Page 3 of 4

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:22 pm
by Krob1114
I went to the lake this weekend. Turns out my marine tool kit doesn't have 8 mm so I didn't try to replace.
Taking more tools next weekend.

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:24 am
by mdadgar
So I finally got to use my Volvo "special tool". Boat was overheating in the no-wake zone so I went to replace the impeller with the spare while tied up to the launch ramp dock. Thank dog for Volvo putting the raw water pump on the front of the engine where it belongs.

The POS aftermarket impeller that my mechanic installed at the beginning of the season wasn't threaded, so the tool didn't work. 😡 I ended up prying it out with a screwdriver.

Said aftermarket impeller only lasted about 15 boat days this season. It was missing a couple of blades already.

Only Volvo OEM for me from now on. Two more on order arriving in a week or two, one to replace my on-board spare and one for next season's replacement.

- Mark

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:59 am
by Krob1114
mdadgar wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:24 am So I finally got to use my Volvo "special tool". Boat was overheating in the no-wake zone so I went to replace the impeller with the spare while tied up to the launch ramp dock. Thank dog for Volvo putting the raw water pump on the front of the engine where it belongs.

The POS aftermarket impeller that my mechanic installed at the beginning of the season wasn't threaded, so the tool didn't work. 😡 I ended up prying it out with a screwdriver.

Said aftermarket impeller only lasted about 15 boat days this season. It was missing a couple of blades already.

Only Volvo OEM for me from now on. Two more on order arriving in a week or two, one to replace my on-board spare and one for next season's replacement.

- Mark
Good report. Hope all is well. Thanks to information here, I now carry an 8mm socket for this part. The tool kit I had previously didn't go that small.
I didn't by the tool, I bought a large bolt with the same threads, hope I didn't screw up there.

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:35 am
by trs23
I bought the same tool, replaced my volvo impeller with it, super easy! Took at most 20 minutes, a bunch of that was taking my time making sure everything was aligned to install the new impeller.

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:28 pm
by Big Block Power
Yep never ever use aftermarket impeller for obvious reasons. I've been a OEM guy for everything. They spend millions of dollars doing R&D for a reason. The others not so much.

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:25 am
by stifflkd
I used the VP puller (3843948) to remove the impeller this weekend. Works fine except that the 40mm bolt they supply is a little short to fully release the impeller. I guess I could have man handled it the rest of the way but I wanted to fully inspect the condition with out thinking I caused any damage during the removal. So I went to Home Depot and picked up a M10-1.50x50.

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:35 pm
by 2023BlackR8SURF
He guys, changed mine today. This one has 117 hrs on it. Anyway. The Sherwood puller worked but had to modify a larger screw head going into the bottom of it and then used very small, but thick enough piece of cardboard to shim it even more. Got it out. Used the Glycerin to lube it up. Put the Sherwood tool on it to get it started and tapped it in very easily with a dead blow. Went in very nicely. Will run it out to the lake for a test run, but this document and pictures worked very well. Simple task. Thanks everyone!

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:52 pm
by bruceb58
2023BlackR8SURF wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:35 pm He guys, changed mine today. This one has 117 hrs on it. Anyway. The Sherwood puller worked but had to modify a larger screw head going into the bottom of it and then used very small, but thick enough piece of cardboard to shim it even more. Got it out. Used the Glycerin to lube it up. Put the Sherwood tool on it to get it started and tapped it in very easily with a dead blow. Went in very nicely. Will run it out to the lake for a test run, but this document and pictures worked very well. Simple task. Thanks everyone!
Over how many years? You want to do this every two years and if you put that many hours, more often than that.

Was that impeller ever run dry...even for a few seconds?

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 7:48 am
by 2023BlackR8SURF
bruceb58 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:52 pm
2023BlackR8SURF wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:35 pm He guys, changed mine today. This one has 117 hrs on it. Anyway. The Sherwood puller worked but had to modify a larger screw head going into the bottom of it and then used very small, but thick enough piece of cardboard to shim it even more. Got it out. Used the Glycerin to lube it up. Put the Sherwood tool on it to get it started and tapped it in very easily with a dead blow. Went in very nicely. Will run it out to the lake for a test run, but this document and pictures worked very well. Simple task. Thanks everyone!
Over how many years? You want to do this every two years and if you put that many hours, more often than that.

Was that impeller ever run dry...even for a few seconds?
Don't really know on the dry run. I just bought the boat from an individual. He said they did 50 hrs service on it which i see they changed oil only. I have the receipt. The boat is a 2021 model so not too old.

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:45 am
by stifflkd
Mine was like that after two years. First thing to look at when get an exhaust temp fault. Had a senior moment this spring and ran it dry for maybe 30 seconds or so. Opened it up and the impeller was fine. You just never know.

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:11 am
by Krob1114
Big Block Power wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:28 pm Yep never ever use aftermarket impeller for obvious reasons. I've been a OEM guy for everything. They spend millions of dollars doing R&D for a reason. The others not so much.
With all my injuries last season, I didn't replace my impeller myself. At the end of the season, I had a mechanic tow our boat to his shop as we have no trailer. I had him change the impeller, change the oil and filter, change gas filter, and change the gear lubrication. I had all the parts, or so I thought. I couldn't find the Volvo impeller. Don't know where I put it. He put a Sierra impeller on it. Hope we don't have problems. This weekend was first time out and running temperature was right on.

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:44 am
by bruceb58
2023BlackR8SURF wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:48 am
bruceb58 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:52 pm
2023BlackR8SURF wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:35 pm He guys, changed mine today. This one has 117 hrs on it. Anyway. The Sherwood puller worked but had to modify a larger screw head going into the bottom of it and then used very small, but thick enough piece of cardboard to shim it even more. Got it out. Used the Glycerin to lube it up. Put the Sherwood tool on it to get it started and tapped it in very easily with a dead blow. Went in very nicely. Will run it out to the lake for a test run, but this document and pictures worked very well. Simple task. Thanks everyone!
Over how many years? You want to do this every two years and if you put that many hours, more often than that.

Was that impeller ever run dry...even for a few seconds?
Don't really know on the dry run. I just bought the boat from an individual. He said they did 50 hrs service on it which i see they changed oil only. I have the receipt. The boat is a 2021 model so not too old.
That impeller is in horrible condition...were there any pieces missing? If so, hopefully they didn't end up in the heat exchanger.

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:28 pm
by 2023BlackR8SURF
Ya was thinking that as well. There were a few small pieces missing. Is there a way to check that heat exchanger to see?

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:59 am
by RobL
Love this thread, very informative and makes this task less intimidating. I have 2014 R5 with the V8-380C DP. Is this the right generation engine for this instruction set and parts? VP impeller kit (21700445) and VP puller (3843948)

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:51 am
by jhnmdahl
Krob1114 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:11 am He put a Sierra impeller on it. Hope we don't have problems.
Sierra is perhaps the one aftermarket brand that comes to mind that I would trust. They're sold everywhere, from West Marine to high end dealerships. I've heard they use different manufacturers or sources for their impellers, including Johnson and Mercury, and didn't see much difference between my boat's Volvo and Sierra equivalent. I've ordered the Johnson 09-812B-1 as a replacement for my Volvo kit 21213664 at half the price, as it appears Johnson is likely the manufacturer of both the Volvo water pump and impeller.

John