Page 2 of 4

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:08 am
by Krob1114
Lockey14s wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:00 am
Rlauria wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:05 pm Interesting that they are discontinuing the R3 without releasing the New R4. Has anyone heard a R4 release date. I thought that I heard the R3 is there best selling boat.
I agree, a 24' boat is right in the sweet spot for a lot of buyers (including me). they must have enough supply of R3 and orders on receipt to be able to axe it and wait for the R4. I cant wait for the reveal. i want to know if they put a head in it.
+1.
Glad I got mine when I did.

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm
by Stuballs
Cobalt is slapping the face of traditionalists made the company what it is, well the company it used to be. Getting rid of the 3,5 and 7 is the dumbest business move ever.. If I wanted a Malibu I would have bought one.. If it wasn’t for being a pandemic market and boat sales soaring because nobody will travel their sales of the new models would not be so strong.. just wait a few years and watch the traditional looking cobalt of the last 30;years come back.

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:08 am
by Krob1114
Count me in as a "traditonalist."

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:53 am
by BobRae99
Stuballs wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm Cobalt is slapping the face of traditionalists made the company what it is, well the company it used to be. Getting rid of the 3,5 and 7 is the dumbest business move ever.. If I wanted a Malibu I would have bought one.. If it wasn’t for being a pandemic market and boat sales soaring because nobody will travel their sales of the new models would not be so strong.. just wait a few years and watch the traditional looking cobalt of the last 30;years come back.
Business is fun. You develop a product, find a market and then tinker with your product to keep current customers interested and attract new customers. If you don't tinker, you don't survive.

Looking at Cobalt's boats over the past 20 years, you can't say the designs have remained completely static. If they did, why would anyone buy a new boat? In 2017, the round guages in the R series were replaced with a glass cockpit. The interior seating areas were updated with a pebble vinyl (from smooth) and then the ribbed upholstery was changed to a cross stitch (squares) pattern. Curved chrome grab bars were added to the seat back cushions, etc. All of these changes gave the boats a more modern look.

Last month I was in my dealer's indoor showroom with an R3 and R6 parked side by side. I spent an hour sitting on, inspecting and going back and forth between the boats. The R6 seems "fresher" to me. Going back to the R3 makes me feel like I am stepping backwards a bit. It is comfortable in the R3 though because it is familiar. I think the quality in the R6 is on par with the R3.

Looking through this forum, I found a thread with a 252 (including pictures). Double level captain's dash, round guages, wrap around rear bench, dual bucket seats, etc. I'm sure it was leading edge in its day and while carrying design cues from an earlier boat it replaced it was a fresher design. Maybe that is the way to look at the new 2021 R series?

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3722

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:49 am
by Big Block Power
BobRae99 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:53 am
Stuballs wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm Cobalt is slapping the face of traditionalists made the company what it is, well the company it used to be. Getting rid of the 3,5 and 7 is the dumbest business move ever.. If I wanted a Malibu I would have bought one.. If it wasn’t for being a pandemic market and boat sales soaring because nobody will travel their sales of the new models would not be so strong.. just wait a few years and watch the traditional looking cobalt of the last 30;years come back.
Business is fun. You develop a product, find a market and then tinker with your product to keep current customers interested and attract new customers. If you don't tinker, you don't survive.

Looking at Cobalt's boats over the past 20 years, you can't say the designs have remained completely static. If they did, why would anyone buy a new boat? In 2017, the round guages in the R series were replaced with a glass cockpit. The interior seating areas were updated with a pebble vinyl (from smooth) and then the ribbed upholstery was changed to a cross stitch (squares) pattern. Curved chrome grab bars were added to the seat back cushions, etc. All of these changes gave the boats a more modern look.

Last month I was in my dealer's indoor showroom with an R3 and R6 parked side by side. I spent an hour sitting on, inspecting and going back and forth between the boats. The R6 seems "fresher" to me. Going back to the R3 makes me feel like I am stepping backwards a bit. It is comfortable in the R3 though because it is familiar. I think the quality in the R6 is on par with the R3.

Looking through this forum, I found a thread with a 252 (including pictures). Double level captain's dash, round guages, wrap around rear bench, dual bucket seats, etc. I'm sure it was leading edge in its day and while carrying design cues from an earlier boat it replaced it was a fresher design. Maybe that is the way to look at the new 2021 R series?

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3722
Well said Bobrae. Let's skip the r6 and go to the r8 already! 430 Bob!

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:05 pm
by BHD
I have admired Cobalt boats for some time going back to when I kept my Sea Ray on Lake Tahoe. Over the years I have thought about moving to a Cobalt and pulled the trigger recently. To me, the R6 looks, feels and rides like a Cobalt should. Although I am a little biased, I don't at all feel as though the direction Cobalt has taken with the new even numbered R series is in any way a step down. My 2 cents.

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:41 pm
by higginspa1371
Finally sat in a R6 this weekend. Just did not feel as comfortable as my R5. Glad we grabbed last year of the R7 and did not purchase the R6 as originally planned. I am curios of what modifications they will make to the new models over the next couple of years.

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:24 pm
by Big Block Power
BHD wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:05 pm I have admired Cobalt boats for some time going back to when I kept my Sea Ray on Lake Tahoe. Over the years I have thought about moving to a Cobalt and pulled the trigger recently. To me, the R6 looks, feels and rides like a Cobalt should. Although I am a little biased, I don't at all feel as though the direction Cobalt has taken with the new even numbered R series is in any way a step down. My 2 cents.
I agree. The helm well I think that will get updated soon. That was a after thought and they know it. I like the new series. But r 3,5,7 were the bomb. It just set the standard. Cobalt going forward will be just fine.
Electric and autonomous is coming. Merc is already working on it.

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:46 am
by stifflkd
Everyone compares the interior difference between the new and old R's. My bigger concern was in the hull change. 21 degree deadrise to 17 and the elimination of the extended running surface would have made me look elsewhere had there not been one last R5 on the lot.

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:16 am
by Table Rockin
BHD wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:05 pm I have admired Cobalt boats for some time going back to when I kept my Sea Ray on Lake Tahoe. Over the years I have thought about moving to a Cobalt and pulled the trigger recently. To me, the R6 looks, feels and rides like a Cobalt should. Although I am a little biased, I don't at all feel as though the direction Cobalt has taken with the new even numbered R series is in any way a step down. My 2 cents.
Lol they have a basketball hoop setup in the showroom? :lol:

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:29 am
by BobRae99
Table Rockin wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:16 am
BHD wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:05 pm I have admired Cobalt boats for some time going back to when I kept my Sea Ray on Lake Tahoe. Over the years I have thought about moving to a Cobalt and pulled the trigger recently. To me, the R6 looks, feels and rides like a Cobalt should. Although I am a little biased, I don't at all feel as though the direction Cobalt has taken with the new even numbered R series is in any way a step down. My 2 cents.
Lol they have a basketball hoop setup in the showroom? :lol:
Three 3 pointers in a row gets you an additional 2% discount?

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:06 am
by Tuscany
Stuballs wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm Cobalt is slapping the face of traditionalists made the company what it is, well the company it used to be. Getting rid of the 3,5 and 7 is the dumbest business move ever.. If I wanted a Malibu I would have bought one.. If it wasn’t for being a pandemic market and boat sales soaring because nobody will travel their sales of the new models would not be so strong.. just wait a few years and watch the traditional looking cobalt of the last 30;years come back.
I respectfully disagree.
Some may not agree with the direction Cobalt/Malibu may be taking, but IMO, it’s the right decision/direction overall for the future of Cobalt.

When I was young and trying to find my way and figure out my life in business, the one single line I read that totally changed my thinking and approach up to this very day is this:
If it ain’t broke.....break it.

If you stay loyal to status quo, you will soon be swallowed up by the competition. Fruit dying on the vine if you will.
I advise my son.. almost daily as he prepares to take over our company...If I see the same business plan in 10 years, I will have failed you.

If I were to buy another Cobalt, it would be for the soon to be updated R30 replacement...whatever it looks like.

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 am
by tgrace98
Tuscany wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:06 am
Stuballs wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm Cobalt is slapping the face of traditionalists made the company what it is, well the company it used to be. Getting rid of the 3,5 and 7 is the dumbest business move ever.. If I wanted a Malibu I would have bought one.. If it wasn’t for being a pandemic market and boat sales soaring because nobody will travel their sales of the new models would not be so strong.. just wait a few years and watch the traditional looking cobalt of the last 30;years come back.
I respectfully disagree.
We may not like the direction Cobalt may be taking, but it’s the right decision/direction overall for the future of Cobalt.

When I was young and trying to find my way and figure out my life in business, the one single line that totally changed my thinking and approach... up to this day is this:
If it ain’t broke.....break it.

If you stay loyal to status quo, you will soon be swallowed up by the competition.
I tell my son, almost daily as he prepares to take over our company...If I see the same business plan in 10 years, I will have failed you.

If I were to buy another Cobalt, it would be for the soon to be updated R30 replacement...whatever it looks like.

I’m right there with ya T. In the technology field we use the term “If you aren’t learning something new, you are being left behind”

I really do not think what cobalt did with the r6,8 is anything new. They have often been the trend setter in the industry and still are today. As the others copy their ideas and so on. I think the making 1 hull that can be stern, surf, or outboard is a great idea as long as they can make it perform like a traditional cobalt.

If I was looking for a new boat I’d look at an r6,8. But just buying one 2 years ago I do not see anything on the new boats that I can’t live without. So my old man R7 will just have to do for awhile 🤣

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:42 am
by Tuscany
Same here TG.
The old boat will have to do.. poor us...🤣

Re: R7 cancelled??

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:30 am
by dustinm
stifflkd wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:46 am Everyone compares the interior difference between the new and old R's. My bigger concern was in the hull change. 21 degree deadrise to 17 and the elimination of the extended running surface would have made me look elsewhere had there not been one last R5 on the lot.
I agree. This is where Cobalt has always stood apart, ride. They lose that I will never buy another new one again or step up to an even digit.