One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post Reply
SteveKran
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post by SteveKran »

Boat Info: 2003 Cobalt 22ft bowrider with 350 Mag Mpi (OM636700)


Cliff Notes: Trying to find a place that may give a discount on buying multiple cooling hoses for Mercruiser 350 Mag Mpi. Asking for advice on replace multiple older hoses.


Background: I'm helping my dad out with his boat. He had a stroke back in February and isn't able to get around like he used to. I dewinterized it and installed batteries this past weekend and it was the first time out on the water this year. I checked for leaks while we were still at the dock and actually had a small dribble (at idle, in neutral) coming from a factory crimp fitting (immediately checked bulge pump operation after that before heading out). I found it was a crimp after running my hand around, feeling for a place to tighten it. I also got a good bit of rubber dust on my hand from the hose being 19 years old and thought it might be a good idea to replace a few other hoses while I was at it. The hose feels like it may be deteriorating to the point where I'd rather replace it instead of cutting off the old crimp and installing a new hose clamp.

Boat has been used exclusively in freshwater lakes in South Carolina. Previous owner was a helicopter mechanic who kept it in tip-top shape. Only about 300 hours on this engine.



1st Question: Does anyone sell a kit that includes multiple hoses?

2nd Question: Should I even worry about replacing multiple hoses, or just stick to the one?



Thanks for the help and advice, I really appreciate it!



Image

Image
SteveKran
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post by SteveKran »

Here's a picture of the hose it's leaking from.

Image
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post by Big Block Power »

You sure can replace all the hoses. Not a bad idea. But honestly I would just replace that one. That rubber dust is probably coming from your belt.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post by AsLan7 »

.
Hey SteveK. So glad you found us.

Looks to be in really good shape. You can get that hose at any local Merc dealer or even Amazon. I'm with BBP on replacing just one. No need to do the entire engine. We always carry duct tape and stainless hose clamps with an extra piece of rubber in our tool kit for any hose blow outs. Have not had to use them yet but it's good insurance.

Thanks for the pics and welcome aboard mate!

.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:23 pm
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post by dustinm »

I concur with BBP.


Nice looking boat I might also add!!!
CS23
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Contact:

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post by sailor55330 »

I guess I'm the one who never trusts anyone else's maintenance. BBP has way more engine knowledge than I do, but I have more "dang it--I should have done it" experience. I'd replace all of them.
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post by Big Block Power »

sailor55330 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:21 pm I guess I'm the one who never trusts anyone else's maintenance. BBP has way more engine knowledge than I do, but I have more "dang it--I should have done it" experience. I'd replace all of them.
Sailor if I was you I would buy a new boat! But hell you even break those 😂😂😂👍
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Contact:

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post by sailor55330 »

If I could find an R5 hidden in the back of a dealership that was new, I'd be tempted...
User avatar
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:10 pm
Location: Lake Tahoe
Has thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post by bruceb58 »

I buy everything form PartsVu these days. Seems to have the best prices.

https://www.partsvu.com/

Just need your serial number
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
User avatar
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:03 am
Location: Greer’s Ferry Lake, AR
Contact:

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post by Krob1114 »

Welcome. I love the "helping my dad."
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:16 pm
Location: KS
Contact:

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Post by Holy Smokes »

What about cutting off that crimped clamp and replacing with a std hose clamp. Tighten it down, then go boating!
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests