Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
Looks like I'll have a couple of hours to work on that sub tonight. I think, because I'm not positive I want to keep a sub in there, I am going to hook it all up, jam it for a bit at various volumes, and then If I decide to keep it hooked up, I'm gonna have to take it back out so I can clean up the other amp's wiring, etc. I think the sub is going to in the front passenger console somehow (might need to get creative) and the amp will have to be hung on that access panel next to the speaker amp.
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
Hey first page of this thread you were unsure you even wanted to upgrade your old Sony Speakers or add an amp. I don't see you putting the sub in then deciding that you dont want it lol.Homeskillet wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:29 am Looks like I'll have a couple of hours to work on that sub tonight. I think, because I'm not positive I want to keep a sub in there, I am going to hook it all up, jam it for a bit at various volumes, and then If I decide to keep it hooked up, I'm gonna have to take it back out so I can clean up the other amp's wiring, etc. I think the sub is going to in the front passenger console somehow (might need to get creative) and the amp will have to be hung on that access panel next to the speaker amp.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
You're getting to know me!!!!! In a year, you're going to say, "Dang, I liked it better when that goofy Homeskillet was a fisherman!!" lolololol
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
Go get it Homeskillet! I know the feeling, I was going to get a new head unit last year and instead got a new head unit, helm remote, 6 new speakers, all new wiring, a new sub and enclosure, and a new amp. I kept that receipt away from Mrs. LOTOHEAD. You'll really enjoy the crisp tunes when going down the lake.
2004 282 8.1 Volvo
“The Lake Effect”
“The Lake Effect”
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
When Ms. Em ask me what the upgrades to the boat cost I kinda mumble something incoherent, then she just rolls her eyes. Yeah, right.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
"DIGGIN' IT"
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
I hit my first solid snag tonight!
Got the amp for the sub hooked up, turned on the power and away we went (so I thought). But the power cables keep pulling out of their input areas because the set screws have stripped the plastic housing that they go in. I noticed it right away when I went to tighten down the power cable and ground, but thought they might hold. I was wrong. I don't know what to do. I went through my nuts and bolts and found bigger bolts to put in there. But with no threads, they won't stay. I even tried wrapping them with electrical tape (like you would wrap teflon tape over threads) and it helped, but they eventually pulled out again. I never got a chance to thump it because every time I set it down, one of the cables pulled free.
At first when I had it hooked up, I couldn't get any signal to it. Turned out my fade was set all the way to the front. Once I centered it, it worked.
When it first worked, there was a lot of crackle and popping at very low volume. I thought it sounded like it might be blown. It turns out that the Gain was set at full blast, and after turning it down, it seemed to be much better. I think it'll sound very nice once I figure out how to keep the power cables in place.
I wonder if I can buy a replacement power block (or whatever it is called)
Got the amp for the sub hooked up, turned on the power and away we went (so I thought). But the power cables keep pulling out of their input areas because the set screws have stripped the plastic housing that they go in. I noticed it right away when I went to tighten down the power cable and ground, but thought they might hold. I was wrong. I don't know what to do. I went through my nuts and bolts and found bigger bolts to put in there. But with no threads, they won't stay. I even tried wrapping them with electrical tape (like you would wrap teflon tape over threads) and it helped, but they eventually pulled out again. I never got a chance to thump it because every time I set it down, one of the cables pulled free.
At first when I had it hooked up, I couldn't get any signal to it. Turned out my fade was set all the way to the front. Once I centered it, it worked.
When it first worked, there was a lot of crackle and popping at very low volume. I thought it sounded like it might be blown. It turns out that the Gain was set at full blast, and after turning it down, it seemed to be much better. I think it'll sound very nice once I figure out how to keep the power cables in place.
I wonder if I can buy a replacement power block (or whatever it is called)
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
What kind of amp is it. Personally I would not use it even if it was free. Loose 4guage is not good. Arcing come to mind. Just spend some cash and buy a thumper amp.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
If I have to buy another amp, I'm just going to scrap the sub idea (unless there is a way to run that sub off of the Wetsounds amp?????)
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
There is by bridging the speakers. You can buy a cheap amp though.Homeskillet wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:15 pm If I have to buy another amp, I'm just going to scrap the sub idea (unless there is a way to run that sub off of the Wetsounds amp?????)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
So I could put 4 speakers on one set of hook ups to free up space for the sub? The amp is 900W. I'm thinking I am wrong about being able to drive 6 speakers and a 10" subBig Block Power wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:17 pmThere is by bridging the speakers. You can buy a cheap amp though.Homeskillet wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:15 pm If I have to buy another amp, I'm just going to scrap the sub idea (unless there is a way to run that sub off of the Wetsounds amp?????)
Seems like there should be a way to safely secure the power cable to this amp. It's a Profile California 1000 watt.
I don't think I wanna buy a new amp to pair with this older sub.
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
That's kind of defeating the purpose of this amp though. You would get diff ratings to the other speakers. I would have to look at his much power you would be sending to each them.Homeskillet wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:22 pmSo I could put 4 speakers on one set of hook ups to free up space for the sub? The amp is 900W. I'm thinking I am wrong about being able to drive 6 speakers and a 10" subBig Block Power wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:17 pmThere is by bridging the speakers. You can buy a cheap amp though.Homeskillet wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:15 pm If I have to buy another amp, I'm just going to scrap the sub idea (unless there is a way to run that sub off of the Wetsounds amp?????)
Seems like there should be a way to safely secure the power cable to this amp. It's a Profile California 1000 watt.
I don't think I wanna buy a new amp to pair with this older sub.
100 bucks can get you plenty of power. What's the sub rated for?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
I have no idea what the sub is rated for. I might have to push a little more bass at the JL's and lose the sub
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
I might pull the amp out, disconnect everything, and see if there is a safe and reliable way to Jerry-rig it to work.
Safe meaning, I'm not going to use Gorilla Glue (though it did cross my mind lol)
Safe meaning, I'm not going to use Gorilla Glue (though it did cross my mind lol)
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
Is there enough material left to drill and tap new threads ?Homeskillet wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:16 am I might pull the amp out, disconnect everything, and see if there is a safe and reliable way to Jerry-rig it to work.
Safe meaning, I'm not going to use Gorilla Glue (though it did cross my mind lol)
2018 r5
2003 220
2003 220
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
You actually could do this, I wouldn't but you could. The first thing to realize is if you plug two speakers into the same amp channel you are effectively wiring them in parallel. This means you are dropping the resistance of the load on the amp by 1/2 each time you add a speaker. So your JL's are 4 Ohm speakers - if you add two to the same amp channel the amp would see a 2 ohm load on that channel.Homeskillet wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:22 pmSo I could put 4 speakers on one set of hook ups to free up space for the sub? The amp is 900W. I'm thinking I am wrong about being able to drive 6 speakers and a 10" subBig Block Power wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:17 pmThere is by bridging the speakers. You can buy a cheap amp though.Homeskillet wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:15 pm If I have to buy another amp, I'm just going to scrap the sub idea (unless there is a way to run that sub off of the Wetsounds amp?????)
Seems like there should be a way to safely secure the power cable to this amp. It's a Profile California 1000 watt.
I don't think I wanna buy a new amp to pair with this older sub.
Not all amp's are stable at two ohm, however I just looked the HTX-6 is so you lucked out there.
The downside is this would only free up one channel to run the sub, so you would be installing a sub and pushing 125W to it? Not worth it.
Monoblock amps are cheap - well relatively cheap. Wait until you can do it right and add something like this:
https://creativeaudio.net/htx1-kb/
and this:
https://creativeaudio.net/m10ib5-sg-tb/
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests
