Page 3 of 6
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:47 pm
by AsLan7
mdadgar wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm
whitelightning wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:58 pm
Boating an expensive hobby? Honesty, I feel it's pretty economical.
Seriously.
Try auto racing some time.
- Mark
Or worse, Equestrian.....even if the fuel is edible. It all depends upon your perspective I guess .
And then there is Space X.
.
.
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:41 am
by Alaskabound
When someone talks about the fuel expense of boating, my thoughts go to 2011 & pulling a 5th wheel 12,000 miles to Alaska & back at about 6-7 mpg & gas about $4.50/ gallon. My Visa card just about melted! Boating is a bargain. A7’s right. It’s all perspective.
Dub
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:50 pm
by Atl Cobalt
Where else can I take my family and a few of their friends for the day and spend $100 on entertainment? Boating is one of the best values for my dollar.
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:51 pm
by MnLakeBum
Atl Cobalt wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:50 pm
Where else can I take my family and a few of their friends for the day and spend $100 on entertainment? Boating is one of the best values for my dollar.
Agree 100%. I’m feeling damn fortunate that I’ve burned about 1,000 gallons of fuel on the water since the end of June. In 4 years I hope to have an engine set up something similar to this beauty that we saw while boating in Naples Florida last November! It would only be a 75 minute cruise down to Key West with those 1400 ponies humming at 5,500 rpms!
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:39 pm
by Tuscany
Boats like that are a dime a dozen down there.
One behind every house on Port Royal.
There is a Regulator dealer around the corner from our house down there, and the have a four banger right by the road that makes it painfully hard when I pass it.
When it comes to fuel costs, boating is no place to worry about that!


Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 am
by LOTOHEAD
tgrace98 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 am
MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 am
They are designed to run on 87. Really I don't gain anything going to 91 on mine but a lighter pocket book.
Here in Minnesota everything except 91 octane has ethanol in it so all the marinas have only 91 octane.
Same here in MO. If you want corn free gas you have to get 91. So you only see 91 octane on the water. And most marinas if they see you lugging a gas can down to the dock will politely tell you if they see the gas cans again you will be finding a new place to keep your boat.
Not everywhere in Mo is like that. At LOTO there is no ethanol on the lake and I get 87 octane all the time. I fill up at Formula for $2.99 a gallon for 87 Oct ethanol free, or I go to Kelly's Port and get it the same price but a 10% discount with cash. You can get premium at most places but 87 octane with no ethanol is all over the lake. From reading this thread I'm pretty lucky on price too!!!

Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:58 pm
by Driller
90 Octane E-Free V-Tec. $4.23 / gal.
Don’t know if I should be happy or sad.
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:42 pm
by AsLan7
Driller wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:58 pm
90 Octane E-Free V-Tec. $4.23 / gal.
Don’t know if I should be happy or sad.
.
My thoughts exactly Driller. Paid the same price for the same product here in Erie yesterday.

Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm
by Bfun220
AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:42 pm
Driller wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:58 pm
90 Octane E-Free V-Tec. $4.23 / gal.
Don’t know if I should be happy or sad.
.
My thoughts exactly Driller. Paid the same price for the same product here in Erie yesterday.
Last fill up was $3.34 for premium. Guess I can't complain.
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:01 pm
by Driller
Bfun220 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:42 pm
Driller wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:58 pm
90 Octane E-Free V-Tec. $4.23 / gal.
Don’t know if I should be happy or sad.
.
My thoughts exactly Driller. Paid the same price for the same product here in Erie yesterday.
Last fill up was $3.34 for premium. Guess I can't complain.
Mine was on the lake, so maybe ok.
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:17 pm
by Bfun220
Driller wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:01 pm
Bfun220 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:42 pm
.
My thoughts exactly Driller. Paid the same price for the same product here in Erie yesterday.
Last fill up was $3.34 for premium. Guess I can't complain.
Mine was on the lake, so maybe ok.
I can get 87 e free for $3.14 about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what it's at now. Not sure where I can get 90 or the cost.
Doesn't sound too far off though.
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:36 am
by akorcovelos
I go to Wisconsin for fuel to avoid the crazy Illinois tax, I’m paying 4.30 gal for premium.
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:35 am
by Big Block Power
Bfun220 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:17 pm
Driller wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:01 pm
Bfun220 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm
Last fill up was $3.34 for premium. Guess I can't complain.
Mine was on the lake, so maybe ok.
I can get 87 e free for $3.14 about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what it's at now. Not sure where I can get 90 or the cost.
Doesn't sound too far off though.
July 4th I pd 2.89 for 87 no E. 3.19 91 no E. Greenville gas station.
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:01 pm
by Jeeper
Last month I paid $5.90 a gallon for E10 87 octane at Dangling Rope Marina at Lake Powell. The next closest fuel stop is 50 miles away on the water. There are no roads within 50 miles either so they have to bring the fuel in on a barge. I chose to top the tank off rather than chance padding back.
Re: Fuel Costs
Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:39 pm
by tgrace98
LOTOHEAD wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 am
tgrace98 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 am
MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am
Here in Minnesota everything except 91 octane has ethanol in it so all the marinas have only 91 octane.
Same here in MO. If you want corn free gas you have to get 91. So you only see 91 octane on the water. And most marinas if they see you lugging a gas can down to the dock will politely tell you if they see the gas cans again you will be finding a new place to keep your boat.
Not everywhere in Mo is like that. At LOTO there is no ethanol on the lake and I get 87 octane all the time. I fill up at Formula for $2.99 a gallon for 87 Oct ethanol free, or I go to Kelly's Port and get it the same price but a 10% discount with cash. You can get premium at most places but 87 octane with no ethanol is all over the lake. From reading this thread I'm pretty lucky on price too!!!
The marina I gas up on at TRL is 3.69/gal for 91 no ethanol. I guess that isn't to terrible. Although I did run through about 120 gallons over the past 10 days
