Page 2 of 5

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:21 am
by akorcovelos
Homeskillet wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am I agree with you all 100%.

Any thoughts to the "possibility of it being the gears, too?"
Gears are likely fine. The longer you run it with a bad clutch the more beating the gears take.

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:33 am
by Holy Smokes
Engine & drive issues do not follow a certain brand. All Mercury and all Volvo have their inherent issues no matter what hull their mated to.

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:39 pm
by Big Block Power
I can tell you after owning a crownline and I belong to the forum. Great guys good boats. But I will never buy another after owning my Oldie but moldie 220. To me they don't even compare.
I'll take yours off your hands cheap when you're ready 😂😂😂
Fix it and run it. Things break that's just the way it goes.

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:02 am
by Homeskillet
Well... Fireworks are cancelled around here, so I guess I won't have to worry about being Cole Trickle back to the launch :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:29 am
by akorcovelos
Rubbin’ is racin’ Son!

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:30 pm
by Homeskillet
Welp!!! it goes in and out of gear in the driveway on the muffs, so we're heading out!!

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:59 pm
by Bleil05
Seams like most of the bugs are out of this boat so I would get the outdrive fixed or if it’s to bad once the mechanic is in it get a used or reman SEI drive
On another note I have always changed my fluids every year this way you can check for water in the drive

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:34 pm
by Big Block Power
Homeskillet wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:30 pm Welp!!! it goes in and out of gear in the driveway on the muffs, so we're heading out!!
In the driveway is diff then I the water So good luck.

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:01 pm
by Homeskillet
Yep! So here's what it's doing (for sure) now:

Goes into gear, every time, no problem. But spins much slower. I can hear it go in (driveway or on the water) every time. But when I advance the throttle, it gives a little "kick" to get going. Seems like it does that more after it's been running more. I'm not sure if any of this changes what anyone thinks about what is wrong. I just wanted to be thorough :)

Had a good time on the water. Got back to the launch, and loaded, with no trouble at all. Supposed to go in Monday for a new Clutch Cone.

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:02 pm
by BigGib
I had to do both come clutches on my 2008 302 with 400 hours in it, wasn't a cheap fix at all but now their good to go. Your gears and bearings are probably good, but they won't know till they open the drives up. Definitely sounds like a cone clutch though.

I've owned 2 Crownlines, a Baja, Formula, IMP, Four Winn's, and now a Cobalt. I can tell you the build quality and fit and finish on the Cobalt blows away any of the other ones I've owned. The Four Winn's was a well built boat, much nicer than our Corwnlines, but still not at the standard of a Cobalt.

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:04 pm
by Homeskillet
Clutch is fixed!

But when he started the boat to test it out, he said it sounded liked it was missing. Checked it out and it’s only running on 6 cylinders. My season may be over. He is going to get into it next week.

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:32 pm
by akorcovelos
Did it have 2 dead pots when you dropped it off for the clutch?

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:14 pm
by Big Block Power
Homeskillet wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:04 pm Clutch is fixed!

But when he started the boat to test it out, he said it sounded liked it was missing. Checked it out and it’s only running on 6 cylinders. My season may be over. He is going to get into it next week.
What the hell.

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:02 am
by AsLan7
Homeskillet wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:04 pm Clutch is fixed!

But when he started the boat to test it out, he said it sounded liked it was missing. Checked it out and it’s only running on 6 cylinders. My season may be over. He is going to get into it next week.
.
How much was the cone clutch fix?

Keep us posted now on the cylinder loss. Double whammy.
...ouch. :shock:

.

Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:22 am
by Homeskillet
Haven’t gotten a bill for the clutch cone yet.