Page 2 of 3
Re: Irma
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:20 am
by Tuscany
It's definitely stuff, and that's all. That is the bottom line and nothing will change our lives at all.
Others? Really tough to see this happen to people's lives and their homes.
Glad I live in a safe place up north. I'll deal with the cold and snow.
Once it's over, the insurance fight will begin. I'm not looking forward to any of it.
We do have coverage and FEMA flood on both houses, but with claims at an almost national level, It will be a tough time getting anywhere... anywhere close to square, especially after the remodel.
I'm hearing FEMA denial stories from Houston where they are classifying "water rise" not being "flood".

That crap makes for an unpleasant and extended fight.
It may be a blessing in disguise if the homes are wiped clean. Chances of that happening are very real as the storm re-intensifies.
Re: Irma
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:26 am
by Ytmsn
Seriously? Rising water isn't a flood? What a load of crap. I've said for years it's the insurance companies that run this country. The recent healthcare debacle proves it.
It's the Golden Rule. Those who have the gold make the rules.
Re: Irma
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:55 pm
by Tuscany
Can you believe that?
I spoke to a close friend from Mobile Al. who has a friend in the Houston area now having to fight this crap after they were informed by FEMA that their water damage wasn't a "flood", but rather due to rising rain water. That pushes it back to regular insurance coverage. So you know where that ping pong ball lands..
Unreal, but not out of the scope of what I expect from the second major disaster.. with a potential third coming.
Re: Irma
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:04 pm
by Ytmsn
Back in 99 a major Tornado tore through Moore OK. Then a few years later another one followed almost the exact same path. The Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner told the insurance companies to cover the claims... period. He made clear that anyone that didn't would have a very difficult time doing business going forward in the State of Oklahoma.
The claims were covered and everything was rebuilt. That's what we need on these hurricanes. The frickin Insurance companies have the money to cover the claims. The Fed or the State or the Cities shouldn't have to. The insurance companies. That's what premiums are for..
Re: Irma
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:41 am
by Big Block Power
Southern how you doing? Where did you end up going? Stay safe.
Re: Irma
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:25 am
by Southernboatman
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:41 am
Southern how you doing? Where did you end up going? Stay safe.
I'm in Fairhope AL so I'm on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay (I'm about 3/4 mile inland personally). With current track we only have a small craft advisory and expecting 25 knot winds and some rain here later. Started getting windy and a little rough yesterday and big FL boats were coming into the area. Haul out yard almost full at my marina (Barber) in Orange Beach area yesterday. We have shelters open around here taking in folks. We've had our share of storms here so know the drill. We lost 126 homes and a lot more less severe damage here from Katrina and that was a hit on New Orleans to our west. The FL west coast will take quite a beating because of the location of the eye and the strong side of the storm. I've been watching some live fb posts from a s/v andromeda anchored in Key West. Can see some other live on you tube. I've stayed for some and left for some, intentionally or otherwise. Always best to leave if you can. Thanks.
Re: Irma
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:35 am
by Southernboatman
Bunch of FL boats for haul out this week. This onenamed "Refuge" ironically...another one was named "Outta Here".
Re: Irma
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:01 pm
by AsLan7
Downgraded to Cat 2.
Still praying for you southern folks.
Re: Irma
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:34 pm
by Tuscany
Well the call came in today. We didn't even lose a screen in our Lanai. The eye wall literally came right by our complex with 135 mph winds tearing out every Banyan tree, along with anything else with height. Lots of trashed trees, but aside from a few trees landing on the homes, no structural damage and most importantly, no one hurt. No water, no broken windows, no nuthin'.
I can't tell you how shocked I am,
Re: Irma
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:46 pm
by Big Block Power
That's awesome.
Re: Irma
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:56 pm
by AsLan7
Tuscany wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:34 pm
Well the call came in today. We didn't even lose a screen in our Lanai. The eye wall literally came right by our complex with 135 mph winds tearing out every Banyan tree, along with anything else with height. Lots of trashed trees, but aside from a few trees landing on the homes, no structural damage and most importantly, no one hurt. No water, no broken windows, no nuthin'.
I can't tell you how shocked I am,
.
In my line of work, you prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Glad you are on the upside of that equation, T.
Whew.
Re: Irma
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm
by Driller
Great news T. Glad it worked out for you and your family.
Re: Irma
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:02 pm
by Ytmsn
That's just freakin awesome news! Good for You!
Slumber party at Tuscanys Florida house!
Re: Irma
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 pm
by cmattj
Ytmsn wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:02 pm
That's just freakin awesome news! Good for You!
Slumber party at Tuscanys Florida house!
Great to hear!!
Save me a spot!

Re: Irma
Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:39 am
by Tuscany
Thanks guys..
Oh, slumber party there is ON!

Hell yeah.. I still can't believe it took a direct eye wall shot like that and it's still standing..
I was hoping for the best obviously, but I was really thinking the worst, and that was dealing with insurance companies, unknown contractors and being away from home for weeks dealing with a swamp inside of ours, and my sisters place.
What a relief..
Again, thanks guys for the well wishes. I really appreciate the support guys...and gal.