Page 2 of 2

Re: rough idle

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:27 pm
by ajcampen
Blue stabil not red. I like valvtect product best

Re: rough idle

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:47 am
by Ronald
bought new set of plugs this morning ac delco how much do I need to gauge them some said 40 m some said 60 m what is better for v8 380 2014

Re: rough idle

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:56 am
by thunder550
Have you changed the fuel filter/water separator? If you had some bad gas something may have gotten stuck in there. I had an issue when I first got my boat where it would run fine until I stopped and drifted for awhile, then would start up and idle out of no wake zone, and as soon as I went to take off the engine would sputter and die, it would take a few minutes of cranking before it would restart. Changed fuel filter and no more problems.

Might be best to wait until you get the laptop on it, if there's a misfire somewhere that will tell you where. That way you're not throwing parts at it and just hoping for the best. I'm also assuming the newer engines will show fuel pressure through the scanner, anyone know?

Re: rough idle

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:16 am
by jhnmdahl
Things like plugs and filter he will want to change anyway should be fine, but I might not throw things like plug wires in until the shop gets a code reader on it.

Edit - Aslan makes a good point - change fuel with the fuel filter.

John

Re: rough idle

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:51 am
by AsLan7
thunder550 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:56 am Have you changed the fuel filter/water separator? If you had some bad gas something may have gotten stuck in there. I had an issue when I first got my boat where it would run fine until I stopped and drifted for awhile, then would start up and idle out of no wake zone, and as soon as I went to take off the engine would sputter and die, it would take a few minutes of cranking before it would restart. Changed fuel filter and no more problems.

Might be best to wait until you get the laptop on it, if there's a misfire somewhere that will tell you where. That way you're not throwing parts at it and just hoping for the best. I'm also assuming the newer engines will show fuel pressure through the scanner, anyone know?
.

I agree thunder. Still seems fuel related with the intermittent running during different Boat attitudes.—like water 💧 sloshing around somewhere. Gas tank, fuel filter, etc.
Changing plugs and fuel filter is an easy diagnosis and should be done at normal intervals anyways.

Laptop will diagnose fuel pressure. Marine tech diagnosing mine:
.

Re: rough idle

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:56 pm
by Ronald
im a happy puppy now I change the plugs for the acdelco and it runs good now i' m still going to check for ethanol in the tank and keep,the stabil close by at fill up time and when storing the boat ,i gap the plugs at 60m like you guy said on the forum ,i thank all you guy for helping me, be safe, I will post some pics later

Re: rough idle

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:34 pm
by AsLan7
Ronald wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:56 pm im a happy puppy now I change the plugs for the acdelco and it runs good now i' m still going to check for ethanol in the tank and keep,the stabil close by at fill up time and when storing the boat ,i gap the plugs at 60m like you guy said on the forum ,i thank all you guy for helping me, be safe, I will post some pics later
Hey! Great to hear Ronald!!!

All we ask is for some pictures in return. :D :D :D
.

Re: rough idle

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:05 pm
by thunder550
Awesome!!

Re: rough idle

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:39 pm
by Big Block Power
Very cool. Congrats.oh did some of us say pictures and hang with us.

Re: rough idle

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 pm
by thunder550
Oh yeah don't forget pictures! And also pictures. Oh, and last but not least pictures!

Re: rough idle

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:07 pm
by AsLan7
...did anyone mention pictures?? (I think we are addicted to them) :lol: :lol: :lol:
.

Re: rough idle

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:51 pm
by thunder550
:lol: :lol: