496 Mag SP vs 350 Mag DP vs Volvo 5.7 DP in a 242

klennop
Commander
Commander

496 Mag SP vs 350 Mag DP vs Volvo 5.7 DP in a 242

Post by klennop »

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I wasn't really sure where to put it since it crosses multiple areas. Anyhow, here goes!

I am looking at a couple 242 bowriders but I am really struggling with the power between a couple of them.

1. 496 Mag HO with X drive, so single prop.
2. 350 Mag with bravo 3, so dual prop.
3. Volvo 5.7 with dual prop.

I am thinking the 350 mag and Volvo would be very similar. However, what I am struggling with is how would the small block dual prop setup compare to the big block single prop. I am thinking the Big Block will be a little more thirsty but if I keep my throttle in check I am thinking at cruise it would be similar to the Volvo or the 350. Top speed between all 3??? Hole shot??? I also don't have the ability to test an of them out without driving about 10 hours one way.

Anyone have any experience with these setups back to back. I appreciate any insight, experience, or anything that can help me out.

Thanks!
2006 Cobalt 250
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 496 Mag SP vs 350 Mag DP vs Volvo 5.7 DP in a 242

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey Klennop. Welcome to the CChat forum. So glad you found us!

#1 question(s) ...
How will you be using your boat? Water sports ? cruising ? Combination ? Pure top speed?
Depending on what is important to you will help in selecting which application suits you best.

I’m a big proponent of the duo prop drive.
The big blocks run from 380 to 425 hp in your applications.
That’s anywhere from 60 - 105 hp more than those small blocks you are considering.

What’s your time frame? Any chance you would consider a big block coupled with a duo prop?
That would be my choice.

Btw, you’re up by our own bigblockpower in WI. He can help you in your quest & will chime in shortly.

Once again, welcome aboard mate!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

klennop wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:27 pm Hey everyone, this is my first post and I wasn't really sure where to put it since it crosses multiple areas. Anyhow, here goes!

I am looking at a couple 242 bowriders but I am really struggling with the power between a couple of them.

1. 496 Mag HO with X drive, so single prop.
2. 350 Mag with bravo 3, so dual prop.
3. Volvo 5.7 with dual prop.

I am thinking the 350 mag and Volvo would be very similar. However, what I am struggling with is how would the small block dual prop setup compare to the big block single prop. I am thinking the Big Block will be a little more thirsty but if I keep my throttle in check I am thinking at cruise it would be similar to the Volvo or the 350. Top speed between all 3??? Hole shot??? I also don't have the ability to test an of them out without driving about 10 hours one way.

Anyone have any experience with these setups back to back. I appreciate any insight, experience, or anything that can help me out.

Thanks!
I dont think you can go wrong with any of those. I really like the daul props.

Where do you do most of your boating, winnebago ?
2018 r5
2003 220
klennop
Commander
Commander

Post by klennop »

Hello AsLan7,

The boat would be for a combination of things which is also why it makes it difficult.

I agree with you on the duo prop with the big block, that would be ideal...I think? However, in the boats I am looking at I have not been able to find one of those. Especially in my price range. That is what made me more curious on the other 2 options.

The other option would be to look at different brands of boats which I am not against but it is something about that Cobalt classic look that keeps sucking me in, LOL!!

I grew up around boats my whole life and go out with friends a lot. However, my wife and I are starting to look for our own boat. I know the feeling of having an under powdered boat and I just don't want to make a decision and instantly regret it. At the same time I still have a budget...which is always champagne taste on a beer budget, LOL!
2006 Cobalt 250
klennop
Commander
Commander

Post by klennop »

I would do Winnebago, Wolf River, Green Lake, Waupaca Chain. I want to have the capability of going to multiple places. However, I grew up always on Winnebago.
2006 Cobalt 250
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Welcome from AZ!!

Personally I'd pick the power plant you want first without regard to the drive. If you have similar powerplants with different drives, then dive into the specific behaviors vs cost you'd like to get out of the drive. Big blocks can be thirsty, I think mine burns around 34 gallons/hour at wide open and low teens at a slow cruise (around 3000-3200 RPM). But that sound and the torque/acceleration....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

klennop wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:34 pm I would do Winnebago, Wolf River, Green Lake, Waupaca Chain. I want to have the capability of going to multiple places. However, I grew up always on Winnebago.
On all of those lakes one prop is cheaper than two to get fixed.lol
Ok I'll go back and read more.And chime in. Oh welcome. I couldn't hold back.
Ok that didn't take long I'm back.
After driving and riding in t5500000 250 with a bb and a single prop, his pops on plane very fast. Here's the trick it's called the right prop.or a rev4 :-) the bb as all of the torque you will want with any load you have in the boat. Yes a dual prop is nice but propped right you will be just fine. I the other hand a 350 Iin that boat will be ok but if your already asking yourself I don't want to be under powered don't buy it as you will regret it. I'm the wrong person to ask about power. I wouldn't want less then the 6.2 in a 24 almost 25 ft boat that's heavy. Yt and others have and had what your looking at and they will chime in. Pm me your number I'll help you find a boat also. Weekday is your budget and what are you looking at year wise.
Last edited by Big Block Power on Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

I wouldnt worry a but being under powered with 5.7's . Not sure on the weight difference between my 220 and a 242 but my 220 will hit 54mph. It also gives me enough range to run from Neenah to parrridge lake and back.
2018 r5
2003 220
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

klennop wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:33 pm Hello AsLan7,

The boat would be for a combination of things which is also why it makes it difficult.

I agree with you on the duo prop with the big block, that would be ideal...I think? However, in the boats I am looking at I have not been able to find one of those. Especially in my price range. That is what made me more curious on the other 2 options.

The other option would be to look at different brands of boats which I am not against but it is something about that Cobalt classic look that keeps sucking me in, LOL!!

I grew up around boats my whole life and go out with friends a lot. However, my wife and I are starting to look for our own boat. I know the feeling of having an under powdered boat and I just don't want to make a decision and instantly regret it. At the same time I still have a budget...which is always champagne taste on a beer budget, LOL!
Roger that.
BLUF:
If you think you will lean more toward towing behind your boat, go with a duo prop.
If you think you will lean more toward cruising, a single prop will be just fine.

Our first two boats were single props
Next two boats duo props.

When we on the Cobalt forum talk about having more power, we are speaking more in relation to our insatiable desire for more horsepower. Not from a perspective of unacceptable or even unsafe horsepower levels which other manufacturers will install in order to slash costs as much as they can in order to undercut the competition in terms of pricing.

The great news —Cobalt is rarely known for under powering their boats—even base models. Sooooo, my suggestion would be,

1. If you can wait, search for a big block/duo prop combo with bbp’s help
2. If you can’t wait, & are planning on doing more water sports than cruising, go small block with duo prop.
3. If you can’t wait and prefer cruising over water sports—Big block with single prop outdrive.

Hope this helps.
....and yes, stick with Cobalt. You won’t regret it based upon quality and resale... and the forum community. :D :D :D
Last edited by AsLan7 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

:lol:
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Weekday is your budget and what are you looking at year wise.
I spend more on weekends also.. good point!!

In all seriousness.. BBP has the unicorn of boats with power to weight.. if you could find a Volvo or merc in GXI or HO I'd jump.. but there rare and any big block would be fine fully loaded!

Bfun has some good numbers too so you can't go wrong at the size your looking for either.

Get what makes you go wow when you look at it in the end..! These guys will guide you well.
AsLan7 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:34 pm Hey Klennop. Welcome to the CChat forum. So glad you found us!

#1 question(s) ...
How will you be using your boat? Water sports ? cruising ? Combination ? Pure top speed?
Depending on what is important to you will help in selecting which application suits you best.

I’m a big proponent of the duo prop drive.
The big blocks run from 380 to 425 hp in your applications.
That’s anywhere from 60 - 105 hp more than those small blocks you are considering.

What’s your time frame? Any chance you would consider a big block coupled with a duo prop?
That would be my choice.

Btw, you’re up by our own bigblockpower in WI. He can help you in your quest & will chime in shortly.

