Cost comparison using Gas Consumption

MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Cost comparison using Gas Consumption

Post by MnLakeBum »

RobL wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:43 pm Good looking boat, looks like lots of run in the bow.
MnLakeBum wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:01 pmThere are lots of great options out there so it’s worth looking at more than one brand. If your boating needs include sleeping quarters up front in that 32-35 foot range I still think a Cobalt is one of the best options. For the ocean or very large freshwater lakes, I like some of the other brands better.
Darnit, I dipped my toe in the deep end and looked at other brands and ran across Formula 350 Crossover Bowrider which honestly knocks it out of the park for us. Just need to double+ our available budget :lol:

btw testing a Cobalt 323 this weekend, stoked.
There are LOTS of Formulas down here in Naples to drool over, including this one 150 yards from my boat slip. I’m sure you’re
going to love that 323!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Wow..that's a beauty.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

AsLan7 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:25 am .
Wow..that's a beauty.
This 360 Outrage is parked a few houses down and yes, those are twin Merc 600’s, lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I got to spend some time on a Tiara 38' last year, and these boats have a lot more in common with modern luxury yachts than the bare-bones dedicated fishing center consoles of years past.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

lol. Ya that’s awesome. 1200 hp on a Whaler. I’m hearing the Tim Taylor Tool Time grunt.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
RobL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RobL »

Beautiful boat, wonderfully kept, pops up on plane without a second thought and surprisingly agile. Lack of windlass and looking at operational costs has me rethinking this whole destination premise.

3 hours at cruising speed to go from our marina down to the Chesapeake is about 50 gallons just to start our adventure. Little bit of soul searching going on here.
2014 Cobalt R5 with VP 380hp
2014 Chaparral H2019 previous
1991 Wellcraft 186 Eclipse previous
Home: Tyme N Tyde Marina, Woodbridge, Virginia (Potomac River)
Home away from home: Beech Hill Pond, Maine
RobL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RobL »

MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:11 am
There are LOTS of Formulas down here in Naples to drool over, including this one 150 yards from my boat slip. I’m sure you’re
going to love that 323!
Funny, hanging with my cousin in Naples after testing the 323 in Daytona Beach yesterday. Have family here, I just haven’t been down here in 10 years. Sure doesn’t feel like a quaint little town any more.
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

RobL wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:47 pm
going to love that 323!
Funny, hanging with my cousin in Naples after testing the 323 in Daytona Beach yesterday. Have family here, I just haven’t been down here in 10 years. Sure doesn’t feel like a quaint little town any more.
How was the 323??

It’s changed for sure. We started vacationing here more than 20 years ago and bought our first Naples condo in 2013. I’m looking forward to things quieting down soon as most of the snowbirds will head back north by about April 10th. We’ll be mostly in Florida until the end of May as our MN summers don’t start until June.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
jwill323
Commander
Commander

Post by jwill323 »

RobL wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:28 pm Beautiful boat, wonderfully kept, pops up on plane without a second thought and surprisingly agile. Lack of windlass and looking at operational costs has me rethinking this whole destination premise.

3 hours at cruising speed to go from our marina down to the Chesapeake is about 50 gallons just to start our adventure. Little bit of soul searching going on here.
Windlass is a big one on that boat. Our 280 Sea Ray didn't have one but it was an open bow. Our 323 has one and I couldn't imagine not having it. Not sure if you walked out on the bow but it gets skinny out there with a bit of a downward slope, not the easiest place to be dropping an anchor by hand.
2007 Cobalt 323
Twin 496 Mag HO Bravo 3X
2016 Seadoo Wake Pro 215
2001 Sea Ray 280 BR (previous)
1988 Four Winns 210 Horizon (previous)
RobL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RobL »

MnLakeBum wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:06 am
going to love that 323!
How was the 323??

It’s changed for sure. We started vacationing here more than 20 years ago and bought our first Naples condo in 2013. I’m looking forward to things quieting down soon as most of the snowbirds will head back north by about April 10th. We’ll be mostly in Florida until the end of May as our MN summers don’t start until June.
We’ve had family here since early 80s, they just a bit jaded with the influx of them damn Northerners 😝 I make it down here every couple of years. My cousin owns a AV installation business, another banking mortgages or similar.

Thoroughly enjoyed the 323 and the test run out at point inlet/Daytona Beach. I found a captain for hire who works part time for Freedom boat club he spent the majority of the time mentoring me on the boat, its operation, and navigating the waterways (paying close heed to markers). Incredible learning experience. I hadn’t operated a twin engine before so he walked me through docking procedures with me at the helm, repeating the procedures multiple times. The lessons were worth their weight in gold (I will share contact information via PM)

Ironically, the seller is from MN. We spent some time via FaceTime walking through the boat.
RobL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RobL »

jwill323 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:32 am
RobL wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:28 pm Beautiful boat, wonderfully kept, pops up on plane without a second thought and surprisingly agile. Lack of windlass and looking at operational costs has me rethinking this whole destination premise.

Windlass is a big one on that boat. Our 280 Sea Ray didn't have one but it was an open bow. Our 323 has one and I couldn't imagine not having it. Not sure if you walked out on the bow but it gets skinny out there with a bit of a downward slope, not the easiest place to be dropping an anchor by hand.
Windlass is a must have imho I did go on the bow to check out the anchor locker and discovered few handholds and the downward slope does resemble a slide - I can’t image anchor work in any kind of rough water.

AC cooled surprisingly quick! Very impressed. Looks like the strainers are tough to get to (in front of the engines?). Would need to clean these out regularly I understand - lots of muddy water and hydrilla where we boat.

That bowthruster was powerful, didn’t need it on the intercoastal, suspect I would use it on the Potomac due to the current holding boats on the dock.
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"Windlass is a must have imho"

That's an easy add. I did it. Look at the Lewmar V700.
RobL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RobL »

Kate wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:31 am "Windlass is a must have imho"

That's an easy add. I did it. Look at the Lewmar V700.
Did you have the windlass feed through the hull? I started looking at all the components needed to put this together (including helm control, digital counter if done right) and my eyes kind of glazed over.
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"Did you have the windlass feed through the hull?"

No. Went through the deck (just like you have) with a vertical windlass (Lewmar v700), pulpit, and all chain (which feeds into the locker directly below deck). Helm control is installing the switch and simple wiring, plus wiring to the breaker and battery. Instead of a digital counter, I marked the chain every ten feet. Anchor type depends, of course, on your typical anchoring conditions.

Compared to the ballerina moves I was doing, it was the best add ever.
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

RobL wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:04 am
MnLakeBum wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:06 am

How was the 323??

We’ve had family here since early 80s, they just a bit jaded with the influx of them damn Northerners 😝 I make it down here every couple of years. My cousin owns a AV installation business, another banking mortgages or similar.

Thoroughly enjoyed the 323 and the test run out at point inlet/Daytona Beach. I found a captain for hire who works part time for Freedom boat club he spent the majority of the time mentoring me on the boat, its operation, and navigating the waterways (paying close heed to markers). Incredible learning experience. I hadn’t operated a twin engine before so he walked me through docking procedures with me at the helm, repeating the procedures multiple times. The lessons were worth their weight in gold (I will share contact information via PM)

Ironically, the seller is from MN. We spent some time via FaceTime walking through the boat.

I been out fishing on the Gulf recently with a neighbor who has his captains license and I’ve learned a lot in our 15 hours or so out on the water. As far as the damn Northerners go, I’m certainly one but my wife’s family has been in Florida since before the Civil War. :P Her mom has lived in FL most of her life and my wife was born at the Marine base near Pensacola in 1965 and spent most of her childhood in Florida and southern Alabama. My parents bought a condo in Pompano Beach back in 1980 and had it for 25 years so I remember how different it was back in the day. Even Naples is a lot more crowded than it was 11 years ago when we first bought a place here.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP