Motor hang tag?
-
mdadgar
- Rear Admiral

- Posts: 566
- Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
- Location: SF Bay Area
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Motor hang tag?
California DMV claims I need to submit a "motor hang tag" (some kid of emissions certificate) to register my new-to-me 2013 A25.
No one I've talked to here knows WTF the DMV is talking about. I emailed Cobalt - "contact your engine manufacturer." I called Volvo Penta - no idea. I called a local Volvo Penta dealer - no idea.
Anyone know what this is?
- Mark
No one I've talked to here knows WTF the DMV is talking about. I emailed Cobalt - "contact your engine manufacturer." I called Volvo Penta - no idea. I called a local Volvo Penta dealer - no idea.
Anyone know what this is?
- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Motor hang tag?
Is it just the engine serial number?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Re: Motor hang tag?
I Google it from my phone. Pretty tricky I am. Not sure this link will help or just confuse you more.
Geeze get it USCG documented

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/conne ... ERES&CVID=
Geeze get it USCG documented
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/conne ... ERES&CVID=
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Motor hang tag?
Hey nice find Matt! Boy am I glad I don’t have to deal with those regulations for both our boat and vehicles.cmattj wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:31 pm I Google it from my phone. Pretty tricky I am. Not sure this link will help or just confuse you more.
Geeze get it USCG documented
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/conne ... ERES&CVID=
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
-
mdadgar
- Rear Admiral

- Posts: 566
- Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
- Location: SF Bay Area
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Motor hang tag?
Right - I found that, too.
Note, however, that it does not mention WHERE THE EFF you actually get said hang tag.
Sigh.
- Mark
Note, however, that it does not mention WHERE THE EFF you actually get said hang tag.
Sigh.
- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Re: Motor hang tag?
My understanding is the Retail seller is required to submit this “ hang tag” for verification that it is correctly labeled in compliance with emissions.mdadgar wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 pm Right - I found that, too.
Note, however, that it does not mention WHERE THE EFF you actually get said hang tag.
Sigh.
- Mark
Was your baby a private sale or dealer? It’s almost as if the requirements for smog are the responsibility of the seller. Just like with our cars.
Geeze I love our state . Keep us posted
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Motor hang tag?
The bad thing is his boat came from China or a diff state that has no such rulz!!cmattj wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:30 amMy understanding is the Retail seller is required to submit this “ hang tag” for verification that it is correctly labeled in compliance with emissions.mdadgar wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 pm Right - I found that, too.
Note, however, that it does not mention WHERE THE EFF you actually get said hang tag.
Sigh.
- Mark
Was your baby a private sale or dealer? It’s almost as if the requirements for smog are the responsibility of the seller. Just like with our cars.
Geeze I love our state . Keep us posted
I'm sure we can Make a EFFN tag on the internet somewhere. Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
mdadgar
- Rear Admiral

- Posts: 566
- Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
- Location: SF Bay Area
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Motor hang tag?
Private sale, secondhand boat.cmattj wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:30 am My understanding is the Retail seller is required to submit this “ hang tag” for verification that it is correctly labeled in compliance with emissions.
Was your baby a private sale or dealer? It’s almost as if the requirements for smog are the responsibility of the seller. Just like with our cars.
I'm going to try the "secondhand private sale, no hang tag" letter approach and see what happens.
- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Re: Motor hang tag?
Or go with the USCG registration and give the DMV the finger.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
-
mdadgar
- Rear Admiral

- Posts: 566
- Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
- Location: SF Bay Area
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Motor hang tag?
That is sorely tempting.
I wonder if I can skirt the use tax that way, too.
- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Re: Motor hang tag?
Matt and tgrace can tell you more about it, but yes, once its registered with the USCG you dont have to buy a sticker for it every year. I'm going to do the same thing this spring.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
-
zane@zcsonline.com
- Ensign

- Posts: 3
- Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:08 pm
- Location: CA
- Contact:
Re: Motor hang tag?
Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Motor hang tag?
Welcome. I'm no help but Mark is on here alot so you might be in luck on getting a answer. In the meantime go to the new men bet section and introduce yourself and post some pictures of this beautyzane@zcsonline.com wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Motor hang tag?
.zane@zcsonline.com wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
Hey Zane....Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!
Being from PA, I'm afraid I'm of no use either. Let's see if this resurrected thread will get you an answer.
Yes, please post a pic of your 26SD.
Again, welcome aboard mate!
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
-
mdadgar
- Rear Admiral

- Posts: 566
- Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
- Location: SF Bay Area
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Motor hang tag?
Zane, I filled out a Statement Of Fact and explained that it was a second-hand boat and that it was built in accordance with emissions standards in the year it was produced, blah blah blah. The DMV didn't bat an eye at that.zane@zcsonline.com wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
Honestly, they were probably too distracted by the fact that I bought the boat from a state that doesn't issue titles for boats. That was an 8 month battle before they finally relented and gave me a registration.
Good times.
- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Bing [Bot], Semrush [Bot] and 69 guests
