Shifter too loose. How to tighten??

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
BillTompkins
Ensign
Ensign

Shifter too loose. How to tighten??

Post by BillTompkins »

Hello all.. First and foremost thank you all for all the information on this forum, the information here has been overly valuable to me as a first time boat owner.

I have a 2019 220S with a VP V6 280HP DP. I bought the boat with only 64 hours on it and it's essentially spotless (had a full survey on the boat and the surveyor said if I didn't buy it that he would). We used it for about a month of 2023 (we bought it in August, late in the season) and its been outstanding so far. Like many of you out there, there are a few things I want to get done before the start of the 2024 season and I'm working on those things.

One thing I've noticed is that the throttle handle is very easy to manipulate, too easy in fact. As we're moving and hit some gentle wake from oncoming boats in the bay, the throttle will get moved to a faster/higher RPM 'setting' just from the boat being 'jostled' from the wake of another boat. When I say gentle wake, I mean gentle wake, I don't mean the boat slamming back onto the water after hitting 3-4ft waves or wake, I mean gentle wake. This obviously makes for a very awkward ride for passengers and a sense of paranoia for a new owner trying to create a smooth ride and not injure anyone on board.

The question is this: Is there a way to tighten or create additional tension on the shifter/throttle handle where I can 'play' with the tension to see what works the best for me where I'm not changing the amount of throttle being applied every 30-40 seconds based on water conditions.

I've been out on other friends boats, borrowed their boats, driven there boats for them at times (not Cobalts) many times and can't recall any of their boats throttle being as sensitive as mine is requiring me (or their owners) to have to 'manage' the throttle like I have to in my boat.

I've looked in my manual and there is a statement that reads as follows: "Volvo Penta controls have a Friction Break that can be adjusted to provide lighter or heavier lever action. If your control is too hard or too easy to move, see your dealer for adjustment"

Just curious if anyone here has done this before. Any assistance would help greatly, thank you in advance.
2019 220S - Volvo 280HP, DP
'Why Not' (for now)
Beach Haven West, NJ
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Shifter too loose. How to tighten??

Post by jhnmdahl »

Yeah, it's part of the lever mechanism. If you can post a picture of the throttle control you have it may help people here identify which one it is and help guide you to adjusting it if you choose to do it yourself.

It's most likely a screw (hex, if I remember) behind the cap covering where the throttle arm pivots, but Volvo changed from throttle cable to fly-by-wire sometime around the time your boat was made and it may be different. If I remember right, you're supposed to adjust it with the throttle lever in gear too, rather than in neutral.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
BillTompkins
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BillTompkins »

Great call JH.. Here is a pic of the throttle mechanism on the boat, hopefully someone has some experience with one of these.

'Why Not' (for now)
Beach Haven West, NJ
terp77
Ensign
Ensign

Post by terp77 »

Following
WaveSplitter
Ensign
Ensign

Post by WaveSplitter »

Hey, adjusting the throttle handle tension might do the trick. Give your manual a look or reach out to the dealer for some pointers. They should be able to guide you through it.
BillTompkins
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BillTompkins »

Thanks all, I have looked in the manual and there is 'some' content about the Friction Break for the throttle lever, but doesn't go into any detail as to how to do it or get to it. So, the experiment will begin soon.
'Why Not' (for now)
Beach Haven West, NJ