Page 2 of 5

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:47 am
by MAP53
I love the yellow, only thing is the canvas shows dirt. It will have to be cleaned right off the bat.

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:06 am
by Big Block Power
MAP53 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:47 am I love the yellow, only thing is the canvas shows dirt. It will have to be cleaned right off the bat.
Star brite makes a great canvas cleaner and water proof. I use it once a year.

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 am
by Bfun220
Yup, that's one sharp boat.

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:29 am
by ColinC
As an owner of a 2007 212 I have to say it is a great boat (like all Cobalts). Mine is powered by a 5.7 gi DP and it is more than ample for water sports and general cruising. You won’t be disappointed.

However, if I were in the market I would take the time to compare the interior layout of the 222 vs. 212. I don’t know the exact dimensional difference, but an extra foot of space in the cockpit would be nice. My next Cobalt will be a 242.

Good luck with the search!

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:08 pm
by Big Block Power
ColinC wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:29 am As an owner of a 2007 212 I have to say it is a great boat (like all Cobalts). Mine is powered by a 5.7 gi DP and it is more than ample for water sports and general cruising. You won’t be disappointed.

However, if I were in the market I would take the time to compare the interior layout of the 222 vs. 212. I don’t know the exact dimensional difference, but an extra foot of space in the cockpit would be nice. My next Cobalt will be a 242.

Good luck with the search!
Well said. It's like going from the 200 to my 220. The bow seating is longer and the cockpit is a good foot and a half larger. The 222 has at least a extra foot and storage in the floor. The side seat is also larger. Not sure on the bow but I think it has 6 inches more. We all know we would take that :-) things to think about.

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:40 am
by jhnmdahl
We went the opposite direction, deciding we liked the interior layout of the 210 better than the 220 after going in to buy a 220. The bow area is big enough and shaped more ergonomically (at least for us), and my wife likes the second captain's seat. I suspect, though, you'll be happy whichever way you go.

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:45 am
by Big Block Power
Correct John my wife I don't believe will let me get a boat without both captain chairs. She wants to sit forward from the pass side.

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:22 pm
by Bfun220
If I got a boat missing the pass side captains chair there would be some reduction in the amount of joy I experience driving my boat.

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:18 pm
by Big Block Power
Bfun220 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:22 pm If I got a boat missing the pass side captains chair there would be some reduction in the amount of joy I experience driving my boat.
I see your point of view B :-)
I'll just bring my own chair with me.lol I think it will fit :-)

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:01 am
by AsLan7
.
So glad you found us MAP53! Nice ride too.

As much as you like Bryant's, I think you will find the Cobalt quality, power & ride second to none. Thank you for posting pics too!

.

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:59 pm
by Alaskabound
Hey Mark, welcome. I live in Shepherdsville just south of Louisville, have a Cobalt & last name is Potter. We must be kin. Ky. Is well represented on the forum.

Dub Potter

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:19 pm
by liquid
Big Block Power wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:18 pm
Bfun220 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:22 pm If I got a boat missing the pass side captains chair there would be some reduction in the amount of joy I experience driving my boat.
I see your point of view B :-)
I'll just bring my own chair with me.lol I think it will fit :-)
I don't like the shotgun Captain's Chair. There's only one captain on this boat!

JK - i like the flipper shotgun and my wife likes to look backwards. Hell, most of the time we're watching kids getting towed or jumping off anyway.

Welcome Map - Nice vessel.

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:42 pm
by MAP53
Well after what seems like forever with subfreezing temps I finally got the pre purchase inspection done today. I called several places but only one insisted that the boat be water tested as well as pulling the drive and checking the gimbal bearings and alignment and doing a compression check. They said that you really need to put a load on the engine and drive to tell the whole story. This particular place is also the only Volvo Penta authorized service facility in the area since the Cobalt dealer closed up around Christmas.

The tech who did the inspection has over 20 years working on Volvos, he was impressed with the boat and was a wealth of knowledge. I learned a lot just today. I now have a go to person/place to get work done that means a lot. I had been a little nervous about the lack of Volvo service compared to Merc.

So everything went very well except we had to dodge all the trash in the Ohio river. The Cobalt runs super and seems very very solid. I did have them change the plugs since they were original from 2007.

It's been 3 years since the impeller has been done and not sure about the fuel filter. Needless to say I am buying this boat. I think that before springtime I will have the oil changed and the lower unit oil as well and the impeller and fuel filter. I need to install a transom trim switch and probably will replace at least one of the batteries since they are 5 years old.

So I should have it tucked away next Friday just waiting for warm weather. Thanks for all the advice I am looking forward to enjoying my new used 212.

Mark

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:24 pm
by cmattj
Congratulations!! That sport stripe is awesome!!

Yes Volvo techs are far and few but real ines are meticulous.

Change the impeller.. easy
Change the fuel filter
Change the oil..

You don't want the old owners probably did it's!!

More pics when you can!

Re: Prospective Owner

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:58 pm
by ColinC
Congrats and welcome to the 212 club! Like you I have an 07 212 with a Volvo DP (5.7L gi). Love mine and no doubt you will love yours.