rough idle

User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by ajcampen »

Blue stabil not red. I like valvtect product best
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Ronald
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: florida
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by Ronald »

bought new set of plugs this morning ac delco how much do I need to gauge them some said 40 m some said 60 m what is better for v8 380 2014
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by thunder550 »

Have you changed the fuel filter/water separator? If you had some bad gas something may have gotten stuck in there. I had an issue when I first got my boat where it would run fine until I stopped and drifted for awhile, then would start up and idle out of no wake zone, and as soon as I went to take off the engine would sputter and die, it would take a few minutes of cranking before it would restart. Changed fuel filter and no more problems.

Might be best to wait until you get the laptop on it, if there's a misfire somewhere that will tell you where. That way you're not throwing parts at it and just hoping for the best. I'm also assuming the newer engines will show fuel pressure through the scanner, anyone know?
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
User avatar
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by jhnmdahl »

Things like plugs and filter he will want to change anyway should be fine, but I might not throw things like plug wires in until the shop gets a code reader on it.

Edit - Aslan makes a good point - change fuel with the fuel filter.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by AsLan7 »

thunder550 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:56 am Have you changed the fuel filter/water separator? If you had some bad gas something may have gotten stuck in there. I had an issue when I first got my boat where it would run fine until I stopped and drifted for awhile, then would start up and idle out of no wake zone, and as soon as I went to take off the engine would sputter and die, it would take a few minutes of cranking before it would restart. Changed fuel filter and no more problems.

Might be best to wait until you get the laptop on it, if there's a misfire somewhere that will tell you where. That way you're not throwing parts at it and just hoping for the best. I'm also assuming the newer engines will show fuel pressure through the scanner, anyone know?
.

I agree thunder. Still seems fuel related with the intermittent running during different Boat attitudes.—like water 💧 sloshing around somewhere. Gas tank, fuel filter, etc.
Changing plugs and fuel filter is an easy diagnosis and should be done at normal intervals anyways.

Laptop will diagnose fuel pressure. Marine tech diagnosing mine:
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Ronald
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: florida
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by Ronald »

im a happy puppy now I change the plugs for the acdelco and it runs good now i' m still going to check for ethanol in the tank and keep,the stabil close by at fill up time and when storing the boat ,i gap the plugs at 60m like you guy said on the forum ,i thank all you guy for helping me, be safe, I will post some pics later
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by AsLan7 »

Ronald wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:56 pm im a happy puppy now I change the plugs for the acdelco and it runs good now i' m still going to check for ethanol in the tank and keep,the stabil close by at fill up time and when storing the boat ,i gap the plugs at 60m like you guy said on the forum ,i thank all you guy for helping me, be safe, I will post some pics later
Hey! Great to hear Ronald!!!

All we ask is for some pictures in return. :D :D :D
.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by thunder550 »

Awesome!!
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by Big Block Power »

Very cool. Congrats.oh did some of us say pictures and hang with us.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by thunder550 »

Oh yeah don't forget pictures! And also pictures. Oh, and last but not least pictures!
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by AsLan7 »

...did anyone mention pictures?? (I think we are addicted to them) :lol: :lol: :lol:
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: rough idle

Post by thunder550 »

:lol: :lol:
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests