Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Boensch
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Norman
Contact:

Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Boensch »

I have a 98 modal 200 that melted no 5 plug end changed plugs ,wires, cap and rotor , fuel injector , and module . Still have a misfire .
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Big Block Power »

What's your compression on that cylinder?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Boensch
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Norman
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Boensch »

145
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Big Block Power »

You have a lean problem. What's your fuel pressure. Intake gasket leak. Spark to that cyl. Injector still? Timing issue. Bad fuel. Old? Ethanol? Plugged fuel filter? Fuel pump. We know they have issues with them. Spark arrestor clean not plugged.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Boensch
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Norman
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Boensch »

I cleaned the spark arrestor out did not check fuel pressure nor did I check for vacuum leak on that cyl. The fuel injector I installed is a day old . And came from vp. I check with a noide light injector is getting power and it does work .
Boensch
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Norman
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Boensch »

Can I check for vacuum leak on the boat just like a car with carb cleaner
Boensch
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Norman
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Boensch »

I set the timing at 5 degrees btdc just like it says on the placard. What should it be set at
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Big Block Power »

I have not set timing in years and don't want to tell you wrong. I'm sure you have to ground something then set it. Be very careful dosing carb or brake cleaner by the intake. I've seen fires started by doing that. Don't ask me how. Chevy S10 lol
Check your fuel pressure low and high side.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Boensch
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Norman
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Boensch »

Ok thank you . What about soap and water
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Big Block Power »

It will work with water never really used it. I know some people used small propane bottles with a tip small amount is all that's needed. The rpm changed as it sucked in propane.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Boensch
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Norman
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Boensch »

Thank you I will try that
Boensch
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Norman
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Boensch »

Found the vac leak the intake gasket needs replaced . But here is the kicker the part is nolonger made . Please help
Boensch
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm
Location: Norman
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Boensch »

Found the vac leak it was the intake gasket . But here is the kicker no longer made . Any body have any ideas on what to do next
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Big Block Power »

That's crazy. Check your mercury dealer. Or check your gm dealer. Get me a part number. Serial number off the engine and size and year.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Post by Big Block Power »

Without numbers I can't guarantee but there is no way that you can't find these gaskets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests