to pull out the fitting from the rubber line, so I started to unscrew with a wrench. Because of the "seal" it would just snap back and screw in where it was. I then figured out to turn the wrench and hold the turn while the line slowly snapped back. Eventually was able to get the fitting off and pull it away from the line.

Yes, I need to do some cleaning inside this compartment. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Wow Canterbury.. nice job my friend.
We appreciate the documentation and pics too. I'm sure your info will be put to good use for someone else in the same predicament.
With the amount of work you did we easily excuse the mess. :D

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Canterbury - good job. BTW never pull a old rubber hose directly off. Always try, after taking the clamps off, to rotate the hose "On the fitting" 90 degrees (up and down) or so (pliers) to break the clamp seal before trying to prying off the hose. And if your traveling for the boat, always have a tool box in the car containing standard tools, just in case tools, and worst case tools requiring AC power/battery. Good luck
2004 220