On My 2nd Cobalt + 5ft

Cobalt262
Commander
Commander

On My 2nd Cobalt + 5ft

Post by Cobalt262 »

<t>Hi all,<br/>
<br/>

So my 16 yr old daughter got her boating licence in August and wanted so much to pull my wife and I behind our 1990 21BR in a tube, since we had been pulling her and her brother for years. She loved it. After she returning us to our dock, the engine just ceased up and stopped. We have been patching her (the boat not my daughter) together for years hoping for just one more boating season. My daughter blamed herself, but this was the sign we needed.

We agreed to get another Cobalt of the same size. We visited several marinas around the lake several times, but couldn't find any boat that was well kept in our price range. We were getting discouraged, as boating season was almost over.

On our way to the grocery store one day my daughter started shouting, "that's it, that's it" and pointed at a marina we had visited just the day before. We made a detour to take a look.

We got out of the car and I looked up at this huge boat on the lawn and said "it''s way too big". My wife said, "it's perfect!" And the kids said the same. It was a 262 with a pickle-fork arch, all while with blue strips. Before I could debate the size issue further, my family was in the boat and checking over every inch. I yelled up to them and said, "it's too big". They shouted back, "it's perfect, come and see."

A salesman came over and asked if I was interested in the 262. It had just came in. I said I was looking for something a bit smaller. He said, "you know they shrink when you put them in the water". He said I should see it from the inside and told me it was a 2001. It was in amazing shape for its age and had low hours on the engine. We'd seen dozens of newer boats in fair condition so it was easy to see this one really stood out.

My wife again said it was perfect and convinced me to put a deposit down to test drive it in the morning at the salesman's invitation. So I figured, it couldn't hurt.

The next morning we went down to test drive the boat and sure enough, it looked smaller in the water. That boat was amazing. I didnt stop smiling until I got home. My wife said, "I told you, it's perfect!". I told the salesman that I would take it. He said I just ruined the day for the 13 other people who had signed up to see the boat if I didnt take it.

Sorry guys. :D

</t>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 Cobalt 262 w/Arch (2017 - present)
1990 Cobalt 21BR (2008 - 2017)
Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: On My 2nd Cobalt + 5ft

Post by Bfun220 »

Great story and nice boat.
Is that teak i see ?
2018 r5
2003 220
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Very nice!
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

Great story, glad to hear you steered your family into the right decision :D :D
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Oh I LIKe it! I wanted one with that arch when I went on my hunt for a 262. I found a nice one but didn't get the arch unless you count the two on the swimdeck..

Welcome to the gang! You'll love it here.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Great story! Sounds like you have a great boating family...congrats on the new boat!

Welcome to the group from the only girl in the group!!!!! Be prepared for messaages from Aslan about your boat...he will be so excited to have another here with a 260 series!!!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Merc Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Cobalt262
Commander
Commander

Post by Cobalt262 »

Bfun220 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:43 pm Great story and nice boat.
Is that teak i see ?
Yes, it is teak! I don't know if it was an option or standard offering at that time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

You got that right, Katie. Yeeeeeeee Hawwwww! Another 260 series owner. AWESOME 👏🏻.

Fantastic story too. Love ❤️ that the entire family bought into her. You purchased one of the best models to ever come out of the Cobalt plant.

Pleeeease take more pics and share. Engine pic? Hours? It looks like you got the Volvo power plant and is that the rare "perfect pass" option I see installed on the helm?

Teak was an option too. Very cool.

Again, welcome to the club. We are on our second 260 series. Heck of a boat ( or yacht if you want to be technical) :D

(Btw, I see it has the aft center walk thru cushions. I'm looking for those!) 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Howdy from Texas. Glad to have you join the group.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Cobalt262
Commander
Commander

Post by Cobalt262 »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:41 am .
You got that right, Katie. Yeeeeeeee Hawwwww! Another 260 series owner. AWESOME 👏🏻.

Fantastic story too. Love ❤️ that the entire family bought into her. You purchased one of the best models to ever come out of the Cobalt plant.

Pleeeease take more pics and share. Engine pic? Hours? It looks like you got the Volvo power plant and is that the rare "perfect pass" option I see installed on the helm?

Teak was an option too. Very cool.

Again, welcome to the club. We are on our second 260 series. Heck of a boat ( or yacht if you want to be technical) :D

(Btw, I see it has the aft center walk thru cushions. I'm looking for those!) 8-)

Thanks AsLan,

It has a 7.4 GSi. I think it's 385hp.

Sorry, the cushions will stay with me for a while.
Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Nice!
You are correct, C262...385hp.
Here are the specs:
http://www.yachtdatabase.com/app/motors ... nta+7.4GSi

How many hours?

...and is that perfect pass on the helm? Just curious. Don't see that too often on the 260 series.

By the way, here is your cockpit image posted right side up. It was upside down on our Windows 10 PC's

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome from Wisconsin :-)
Sounds like you have a great boating family. Can't wait to see the family in action. I bet she fits in the garage just like your 20footer.lol
Love the arch. Does it make it harder to dock and tie up and get in? If you paint them gold you and Yt will match :-)
We treat Nauti like one of the guys!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Bite me BB! My arches are out like a members only jacket.
A7 how in the foggy blue thunder did you conclude seat cushions from those pictures? I never saw them until I blew it up about 200%. I swear you are like a houndawg when it comes to those cushions!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Cobalt262
Commander
Commander

Post by Cobalt262 »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:46 am .
Nice!
You are correct, C262...385hp.
Here are the specs:
http://www.yachtdatabase.com/app/motors ... nta+7.4GSi

How many hours?

...and is that perfect pass on the helm? Just curious. Don't see that too often on the 260 series.

By the way, here is your cockpit image posted right side up. It was upside down on our Windows 10 PC's

No, I think that's the trim gauge you're pointing to on the helm. The motor has 320hrs. Seems very few hrs compared to my 1990 21BR with 1,215hrs.

Thanks for the pic flip.
Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
Cobalt262
Commander
Commander

Post by Cobalt262 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:20 am Welcome from Wisconsin :-)
Sounds like you have a great boating family. Can't wait to see the family in action. I bet she fits in the garage just like your 20footer.lol
Love the arch. Does it make it harder to dock and tie up and get in? If you paint them gold you and Yt will match :-)
We treat Nauti like one of the guys!
Docking is petty easy. My son takes the bow and my daughter the stern. The arch is not in the way. And there is plenty of room to step in from the dock.
Lake Winnipesaukee, NH