Page 4 of 7
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:54 pm
by Tuscany
NautiGirl wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:14 pm
Tuscany wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:56 pm
I never close the door. In the end, it’s just boat that depreciates a little less than most, and our hours will be low. For us, it’s a toy that we don’t use much in comparison to most. Having said that, if my dealer has a buyer for my current boat at some of the wild resale numbers I am seeing, it’s adios, and I’ll be all over an R8 if I can buy it at the same discount that I received for my R7..which I’m sure I can.
For me, everything is always for sale.
Except for your puppies!
True dat!
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:50 pm
by WarEagle2003
I love the design and layout of my new R5, and plan to enjoy it for years to come. However, my plan is the same as with anything else, to always have equity in anything we “own.” If the want or need arises, I’ll always be in a position to walk away with money in my pocket, not paying more just to get out of something. Local dealers advertise 20 year loans. Being new to boat ownership, I was floored by this. That’s A LOT of finance charges if you pay only the minimum! I was uncomfortable taking a 10 year loan, but did so with the intent to pay it off in 5-6. No disrespect to anyone taking out longer loans, this is just my personal way of making sure the financial delta that separates me from my next purchase is as low as possible.
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:03 pm
by jhnmdahl
I ordered my 210 as though I would own it for life, and have yet to wish I had anything else - it should be everything I need for at least a decade plus. I think many of us think the same way, which is what drove us toward Cobalt in the first place.
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:50 pm
by BobRae99
WarEagle2003 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:50 pm
I love the design and layout of my new R5, and plan to enjoy it for years to come. However, my plan is the same as with anything else, to always have equity in anything we “own.” If the want or need arises, I’ll always be in a position to walk away with money in my pocket, not paying more just to get out of something. Local dealers advertise 20 year loans. Being new to boat ownership, I was floored by this. That’s A LOT of finance charges if you pay only the minimum! I was uncomfortable taking a 10 year loan, but did so with the intent to pay it off in 5-6. No disrespect to anyone taking out longer loans, this is just my personal way of making sure the financial delta that separates me from my next purchase is as low as possible.
I totally get what you are saying. At 61, I no longer want to finance anything, especially depreciating assets, which is why I paid cash for my 210 and will do the same for my R3. I realize it sounds a bit silly thinking about the next boat already and in all likelihood the R3 will be more boat than I’ll ever need. I guess time will tell if our needs change as my young kids grow.
A friend at the lake I Boat at at has 4 boys in their 20s who weren’t spending much time at the lake anymore preferring to go to another lake and surf. He bought a 5 year old Centurion tow boat and 3 of the 4 boys (plus their friends) now hang out at our lake with dad. He couldn’t be happier. My daughter is 12 and my son is 9. In 5 years when she is 17, who knows if she will be more into surfing and wake boarding. If she is, I know Cobalt will have a new R for me.
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:43 pm
by liquid
Agree. Agree. Agree.
The 17 210 and 220 are awesome layouts. The new 220 I love. The R5 and R7 new I might cut a pinky off for. I still think the A25 is one of the sharpest boats on the water.
I make jokes (they’re not jokes) about the 190 being the goat but the truth is I could sell my boat tomorrow for more than i paid for it 150 hours and 3 years ago.
Financing is a mind state. If you’re comfortable with the terms and understand the cost, fine. Money is cheap right now. If you’re not comfortable holding any debt then never buy anything you can’t outright.
I own a truck that I’ve driven for 12 years. I leased my wife hers because I wanted the safest vehicle possible for she and my kids. Plus she gets sick of anything after 3 years.
I’m about to put in a pool and I’m sure as sh@t not paying for it up front out of pocket but maybe that’s the nature of what I do for living.
What’s my point? Someone please get an R5 surf in traditional colors so I can buy it in a few years.
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:01 am
by Alaskabound
One other thing that’s a big factor in the choice of boats is the type and size of the water you’re on. Since we are on a small inland lake in Ky., the 220 is fine. If I was on Lake Erie like a7 or t, the deeper and longer r series would be critical. On coastal waters like here in Alabama, outboard r series would be the thing because of the salt thing. I would not tow my 220 here for those reasons.
Dub
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:18 am
by Tuscany
liquid wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:43 pm
Agree. Agree. Agree.
The 17 210 and 220 are awesome layouts. The new 220 I love. The R5 and R7 new I might cut a pinky off for. I still think the A25 is one of the sharpest boats on the water.
I make jokes (they’re not jokes) about the 190 being the goat but the truth is I could sell my boat tomorrow for more than i paid for it 150 hours and 3 years ago.
Financing is a mind state. If you’re comfortable with the terms and understand the cost, fine. Money is cheap right now. If you’re not comfortable holding any debt then never buy anything you can’t outright.
I own a truck that I’ve driven for 12 years. I leased my wife hers because I wanted the safest vehicle possible for she and my kids. Plus she gets sick of anything after 3 years.
I’m about to put in a pool and I’m sure as sh@t not paying for it up front out of pocket but maybe that’s the nature of what I do for living.
What’s my point? Someone please get an R5 surf in traditional colors so I can buy it in a few years.
I’m 60, and I take the same approach as BR.
You are young Liquid, and you have a young family. We did the same thing for our family when we were your age. I borrowed what I needed to make happy memories for my family and enjoy life. Those bills all were paid, and you will have no trouble doing the same. This is the time of your life when you and Mrs. Liquid can enjoy the smiles that happy kids can give you. There is no better gift!
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 am
by BobRae99
liquid wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:43 pm
I own a truck that I’ve driven for 12 years. I leased my wife hers because I wanted the safest vehicle possible for she and my kids. Plus she gets sick of anything after 3 years.
Luckily the 3 year "sick of anything" doesn't apply to you.

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:23 pm
by Big Block Power
BobRae99 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 am
liquid wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:43 pm
I own a truck that I’ve driven for 12 years. I leased my wife hers because I wanted the safest vehicle possible for she and my kids. Plus she gets sick of anything after 3 years.
Luckily the 3 year "sick of anything" doesn't apply to you.
Oh I'm sure it does.
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:23 pm
by akorcovelos
WarEagle2003 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:50 pm
I love the design and layout of my new R5, and plan to enjoy it for years to come. However, my plan is the same as with anything else, to always have equity in anything we “own.” If the want or need arises, I’ll always be in a position to walk away with money in my pocket, not paying more just to get out of something. Local dealers advertise 20 year loans. Being new to boat ownership, I was floored by this. That’s A LOT of finance charges if you pay only the minimum! I was uncomfortable taking a 10 year loan, but did so with the intent to pay it off in 5-6. No disrespect to anyone taking out longer loans, this is just my personal way of making sure the financial delta that separates me from my next purchase is as low as possible.
I couldn't believe what the dealers were pushing on financing these days. My buddy spec'd out a $97k Formula and because it has a 'living space' they were pushing a 30 year loan, basically a mortgage, on him. Thankfully he was smart enough to walk away, but can you imagine having payments on a boat for 30 years?
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:20 pm
by liquid
Tuscany wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:18 am
liquid wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:43 pm
Agree. Agree. Agree.
The 17 210 and 220 are awesome layouts. The new 220 I love. The R5 and R7 new I might cut a pinky off for. I still think the A25 is one of the sharpest boats on the water.
I make jokes (they’re not jokes) about the 190 being the goat but the truth is I could sell my boat tomorrow for more than i paid for it 150 hours and 3 years ago.
Financing is a mind state. If you’re comfortable with the terms and understand the cost, fine. Money is cheap right now. If you’re not comfortable holding any debt then never buy anything you can’t outright.
I own a truck that I’ve driven for 12 years. I leased my wife hers because I wanted the safest vehicle possible for she and my kids. Plus she gets sick of anything after 3 years.
I’m about to put in a pool and I’m sure as sh@t not paying for it up front out of pocket but maybe that’s the nature of what I do for living.
What’s my point? Someone please get an R5 surf in traditional colors so I can buy it in a few years.
I’m 60, and I take the same approach as BR.
You are young Liquid, and you have a young family. We did the same thing for our family when we were your age. I borrowed what I needed to make happy memories for my family and enjoy life. Those bills all were paid, and you will have no trouble doing the same. This is the time of your life when you and Mrs. Liquid can enjoy the smiles that happy kids can give you. There is no better gift!
Exactly right.
We spoke about this... on one of our many flights... or van rides...
I kept going back to those convos. That's why we went to Atlantis THIS year. I was going to do the pool NEXT year. F it. Life's too short. I'm splashing with my kids ASAP.
Also - 60 is the new 40 FYI.
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:25 pm
by Tuscany
It is, and I plan on living till I’m in my 90s

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:43 pm
by liquid
Tuscany wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:25 pm
It is, and I plan on living till I’m in my 90s
Atta' boy!
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 am
by smashboat
Before I sign on the dotted line is there any talk of a change in 2021 for the R5
Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:38 am
by Tuscany
Depends on what side of the line you fall on. Some feel that a rebate along with the policy of "tried and true" is preferable than buying something brand new and potentially full of bugs to be worked out.
I've never bitten on a rebate or the tried and true ideology. I'm a guy who will wait for the latest and greatest, and it has never failed me. Who wants to own something brand new but going out of style?
My opinion? Don't touch an R3/5/7/30 with a ten foot pole. I don't think 35-40% off would motivate me to buy right now.