New to Cobalt

ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Re: New to Cobalt

Post by ph2ocraft »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:43 pm You really need to get it on the water and see how high she revs. Do you know anyone with a b3 you can borrow props from. Your going to lose your hole shot from what you have with the set of props on it now. Nice set up congrats.
Will do
Thanks
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

ANOTHER 260 SERIES OWNER!!!! YEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Welcome to the CobaltChat forum, ph20craft. So glad you found us.

That model has such beautiful lines and looks so sexy in those pics (although I'm biased :D )
We owned a 2002 262 for almost 10 years with the Volvo Penta 8.1 GI (380hp). She ran 55-58 mph with 26" pitch props. Excellent hole-shot too.

LOVED that hull so much, that we sold her and bought the cuddy version (2005 263) which has your same 496HO engine and 26 pitch B3 props. She currently hits the rev limiter (approximately 5,100rpm) at 650 feet MSL elevation and 1.81 drive running about 62 mph.

With your higher ratio, 28's or even 30's would be appropriate. (I'm considering 28's). Like bbp said, once you get her on the water to test hole shot and speed at wide open throttle (WOT), you'll be able to better judge your needs. Pay particular attention to RPM's at WOT.

As you have read, there are some fantastic resources here regarding drive showers (highly recommended for the B3-- http://www.driveshowers.com/ brand), drive ratios, and prop recommendations. Thunder550 gave some excellent advice in your other B3 thread...viewtopic.php?f=35&t=822

Next you need to post a video!!! (sorry, we just cannot get enough). :lol:

And yes, I neeeeeeed aft seating cushions since I have quite a few folks on our beast. Unfortunately, your gray stripe will not match our interior. Still, great set up you got there. You are going to love that series!
262beach.jpg
263water.jpg

Again, welcome aboard mate!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Post by ph2ocraft »

Thank You for the Welcome, I’m really looking forward to some drive time.
Another question, my cup holders are a terrible looking old white.
I’m guessing somebody traded them out as they look very un Cobalt.
Anybody know the cup diameter so some stainless units can be ordered?
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

ph2ocraft wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 pm Thank You for the Welcome, I’m really looking forward to some drive time.
Yes....change those white plastic cup-holders out! Definitely gives a nicer look when those are updated, ph2ocraft.

Stainless started to become standard in the later model 260 series.

Diameter is 4 1/4 inch (108mm)

You can get unlit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Stainless-St ... t9&vxp=mtr
cup unlit.jpg

OR

Lighted:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Stainless ... 7u&vxp=mtr
cup lit.jpg
Shop around for pricing.
(btw, Big block power is the king of lighted cupholders.) :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

A7's got you covered on cup holders! If you're an Amazon guy instead of ebay, here's a link to pretty much the same thing over there:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097MF4DU

I just put these in my boat, they dress up the interior nicely and they are CHEAP (for a boat part :lol: )

BBP will try to make you get the LED ones. Heck, he even offered to wire them up for me while he was here :) I got the non-LED version though.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:32 pm .
ANOTHER 260 SERIES OWNER!!!! YEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Welcome to the CobaltChat forum, ph20craft. So glad you found us.

That model has such beautiful lines and looks so sexy in those pics (although I'm biased :D )
We owned a 2002 262 for almost 10 years with the Volvo Penta 8.1 GI (380hp). She ran 55-58 mph with 26" pitch props. Excellent hole-shot too.

LOVED that hull so much, that we sold her and bought the cuddy version (2005 263) which has your same 496HO engine and 26 pitch B3 props. She currently hits the rev limiter (approximately 5,100rpm) at 650 feet MSL elevation and 1.81 drive running about 62 mph.

With your higher ratio, 28's or even 30's would be appropriate. (I'm considering 28's). Like bbp said, once you get her on the water to test hole shot and speed at wide open throttle (WOT), you'll be able to better judge your needs. Pay particular attention to RPM's at WOT.

