IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by NautiGirl »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm Not sure if you will be pulling waterskiers but it's the same thing for that. Always pointing off center. Plus when I launch the drive is pointing to the right from trailering. I just give it more throttle. Lol

You just have to be quick turning it the other way. It will come with time.
I would 100% get the rudder indicator on a new boat
+1 on the rudder indicator... That's made Jeff's list of must haves on the next one... Did any of these guys order us this on these new boats?
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
Photo_G
Commander
Commander
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by Photo_G »

NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm Not sure if you will be pulling waterskiers but it's the same thing for that. Always pointing off center. Plus when I launch the drive is pointing to the right from trailering. I just give it more throttle. Lol

You just have to be quick turning it the other way. It will come with time.
I would 100% get the rudder indicator on a new boat
+1 on the rudder indicator... That's made Jeff's list of must haves on the next one... Did any of these guys order us this on these new boats?
Are there aftermarket kits for this too?

Thanks,
G
2011 210 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by Bfun220 »

Photo_G wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:30 pm
Are there aftermarket kits for this too?

Thanks,
G
Yes, there are aftermarket ones. There's even one were the indicator mounts in the middle of the steering wheel.
2018 r5
2003 220
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by Big Block Power »

NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm Not sure if you will be pulling waterskiers but it's the same thing for that. Always pointing off center. Plus when I launch the drive is pointing to the right from trailering. I just give it more throttle. Lol

You just have to be quick turning it the other way. It will come with time.
I would 100% get the rudder indicator on a new boat
+1 on the rudder indicator... That's made Jeff's list of must haves on the next one... Did any of these guys order us this on these new boats?
Cycle did you order that for us?
The center of my steering wheel is always spinning centered
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by thunder550 »

BobRae99 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:22 am Actually, I found backing out more difficult, but I understand what I'm doing wrong. When you share a 20' diagonal slip with another boat (less beam than mine, though), you can't jog the transmission into reverse, wait to see which way the stern is heading and then try to correct. By the time my brain figures all of that out, its too late and a collision is possible.

Depending on wind direction and how much room between myself and whoever is docked next to me, sometimes I'll just push the boat out by hand to make sure it comes out pointing the direction I want, then give a good shove off/hop on at the last minute.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by BobRae99 »

thunder550 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:58 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:22 am Actually, I found backing out more difficult, but I understand what I'm doing wrong. When you share a 20' diagonal slip with another boat (less beam than mine, though), you can't jog the transmission into reverse, wait to see which way the stern is heading and then try to correct. By the time my brain figures all of that out, its too late and a collision is possible.

Depending on wind direction and how much room between myself and whoever is docked next to me, sometimes I'll just push the boat out by hand to make sure it comes out pointing the direction I want, then give a good shove off/hop on at the last minute.
I thought about doing that (and no disrespect to you), but my friends in the marina would start laughing at me if I did that. They are a tough crowd. :)
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by thunder550 »

BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm I thought about doing that (and no disrespect to you), but my friends in the marina would start laughing at me if I did that. They are a tough crowd. :)
I guarantee they'd be an even tougher crowd if you ran your back end into the neighboring boat. I'll take a few laughs and a successful exit over scratching up my boat or running into someone else's.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by NautiGirl »

thunder550 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:54 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm I thought about doing that (and no disrespect to you), but my friends in the marina would start laughing at me if I did that. They are a tough crowd. :)
I guarantee they'd be an even tougher crowd if you ran your back end into the neighboring boat. I'll take a few laughs and a successful exit over scratching up my boat or running into someone else's.
+billion on that one...i say walk that boat out of the slip, crank the tunes and roll on... Way better than hitting something
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by cmattj »

Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..

Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin .. :lol:
Last edited by cmattj on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by Bfun220 »

cmattj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 pm Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..

Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin ..
Hay, our wisconsin water I can see down around 8 feet. Just dont ask me in a couple of weeks. :D
2018 r5
2003 220
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by BobRae99 »

Bfun220 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pm
cmattj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 pm Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..

Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin ..
Hay, our wisconsin water I can see down around 8 feet. Just dont ask me in a couple of weeks. :D
I can only see 12" down in our lake, but as others have posted, walking the boat backward out of the narrow slip is better than hitting my neighbour. I'm going to try making sure the drive is straight before bumping the transmission into reverse and then neutral. If I can't master it, I'll just walk the boat out as has been suggested. :)
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by thunder550 »

BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:33 pm I can only see 12" down in our lake, but as others have posted, walking the boat backward out of the narrow slip is better than hitting my neighbour. I'm going to try making sure the drive is straight before bumping the transmission into reverse and then neutral. If I can't master it, I'll just walk the boat out as has been suggested. :)
Any entry or exit done without damage is a win in my book, regardless of how you get it done :D

If you count steering wheel turns lock-to-lock and divide by 2 you can center the drive that way also, without having to look at anything.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by Bfun220 »

You could always add a indicator. Not sure how well this would work but it may help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 r5
2003 220
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by thunder550 »

Bfun220 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:53 pm You could always add a indicator. Not sure how well this would work but it may help.
Or attach one of these trailer hitch assist thingies to the drive :lol:

Image
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)

Post by NautiGirl »

BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:33 pm
Bfun220 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pm
cmattj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 pm Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..

Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin ..
Hay, our wisconsin water I can see down around 8 feet. Just dont ask me in a couple of weeks. :D
I can only see 12" down in our lake, but as others have posted, walking the boat backward out of the narrow slip is better than hitting my neighbour. I'm going to try making sure the drive is straight before bumping the transmission into reverse and then neutral. If I can't master it, I'll just walk the boat out as has been suggested. :)
You boat neighbor next to you will be very thankful that you chose to walk the boat... He won't laugh at that... Just a guess.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests