New to Cobalt

ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

New to Cobalt

Post by ph2ocraft »

Hello all.
I've just purchased my first Cobalt which is an 03 262 with the 425 horse Bravo 3. It has some great options and I love the boat, quality is just amazing.
I do have one question if I may;
The boat came from high elevation (Lake Tahoe) and I was told it has high elevation props. I'm at sea level (I want to use the boat in the Delta waterways of California and occasionally in the San Francisco Bay.
I understand this particular boat with the stock props should run about 55 mph. Now it runs about 50 and I'm thinking it's due to the props. My question is two part.
Should I change to the standard prop in order to regain some top speed but give up the out of hole and mid range acceleration?
If I change them out, what are the recommendations?
Thanks In Advance
Al
Last edited by ph2ocraft on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: New to Coablt

Post by ajcampen »

Welcome from Ohio. A couple people have your boat and will ask about rear filler cushions as they hunt down a set. Also one member who lives on delta too. They should have answers to your prop question. What pitch is on them now?
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Re: New to Cobalt

Post by ph2ocraft »

Hello and Thank You for the Welcome. I'm not sure on the props at current, was just told high elevation but I'll check this weekend. I do have the filler cushions but I have them installed, can't imagine wanting the split in the padding or the nice wrap around seating.
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

You can go with a little more twist on the props and likely not give up much in hole shot or acceleration. There are a few prop experts on here that will likely chime in shortly, but if you can find numbers on your current props (usually stamped with diameter x pitch somewhere on the hub or the barrel), that will help a lot with suggestions.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Welcome! Part numbers for your props and a serial number for your drive will help a ton. As I said in the other thread, smaller pitch props are likely but you could also have the optional 2.2 ratio drive rather than the standard 1.81 ratio. Best to make sure you know what you have before we can make recommendations....if you can get numbers off the prop and either find the gear ratio or post the serial from the drive (so we can look up the gear ratio), that would be a huge help.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Congrats and welcome from Wisconsin. Did you run your boat at sea level. If you did you should have hit your rev limiter. Need to know your wot also. I bet you should be running around a 26p but I don't know for sure. Aslan has your same boat set up he will chime in and watch those filler cushions they might disappear.:-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Post by ph2ocraft »

jhnmdahl wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:50 pm You can go with a little more twist on the props and likely not give up much in hole shot or acceleration. There are a few prop experts on here that will likely chime in shortly, but if you can find numbers on your current props (usually stamped with diameter x pitch somewhere on the hub or the barrel), that will help a lot with suggestions.

John
Thanks John, I'll get the numbers asap.
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Post by ph2ocraft »

thunder550 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:33 pm Welcome! Part numbers for your props and a serial number for your drive will help a ton. As I said in the other thread, smaller pitch props are likely but you could also have the optional 2.2 ratio drive rather than the standard 1.81 ratio. Best to make sure you know what you have before we can make recommendations....if you can get numbers off the prop and either find the gear ratio or post the serial from the drive (so we can look up the gear ratio), that would be a huge help.
OK Great information as I have no idea. I'll get the number off the drive and prop numbers.
Thanks for the info!!
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Post by ph2ocraft »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:49 pm Congrats and welcome from Wisconsin. Did you run your boat at sea level. If you did you should have hit your rev limiter. Need to know your wot also. I bet you should be running around a 26p but I don't know for sure. Aslan has your same boat set up he will chime in and watch those filler cushions they might disappear.:-)
Thank You for the Welcome.
They're detailing the boat (although it already looked stunning) and they'll deliver it Friday. Those filler cushions LOL I'll be sure to install locks where the slide latches attach LOL
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Post by ph2ocraft »

OK
Here's what I have
Out drive serial number is OM139255 and yes they are 26P Rear number is 823667 and Front is 323668.
Thanks for all the information so far. You guys really rock!!
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

ph2ocraft wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 pm OK
Here's what I have
Out drive serial number is OM139255 and yes they are 26P Rear number is 823667 and Front is 323668.
Thanks for all the information so far. You guys really rock!!
Plugging that serial number in shows a 2.2 drive ratio. That may limit your prop options quite a bit unfortunately. Looks like Mercury makes a 28 pitch set for the B3. Might be able to find some aftermarket props that are steeper still. I'm not familiar with B3 props though. I think we will need some performance data in order to help more...wide open throttle RPM and speed, and whether or not you are hitting the rev limiter.

https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury-mar ... h=0M139255+

Depending on what's available and what your goals are, you may end up wanting to look at regearing to 1.81 or replacing your drive with a standard ratio unit.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Welcome from Ooooooook lahoma!

Get us some pics soon or your boat doesn't exist! Also, Aslan7 will pay big money for your filler cushions. Just sayin..
I have a 262 with a VP 502. My advice? Just run the durn thing and dont worry about the props. Just enjoy the boat!
What kind of options do you have? Color? Upgrade plans?
Looking forward to seeing it!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Welcome from Texas. Glad to have you onboard. More photos or at least some photos!!!!
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Post by ph2ocraft »

Thanks, even though it's a bummer about the 2.2 ratio I'm just looking for stock number which I'm told is about 55 mph with the 425 8.1 set up.
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Post by ph2ocraft »

Ytmsn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:39 pm Welcome from Ooooooook lahoma!

Get us some pics soon or your boat doesn't exist! Also, Aslan7 will pay big money for your filler cushions. Just sayin..
I have a 262 with a VP 502. My advice? Just run the durn thing and dont worry about the props. Just enjoy the boat!
What kind of options do you have? Color? Upgrade plans?
Looking forward to seeing it!
Closest thing I have is the add as it's being detailed=photo's Friday when it's delivered:-)
I would just run it but I want to run it with the stock stuff for sea level.
I'm going to get him separate photo's of the cushions LOL
I'm not sure what's factory and what's option but I do have 425 horse and captains call.
262 425/496
Discovery Bay