anyone have spy shots of the new CS series?

greengiant44
Ensign
Ensign

anyone have spy shots of the new CS series?

Post by greengiant44 »

Wondering if anyone has, or could point me to spy shots of the new CS22/23 that are forthcoming. Thanks!
Tlang901
Ensign
Ensign

Re: anyone have spy shots of the new CS series?

Post by Tlang901 »

Wow, I didnt know there are plans to redesign the CS series. Really looking forward to that if thats the case. I think they could really make that line a high seller since the price point is significantly cheaper than getting into an R series.
greengiant44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by greengiant44 »

I've heard it from 3 dealers now. But I've not seen a thing yet.
Kenboat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kenboat »

Just picked up a 2023 CS 22, I really like the boat and hull design. Hopefully they dont put a large arch on it and make it more rounded such as the Regal, and other boats. The Cobalt is a classic looking boat.
GhostWhisperer
Commander
Commander

Post by GhostWhisperer »

Hate to hear this. We went with our CS for the sculpted lines and large stern set up. My guess is the hull will be grafted into the Malibu family look that the R4 has. Design by committee on their "entry level" boats. I've seen a few vids of the '24 CS interior and you can see the accountants have already been busy. Much less detail on the color blocking/edging on the upholstery and "meh" materials on the dash - and noticed the cooler has been shrunken quite a bit compared to ours. Glad we ordered when we did. Very happy with our boat but can't say we'll race back to the brand if we decide to trade in the future.
2021 CS22 - Black Hull/White Bootstrap/Red Platform and Logo - Volvo DP 280 V6 - North Georgia Lakes - Boat name: "GHOST"
GhostWhisperer
Commander
Commander

Post by GhostWhisperer »

Not sure how accurate this is but the local dealer has this image posted on their site listed as a '24 CS23...Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2021 CS22 - Black Hull/White Bootstrap/Red Platform and Logo - Volvo DP 280 V6 - North Georgia Lakes - Boat name: "GHOST"
GhostWhisperer
Commander
Commander

Post by GhostWhisperer »

First new live shots and video of the updated CS23.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2024-co ... 3-9155461/

As a CS owner I can say this thing has been value engineered and then some. Regal will eat their lunch at this size in the market.

The interior padding and seam work has been VERY much simplified. Note the coaming pads, rear seat back. The storage compartments don't have the lining and rubber mats they once did, grab rails are set off in odd spots that didn't require the integration and finish they once did.

The dash looks like it's right out of the Malibu stock bin. The sun deck and engine bay-and service space around the engine- is decreased. I get that these days bigger is better with boats and everything else, but I still believe there is a market out there looking for a smaller, more sporty boat with great finishes and details.

Sorry but they should have just killed the model and gone all in on the R's. This cheapens the brand.
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

That looks like absolute dog sh.... I really wish they would have renamed the boat as well, this generic little tikes malibu version will greatly tarnish the CS reputation
CS23
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

Pretty sad. Major step backwards . Just not the company they once were. Hasn't been a model released since Malibu took over that I've liked. They all now seem to look modern vs classic and cheap vs luxury. I'm not sure I'd want a Cobalt that's been built since 2018 unless I was into surfing.

Kinda reminds me of what happened with Chris-craft. They were once great, then fell off a cliff, but have seemed to turn around again especially under the direction of Winnebago. Hopefully that happens with Cobalt and they reassume their spot in the top of the food chain discussion. Formula seems to be all about the bigger boats these days, but there seems to be an opportunity for them to also dominate the high end bowrider market in the 20-30 foot range like Cobalt had been for years.

I could be totally off regarding the market though. Maybe Malibu is delivering what the mass market wants. They aren't building boats that I want though.
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
2010 Key West 186 DC - retired
Lake Winnipesaukee
Dropped Anchor
Captain
Captain

Post by Dropped Anchor »

I am going to check this out at the boat show. The CS 22 is about 3,700 pounds and the 23 is 4,000 pounds.
2019 CS22
240 DP

Lake Martin, AL
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

We have an R8 Surf which we really enjoy. If we hadn't of wanted to get into surfing we would have kept our 2016 A25. We had a lot of issues with that boat, which Cobalt took care of, but it's still a pain to deal with them. Our R8 hasn't had near as many issues. We've had a few gel coat cracks but other than that it's been perfect. I do like the styling of the old R series and the old CS series better than the new ones though.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

Cobalt posted video to FB of the new CS22:

- Mark
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
GhostWhisperer
Commander
Commander

Post by GhostWhisperer »

I checked out the CS models at the show. We still love our 2021 CS's lines (especially the stern). Based on what I saw, "if" we were in the market for this size and price point again we would be right over at the Regal stand.
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

Yep, it’s a major step backwards. I’m glad I’ve got an R5 Surf and I’ll likely keep it for another 10+ years.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
Dropped Anchor
Captain
Captain

Post by Dropped Anchor »

Checked it out today. Some really stupid moves. The whole entry with the flip over cushion is stupid. New cooler location is terrible. The old CS had a sexy design. This is basic AF watered down R4.
2019 CS22
240 DP

Lake Martin, AL