Late 2000s 242-262s 8.1 ok to buy?
Late 2000s 242-262s 8.1 ok to buy?
Looking at cobalt 242s mostly, some 262s aswell with the 8.1s. What’s the deal with this “water ingestion” about the manifold design and riser height and etc. I’ve read about it. Called 3 dealers and they’ve never heard of it… The boats I’m looking at are 2007 and 2009 as of now. They have less than 300 hours on them. Should I be worried? Should I avoid 8.1s? What’s the deal? HELP
Re: Late 2000s 242-262s 8.1 ok to buy?
I’ll add these are fresh water boats and would remain that way if I was to buy
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Late 2000s 242-262s 8.1 ok to buy?
.
So glad you found us Arcoriver.
Water ingestion was more of an issue on later model Cobalts around the 2017 to 2020's ish time frame. I've owned the mid 2000's 262 (and 263) and there is no water ingestion issues whatsoever with these models. There's actually a funny video where if there was ever a chance for water ingestion in a mid 2000 series Cobalt it would have happened.
Be sure to post pics if you purchase.
And welcome aboard mate!
.
So glad you found us Arcoriver.
Water ingestion was more of an issue on later model Cobalts around the 2017 to 2020's ish time frame. I've owned the mid 2000's 262 (and 263) and there is no water ingestion issues whatsoever with these models. There's actually a funny video where if there was ever a chance for water ingestion in a mid 2000 series Cobalt it would have happened.
Be sure to post pics if you purchase.
And welcome aboard mate!
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
Re: Late 2000s 242-262s 8.1 ok to buy?
That’s definitely some serious captaincy right there lol! So I don’t need to be concerned any on either vessel?
Re: Late 2000s 242-262s 8.1 ok to buy?
Why C naval architects (tongue in cheek) haven’t been able to figure out how to design self-bailing cockpits is one those unsolved mysteries. I’d sleep a little easier if I didn’t need to rely on an (awarded to the cheapest) bilge pump supplier for their self actuating and working pump; just because it rained hard last night.
'22 Cobalt R4 OB
'98 Sea Ray 230 Signature Select
'98 Sea Ray 230 Signature Select
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