As you have read, there are some fantastic resources here regarding drive showers (highly recommended for the B3-- http://www.driveshowers.com/ brand), drive ratios, and prop recommendations. Thunder550 gave some excellent advice in your other B3 thread...viewtopic.php?f=35&t=822

Next you need to post a video!!! (sorry, we just cannot get enough). :lol:

And yes, I neeeeeeed aft seating cushions since I have quite a few folks on our beast. Unfortunately, your gray stripe will not match our interior. Still, great set up you got there. You are going to love that series!
262beach.jpg
263water.jpg

Again, welcome aboard mate!
Did u ever get a quote to have them made? Was it reasonable?
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes go led on the cup holders. I t550 just didn't trust me to wire his. I'm new at upgrades and I don't like sending other people's money. Also even though your filler cushions are a diff color see he noticed :-) lock them up. He flies all over at night and you never know where he his is. He has enough fuel on board to go around the country twice :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Post by ph2ocraft »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:09 pm
ph2ocraft wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 pm Thank You for the Welcome, I’m really looking forward to some drive time.
Yes....change those white plastic cup-holders out! Definitely gives a nicer look when those are updated, ph2ocraft.

Stainless started to become standard in the later model 260 series.

Diameter is 4 1/4 inch (108mm)

You can get unlit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Stainless-St ... t9&vxp=mtr
cup unlit.jpg

OR

Lighted:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Stainless ... 7u&vxp=mtr
cup lit.jpg

Shop around for pricing.
(btw, Big block power is the king of lighted cupholders.) :D

So I’m assuming the outer edge is 41/4 inches.
Anybody know the drilled hole size?
I’m taking the approach of non stepped cup holders.
I’ve always found with the stepped holders a canned beverage has very little support.
I would prefer deeper straight cup holders so a cozy can be placed around the beverage.
Less spills in the choppy stuff and insulated colder drinks during those hot days.
Or will nobody use a cozy and now the can just loosely sits in the cup holder anyway.
Maybe the stepped is a better idea...
Maybe a nicely insulated cup holder so your beverage sits snug and stays cooler while in the cup holder...
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Post by ph2ocraft »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 am Yes go led on the cup holders. I t550 just didn't trust me to wire his. I'm new at upgrades and I don't like sending other people's money. Also even though your filler cushions are a diff color see he noticed :-) lock them up. He flies all over at night and you never know where he his is. He has enough fuel on board to go around the country twice :-)
Hehe and stitching color is very easy to change;-)
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Post by ph2ocraft »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 am Yes go led on the cup holders.
On the lighted cup holders I have two questions.
What prevents the lights from shorting if you’re laying sweating libations on top of them?

Can you see any of the lighting if you have a cozy around the beverage and sitting in the holder?

Seems like maybe an LED light above and shining down on the cup holder might be a better solution??
Or am I way off in my thought process??
Help, I think I’m over complicating this LOL
262 425/496
Discovery Bay
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

No. You're not way off.... We laugh about the LED Cupholders here. BB and a few others must have the led Cupholders... But if you are like us and Thunder we are just concerned about drinking the cold beer! Stainless w/o LED is cheaper and gives your boat a nice little cosmetic upgrade.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

That's really a good looking boat! I replaced my cupholders with the stepped stainless ones and I can fit a can in an RTIC coozy.
You can't replace the one in the armrest on the port side though. It's smaller and more shallow than all the rest.

Unless A7 has a solution? He's the resident 260 series expert. What I did for that side was install a stainless fold-up holder from Amazon. It mounts on the grab rail off to the side so my wife or passenger has a place to put their drink.

And yes, LED strips can be added to the top of your cubbies to illuminate the interior. I had mine done on my last boat and Driller just did it to his.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

The leds are in a plastic water proof holder in the bottom of the holder. I just use mine while I'm garage boating anyways. I don't boat much at night. I just think they look cool. Lighting over the holder is a great idea plus you can go with rgb lighting. Either way light them up. Thunder and katie never have time to put there drink in there so they don't need to find the holders.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

Just to add more to think about -
You can get light rings that sit under the cupholder lip.
2018 r5
2003 220
ph2ocraft
Commander
Commander

Post by ph2ocraft »

My boats not here until Friday, uhmnnn how many cup holders are there?
I’m thinkinking 4 in the bow area
4 at the back and maybe one each for driver and passenger?
Does the 03 have any interior lighting?
262 425/496
Discovery Bay