Soliciting opinions on boat

Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Soliciting opinions on boat

Post by Table Rockin »

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2012- ... -103229223

Curious as to the boards opinion on this boat. Looking to upgrade to 26 or 28 footer. Emailed seller and this is response to my question on saltwater care " Hi there,
Yes, service records are available.  The first 90 hours this boat was in fresh water, the last 50 hours have been in brackish/salt water.  The boat is flushed out after each time its used and washed down and has never been in water overnight.  It has also been waxed and detailed every 4 months."

Would the fact this boat has been exposed to saltwater cause you concern enough not to buy?

Id also have to have it shipped.

Thanks
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Soliciting opinions on boat

Post by cmattj »

Table Rockin wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 pm http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2012- ... -103229223

Curious as to the boards opinion on this boat. Looking to upgrade to 26 or 28 footer. Emailed seller and this is response to my question on saltwater care " Hi there,
Yes, service records are available.  The first 90 hours this boat was in fresh water, the last 50 hours have been in brackish/salt water.  The boat is flushed out after each time its used and washed down and has never been in water overnight.  It has also been waxed and detailed every 4 months."

Would the fact this boat has been exposed to saltwater cause you concern enough not to buy?

Id also have to have it shipped.

Thanks
Thats a gorgeous boat. I absolutely love the 262,272,276 boats. I would want you to consider two things as you already have your gut instinct acting.

What type of freshwater flushing kit was added or was it just an Ear muff that the dealer or rack (no trailer?) storer uses or said they use.
Plus take a close look at the photo with the hour meter and notice the top dash clear delamination and poc marks showing up on the buttons and trim.

These are signs of interior not being wiped down in salt air and environment. If the boat is close and you can touch it.. great. If the seller approves of a survey and inspection better. you may find a freshwater one very soon as the season in most the country will start in a few months. Florida season is year round.

Just my 3 cents
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

yea part of me thinks no matter how much you flush and rinse there is inevitably be wear and tear due to the salt exposure. Its in the damn air down there. I'm not in a rush to buy and may wait out the entire season putting my boat up for sale in the process. I would sure hate to be boatless for any period of time during the season though.

all that said.....its probably $20k less than it comparative freshwater version. Mayhaps its worth the risk?

anyone know how much it costs to deliver from FL to MO? Lol
"The Mistress"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Worst case scenario you have to put in a new engine. What will that cost you? That's an absolutely gorgeous boat and if you think you can make it work for you then go for it. As long as you keep in mind there's going to be repairs needed because of the salt water. Manifolds and risers take a beating in saltwater, but it's nothing money can't fix!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Agree with YT. That is a gorgeous boat and it looks clean, clean, clean. However, no pics of the outdrive?

I'd get a survey done. Seller should expect it on a used boat in that size and price range.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

It looks clean and it's gorgeous. However, 20K? That strikes me as odd.

I always steer clear of salties but that's because I don't know enough about them and there's plenty of freshies around more my taste. SOunds like Cmatt's area as I never would've noticed about the dash had he not said it or saw it in person. It's definitely worth an in-person visit IMO.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

In an effort to spend your money, here's a listing in your neck of the woods. It's a very clean looking 2009 with a M496 and what appears to be just ~115 hours. Freshwater of course!

https://loz.craigslist.org/boa/d/cobalt/6458635963.html
Toronto, Canada
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

I was shooting from the hip on that liquid....your right probably more like 10-15k.

And the logistics on this prob dont work. Id have to hire a survey and have it shipped. All that chips away at the price difference as well.
"The Mistress"
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Yea ive seen that colin...can get past the grey color scheme. I know its trivial but if im gonna spend this kind of money im holding out for blue or white 😁. Maybe black.
"The Mistress"
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Not many 276s for sale right now....i can wait
"The Mistress"
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Positives..
That boat looks to have a 6.0L 380 VP, which is closed cooling. No salt issues can happen in the engine itself.

Negatives?
With the VP, I cant really think of any.. IMO, the price is a little high..
If you can get him down in the 60's, I wouldn't be afraid of that boat.
Play the salt card for all its worth.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

agreed Tuscany, i was thinking $65ksh. Nice to know on the closed cooling. I asked that in my email but didnt get a direct response.
"The Mistress"
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Table Rockin wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 pm Yea ive seen that colin...can get past the grey color scheme. I know its trivial but if im gonna spend this kind of money im holding out for blue or white 😁. Maybe black.
Not trivial at all. You gotta love the boat and if the color ain't right, the boat ain't right!
Toronto, Canada
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Boom!

2011 276 with a blue hull. Freshwater. Filler cushions. Forward arch. Stored indoors. Volvo 8.1 with just 136 hours. No trailer.

http://www.georgianbayyachtsales.com/bo ... php?id=830

The catch? The boat is located in Canada. But it's probably no further from home than the one in Florida and getting it across the border is a simple process. Asking price is high at $107K CDN or $87K USD (as an aside, the Toronto area market is hot). However, an $87 CDN offer would likely get serious consideration and that's equivalent to $70K USD.
Toronto, Canada
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

ColinC wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:41 pm In an effort to spend your money, here's a listing in your neck of the woods. It's a very clean looking 2009 with a M496 and what appears to be just ~115 hours. Freshwater of course!

https://loz.craigslist.org/boa/d/cobalt/6458635963.html
That's a nice looking boat too. 496. I love boat shopping.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL