Page 2 of 4
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:58 pm
by Big Block Power
It cost me just under a grand to get a 220 shipped from Texas. Colorado and Tennessee 750. I've bought a bunch of boats without seeing them but I do my homework on them also. I've had lots of guys look at them also before I buy them. Tahoe will be about $1500. The biggest isn't priced too bad for that.
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:18 pm
by Driller
I did some quick math and with the price of diesel fuel would run about $600 for my buddies boat. So, they make an additional $600 for 2 days work, insurance, and wear and tear. I can't see how they can tow them for that. Even assuming they are picking up something on the return, it's still not a lot for the amount of work.
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:02 pm
by Big Block Power
Driller wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:18 pm
I did some quick math and with the price of diesel fuel would run about $600 for my buddies boat. So, they make an additional $600 for 2 days work, insurance, and wear and tear. I can't see how they can tow them for that. Even assuming they are picking up something on the return, it's still not a lot for the amount of work.
I agree. But they try to haul something with it and haul it back. I wouldn't do it for what they do it for.
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:23 pm
by AsLan7
Driller wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:42 pm
TinCupp wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:33 am
That’s exactly what I want. Although Tahoe would a a bit of a jaunt for me from MN. Anyone had good luck with or know the price on having someone do transport?
Buddy of mine just got a quote to haul his Cobalt 264 from Houston, TX to Travers City, MI looks like it is going to settle out around $1300. He used U-SHIP as the members of the group recommended.
Nice to hear driller.
Btw, I think you just invented a new Cobalt model.

Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 pm
by NautiGirl
AsLan7 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:23 pm
Driller wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:42 pm
TinCupp wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:33 am
That’s exactly what I want. Although Tahoe would a a bit of a jaunt for me from MN. Anyone had good luck with or know the price on having someone do transport?
Buddy of mine just got a quote to haul his Cobalt 264 from Houston, TX to Travers City, MI looks like it is going to settle out around $1300. He used U-SHIP as the members of the group recommended.
Nice to hear driller.
Btw, I think you just invented a new Cobalt model.
Limited Edition 264...mid cabin 260 series! Lol
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:51 pm
by Big Block Power
NautiGirl wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:23 pm
Driller wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:42 pm
Buddy of mine just got a quote to haul his Cobalt 264 from Houston, TX to Travers City, MI looks like it is going to settle out around $1300. He used U-SHIP as the members of the group recommended.
Nice to hear driller.
Btw, I think you just invented a new Cobalt model.
Limited Edition 264...mid cabin 260 series! Lol
It replaced the A28

Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 pm
by Bfun220
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 pm
by Bfun220
More information
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 pm
by Big Block Power
Just a couple more.
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:07 pm
by cmattj
I'm still wanting to see someone in our group snag this hot rod..
2004 226 with a 496 Ho!! 83 hrs? At 29k
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004- ... 103309759/
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:51 am
by Ytmsn
Hmm. I think I'm going to start calling mine a 264 just to mess with people. Thanks Driller!
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:23 am
by NautiGirl
The Cinci one has been for sale before...I've seen him post on the facebook page sometime last year...he thinks he has the only 226 with the 8.1 in it so he wants a premium price...and my guess is he doesn't want to budge on his price either...unless he's into something else now and is really ready to sell it.
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 am
by Big Block Power
NautiGirl wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:23 am
The Cinci one has been for sale before...I've seen him post on the facebook page sometime last year...he thinks he has the only 226 with the 8.1 in it so he wants a premium price...and my guess is he doesn't want to budge on his price either...unless he's into something else now and is really ready to sell it.
Yea that's the I don't want to sell it price like I use. That's a 30k maybe boat. The 226 doesn't hold the value like a 220 after 2003 does or a 222.
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:22 pm
by Driller
Big Block Power wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:51 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:23 pm
Nice to hear driller.
Btw, I think you just invented a new Cobalt model.
Limited Edition 264...mid cabin 260 series! Lol
It replaced the A28
Ok, it is a 26X of some sort. Don't kick me when I'm down. Cranking out some long days right now and meeting myself coming and going on I-10.
I knew when I typed it that there was a possibility it was wrong, but I was tired and thought my friends wouldn't dog pile me too bad. Wrong.
Re: New Owner (potentially) What to look for?
Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:08 pm
by TinCupp
You’re all the best! Thanks for the recommendations and history on ship prices. Much more reasonable than I anticipated.
I’ve dug a bit further into one of the local models and despite the recommendations against the GSi it looks really good. 2001, 103 hours (actually on boat, original motor). I’ve not put eyes on it yet (several hr drive) and working out loan details but thought I’d spin it off the pros for your invaluable opinions on any downsides outside of the non-preferred motor. The seller tells me the only thing you can find wrong with it (cosmetic or mechanical) is a start to a seam rip in the drivers seat.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 18477.html
Image attached.
Here is where I’m a bit lost. I’m taking a loan on it. In working with a lender, they tell me the book value is only $16k. Ive got the diff to cover lined up to get to where we need to be and seems to be the boat I want (sight unseen) but am curious if book to actual market value on Cobalts typically has this gap?