Once again, welcome aboard mate!
👍🏼Agree!! 380hp would be the ticket!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

My 242 w/ the 8.1 Gi works for me. I too bought used, decided on the 242 early and test drove a number of engines. Didn’t take me long to decide on the BB. Really wanted the GXi, but hard to find. Settled on the Gi. The bigger engines just seemed to make the boat more responsive.

Take BBP up on his offer, he’s the boat whisperer, and will help you avoid making a bad decision.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:15 pmOn all of those lakes one prop is cheaper than two to get fixed.lol
Ok I'll go back and read more.And chime in. Oh welcome. I couldn't hold back.
Ok that didn't take long I'm back.
After driving and riding in t5500000 250 with a bb and a single prop, his pops on plane very fast. Here's the trick it's called the right prop.or a rev4 :-) the bb as all of the torque you will want with any load you have in the boat.
FWIW here's my 502/Bravo1/Rev4 coming up on plane in around 2 seconds...

Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Welcome from Oklahoma Klennop!

Okay I'm going to take a different approach. You referenced budget, champagne and beer...

It sounds like you've grown up around boating but this is a first boat, right? Sooo...

1. Get a Cobalt. You'll totally understand afterwards, nothing else rates. And there will be no regrets.
2. Get the 350. It'll be easier on your fuel budget and have PLenty of power to haul a full boatload around.
3. Don't pay any attention to top speed. Your not buying a race boat. Cobalt is about luxury, not outrunning a DCB or Formula. And going fast on top is a plus but certainly not necessary, as you'll spend the majority of your time cruising anyway.
4. Dual props scoot you around faster, and are a bit easier to maneuver at idle around the dicks. And VP is much smoother shifting it seems than a Bravo. But a single prop would definitely not be a deal killer for me. As BB said, you can change the prop.
5. If your looking for sage advice (Driller) this is the absolute worst place. Here we're all about OPM. We can spend other peoples money better than a bad politician. Evryone here will tell you get twin blue big blocks with blowers and triple prop outdrives in a 190!

Most folks get a first boat and spend a lot of time in it. A big block is a load of fun but it'll be thirsty, and fuel on the water isn't cheap. Easier to deal with it you trailer in and out and buy gas on land, but you'll want to keep Momma happy and not spend all her shopping money every weekend!

And a couple of years down the road you'll get twofootitis and upgrade anyway. THEN get a big block!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Ytmsn wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:35 am Welcome from Oklahoma Klennop!

Okay I'm going to take a different approach. You referenced budget, champagne and beer...

It sounds like you've grown up around boating but this is a first boat, right? Sooo...

1. Get a Cobalt. You'll totally understand afterwards, nothing else rates. And there will be no regrets.
2. Get the 350. It'll be easier on your fuel budget and have PLenty of power to haul a full boatload around.
3. Don't pay any attention to top speed. Your not buying a race boat. Cobalt is about luxury, not outrunning a DCB or Formula. And going fast on top is a plus but certainly not necessary, as you'll spend the majority of your time cruising anyway.
4. Dual props scoot you around faster, and are a bit easier to maneuver at idle around the dicks. And VP is much smoother shifting it seems than a Bravo. But a single prop would definitely not be a deal killer for me. As BB said, you can change the prop.
5. If your looking for sage advice (Driller) this is the absolute worst place. Here we're all about OPM. We can spend other peoples money better than a bad politician. Evryone here will tell you get twin blue big blocks with blowers and triple prop outdrives in a 190!

Most folks get a first boat and spend a lot of time in it. A big block is a load of fun but it'll be thirsty, and fuel on the water isn't cheap. Easier to deal with it you trailer in and out and buy gas on land, but you'll want to keep Momma happy and not spend all her shopping money every weekend!

And a couple of years down the road you'll get twofootitis and upgrade anyway. THEN get a big block!
This is all great advice. I love my big block but I am amazed at how it sucks down gas. The lakes around Phoenix are not big enough to do a lot of cruising, but when we took it to Havasu I couldn't believe how fast 73 gallons disappeared. Of course I did a lot of fast running with several WOT runs, haven't really done extended cruising in the sweet spot to see how long it would last then.
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

I really haven’t noticed heavy fuel consumption on my boat. 50 gals gets me 2 full days of tubing with nighttime cruising. However, I rarely if ever run WOT.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"