Ok, had a major face palm event today...finally found time to put the circ pump back on.
Plugged the bypass and put a new 160 thermostat in. Used the opportunity to clean the front of the engine and used my paint pen to refresh the timing marks.
Feelin’ HOT HOT HOT!
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Feelin’ HOT HOT HOT!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Feelin’ HOT HOT HOT!
Well, feeling pretty good I put it on the muffs and low and behold, still no water...
Everything but the coolers were new, and the coolers were clear and leak free. Even though I pulled the sea pump once and it looked fine, I decided to replace it anyway. I pulled the “old” impeller out, still looked brand new, EXCEPT when I put the new and old side by side I saw the problem instantly. Not sure how, but the impeller has seized inside the housing, and the pump shaft stripped out the impeller hub. You can see in the pics below that the D hub is now an O on the old one. I have never seen a failure like this.
Life lesson for today, if you pull the sea pump off, never put it back on, even if it looks brand new...put the new pump on and bam, nice strong flow of water out the exhaust and it ran for 15min on the hose and never got close to over heating.
We’re hitting the water tomorrow for a sea trial, but I’m sure it’s fixed.
Everything but the coolers were new, and the coolers were clear and leak free. Even though I pulled the sea pump once and it looked fine, I decided to replace it anyway. I pulled the “old” impeller out, still looked brand new, EXCEPT when I put the new and old side by side I saw the problem instantly. Not sure how, but the impeller has seized inside the housing, and the pump shaft stripped out the impeller hub. You can see in the pics below that the D hub is now an O on the old one. I have never seen a failure like this.
Life lesson for today, if you pull the sea pump off, never put it back on, even if it looks brand new...put the new pump on and bam, nice strong flow of water out the exhaust and it ran for 15min on the hose and never got close to over heating.
We’re hitting the water tomorrow for a sea trial, but I’m sure it’s fixed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Re: Feelin’ HOT HOT HOT!
Please put that bypass back in. On a BBC there is no reason not to keep it.
CS23
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Feelin’ HOT HOT HOT!
Akro why would you block it? Merc put it there for a reason.dustinm wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:12 am Please put that bypass back in. On a BBC there is no reason not to keep it.
Glad it's running normal temps though.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Feelin’ HOT HOT HOT!
The bypass is unnecessary on marine engines. Every high power marine engine either deletes the bypass or deletes the circulation pump all together and runs a cross over pipe. The rubber elbow was ready to fall apart, and it’s just another place to leak. I should say I drilled 4 1/8” holes in the thermostat to allow for some flow before the thermostat opens. Not breaking new trails here, all the high performance builds around here do it.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Re: Feelin’ HOT HOT HOT!
take this for what its worth as Im not trying to run you down, quite the contrary. those HP builds aren't built for longevity - season or two before freshening, some not even that. your engine will warm up more evenly (lessen chances of scored pistons) not to mention lessen the pressure on your thermostat. Its different when you delete the entire GM waterpump as the volume isnt there.
CS23
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Feelin’ HOT HOT HOT!
dustinm wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:06 pm take this for what its worth as Im not trying to run you down, quite the contrary. those HP builds aren't built for longevity - season or two before freshening, some not even that. your engine will warm up more evenly (lessen chances of scored pistons) not to mention lessen the pressure on your thermostat. Its different when you delete the entire GM waterpump as the volume isnt there.
Eh, I’m not worried about it. I’ve got buddies that have been running no bypass for years without issue. Boat ran great today, didn’t miss a beat. Didn’t have my GPS out but I hit 62 on the lie-o-meter, which is faster than I’ve ever seen it.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests