Propeller selection info and speeds

Silverbullet555
Commander
Commander

Re: Propeller selection info and speeds

Post by Silverbullet555 »

I always try to clock the blades and I'll regrease the prop shaft.

Pretty stoked to get a set for $500.

I do need to sell the extra f9 set I have.
James
2002 226 with VP 8.1Gi DP
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Keep them for spares. Still amazing it had F9 but there are some Big hp Volvo guys that will buy them I'm sure.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Silverbullet555
Commander
Commander

cmattj wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:55 am Keep them for spares. Still amazing it had F9 but there are some Big hp Volvo guys that will buy them I'm sure.
I have 2 sets of f9s already which is why I considered selling one set.
James
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Silverbullet555 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:11 pm
cmattj wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:55 am Keep them for spares. Still amazing it had F9 but there are some Big hp Volvo guys that will buy them I'm sure.
I have 2 sets of f9s already which is why I considered selling one set.
Ahh yes thats alot of props hanging around. People will talk :lol: Go make nice with Ebay and your new props will be free!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Silverbullet555
Commander
Commander

Finally got the f7 set in. They shipped to my dads house first. I don't use ebay so he bought them and I sent him a check.

Anyway, either they had new hubs out in or they simply didn't get used. One is more polished and there are some grease Mark's where the rear was mounted at least once.

Hoping to swap them tonight or tomorrow morning and see how they do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Silverbullet555 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:26 pm Finally got the f7 set in. They shipped to my dads house first. I don't use ebay so he bought them and I sent him a check.

Anyway, either they had new hubs out in or they simply didn't get used. One is more polished and there are some grease Mark's where the rear was mounted at least once.

Hoping to swap them tonight or tomorrow morning and see how they do.
They look good. Look forward to hearing your results!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Silverbullet555
Commander
Commander

They are on now and will be used next week at current altitude and a couple weeks after that at 5000 feet. Glad I keep the propnshafts greased with vp propnshaft grease. Slid right off.
James
Midlifecrisis
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Midlifecrisis »

I'm revisiting this now that I have more information. Turns out I have F6s on it. I'm running it at 5,000 ft and looking to get better hole shot. WOT for this engine should be 5200, and I'm getting about 4500. It's a 2006 220 with Volvo Penta 5.7 GXi (320 HP). Would changing it to F5s make a big enough difference for out of the hole?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Man your 700rpms away that is alot. Is that the only place you will be boating. Where was the boat used before you boat it? Sea level?
F5 isn't going to give you enough. You might gain 200-400rpm
I would drop to F4 and see where you are at. What gear ratio is it 1.92-1?
What shape are your F6s in?
Yes doing in pitch will help your hole shot and midrange. Getting your rpms up to 5200 will get you some speed back also.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Midlifecrisis
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Midlifecrisis »

The rear F6 has a few dings in it. The forward one is fine. I'll probably keep them in case I run it a lower altitude.

It started its life at Folsom Lake in No Cal, around 500 ft in altitude. It had plenty of punch when I test drove it there... :|

How do I find out what the gear ratio is?
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

There is a metal plate on the port side of the drive I believe it is. Yea hopefully prop change will work for you. You will have to let us know. Try to find a great used set of f4s and see what you get. Matt is the computer drive prop guy though. He'll chime in too. Really drive prob should get changed.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Hey Mid.. BB is correct about the drive gear ratio as you’ve seen “ High Elevation “ set ups. At 5000 feet your 320 hp is down to 240hp ish. ( Density altitudes will be another subject)

When you change the Drive gear on the high elevation order from the factory, it increases the ratio . For example gear ratio is 1.95 at sea level.. Then to 2.32 for high elevation. Using for example the same F5 prop.

Higher gear ratio allows multiplication with that same prop.

So since we’re not going to change the gear set this is where you need to make a decision. BBP is correct to go to a F4 as that equals 4 inches less of pitch . ( pitch equals the inches pushed forward in 1 rotation).

You may have been 55-57 mph at Folsom lake but now sluggish to 44-46 mph. F4 prop ( 21 inches of pitch would get you back to 47-49mph.
F5 prop may give you better cruise speed but cause Full throttle lugging.

So currently your lugging , and for longevity it needs less prop. Find F4 for water sports, full load etc. That the sacrifices of 5000 ft. Elevation .
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Midlifecrisis
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Midlifecrisis »

cmattJ, thanks for the details. Keep in mind that the lake has a speed limit of 35 MPH, so top end speed is less of a concern than giving the boat enough grunt to pull my fat behind out of the water on a ski.

It sounds like the key to that is a shallower prop that will let the engine spin faster out of the hole without lugging - is that the way to look at it?
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

I assume this is a volvo drive? Not my area of expertise, but Merc made a 4x3 dual prop Bravo 3 that greatly improves hole shot and maintains cruise speed at the cost of top end, did Volvo offer something similar?
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Midlifecrisis wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:26 pm cmattJ, thanks for the details. Keep in mind that the lake has a speed limit of 35 MPH, so top end speed is less of a concern than giving the boat enough grunt to pull my fat behind out of the water on a ski.

It sounds like the key to that is a shallower prop that will let the engine spin faster out of the hole without lugging - is that the way to look at it?
Speed limit of 35?. Oh my :shock: (sigh)....

Yes as you read , and already suspected. Lower F series equals reduced forward pitch.
I may suggest then find some used F3 props to try. She’ll be in the sweet spot. F4 will still be a huge difference.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON