Trailer tires

Pete12
Ensign
Ensign

Trailer tires

Post by Pete12 »

Trailer I picked up last fall has power king tow max tires with date code of 2020. Previous owner only used trailer to move back and forth for winter storage. No other trailering so tires look brand new. We trailer a lot so I'm thinking about upgrading tires. Any thoughts about this?
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Trailer tires

Post by jhnmdahl »

2020 isn't that old if they're not showing signs of wear and were stored well. Goodyear had a poor trailer tire reputation with the Marathon, but their Endurance is a pretty popular tire and has a good reputation as an upgrade tire. Lots of mid-tier and asian-made tires out there are cheaper and quite common, such as Carlisle, Maxxis, and the like, but I don't think there's any reason to replace what you have with a mid-tier tire.

As an alternative, some people just run light truck tires in an appropriate size on their trailers. Costs a few bucks more, but usually a superior tire.

If you're anxious about a flat, maybe look into mounting a spare on your trailer if it doesn't already have one?
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"No other trailering so tires look brand new."

Mine had low mileage, lots of tread and looked good. Then one blew out from dry rot.

The issue is under what conditions were the tires stored. I've seen recommendations to replace trailer tires every 4-5 years, irrespective of condition. and that such tires lose about 1/3 of their strength after 3 years.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Pete12 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:13 pm Trailer I picked up last fall has power king tow max tires with date code of 2020. Previous owner only used trailer to move back and forth for winter storage. No other trailering so tires look brand new. We trailer a lot so I'm thinking about upgrading tires. Any thoughts about this?
Maxxis 8008 or Goodyear Endurance. Whichever one of those is cheaper.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
NautiWeasel
Captain
Captain

Post by NautiWeasel »

I got rid of my Tow Max tires after 2 years, because they both blew up. Two years old, one went out 5 days before the other. Unfortunately, we were on vacation, and that's what I had to replace them with as well. Then sold the boat a year later. I won't own those anymore after 2 years, period. I replaced my RV tires with Carlisle, and really like them. 3 years old, and about 2,000 miles on them thus far. That is what I plan to replace the cheapo tires that are on my almost 2 year old Maclain trailer this summer. Goodyear endurance are good as well, so I've heard, but not as available in my size as I'd like. If I were you, I'd replace the Tow Maxx ASAP.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.