Page 4 of 11
Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:08 pm
by Ytmsn
Dang BB sorry to hear about your trouble. Tomorrow starts a new day so this one will become just a memory. It's all good in the long run!!
Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:41 pm
by AsLan7
Wow
That's a pretty bad tread separation. Fortunately there was no damage to the wheel well.
You and your bro now have a memory that will last a lifetime. Started out rough--ended with laughter...nobody got hurt.

Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:21 am
by Nicad
Nice save on that one. I might be towing a boat up from Montreal or Florida this week so am paranoid about tire or bearing failure. Planning on re adjusting the new fleet. Drop Edgewater155, get Mastercraft Barefoot 200.
Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:30 am
by Tuscany
Well, I think you lucked out! THAT could have really mangled the fender. Now you know the other three tires are ready to blow as well.
Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:15 am
by AsLan7
How old are your trailer tires , BbP?
Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:37 am
by Skiingstrongman
BB sorry to hear about the tire. We experienced that with a long haul when my father sold the checkmate. Went through 3 tires on that trip.
This is a good teaching point for people. Don't ever throw that tire in the boat after replacing it. There was a guy on the other board that had a blowout. He changed it and drove down the highway. A couple miles down the road he looks and sees smoke in the mirror. The tire apparently had internal embers that were not visible. The air coming over the boat stoked the flames and the tire ignited. It was a brand new boat. I won't mention the brand but it was a mid tier center console and the dealer stepped up and did the repairs at cost with the insurance company and the boat looks brand new. I felt awful for the guy though it was his first real trip with the boat so he fished it as is with burns in the deck and gunwales and got it repaired when he got home.
Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:42 am
by AsLan7
Skiingstrongman wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:37 am
BB sorry to hear about the tire. We experienced that with a long haul when my father sold the checkmate. Went through 3 tires on that trip.
This is a good teaching point for people. Don't ever throw that tire in the boat after replacing it. There was a guy on the other board that had a blowout. He changed it and drove down the highway. A couple miles down the road he looks and sees smoke in the mirror. The tire apparently had internal embers that were not visible. The air coming over the boat stoked the flames and the tire ignited. It was a brand new boat. I won't mention the brand but it was a mid tier center console and the dealer stepped up and did the repairs at cost with the insurance company and the boat looks brand new. I felt awful for the guy though it was his first real trip with the boat so he fished it as is with burns in the deck and gunwales and got it repaired when he got home.
Wow,
Never knew about that skstmn. Great info. Thank you.
When the tire blew on the highway while hauling our Fountain, I changed it and put the old tire in our SUV. Glad I did!
Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:03 am
by Tuscany
I think we all fall in the trap of looking at tread wear.
On a trailer, tires never seem to show the same rate of tread wear because they never see the amount of service our cars and trucks show.
They sit for months on end in storage or baking in the sun for months when the boat is docked at a marina.
I read that 5 is the number. If they are looking brand new, but are 5 years old, toss them..or you are simply asking for trouble, and it's always the collateral damage that's the expensive part.
Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:40 am
by AsLan7
Tuscany wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:03 am
I think we all fall in the trap of looking at tread wear.
On a trailer, tires never seem to show the same rate of tread wear because they never see the amount of service our cars and trucks show.
They sit for months on end in storage or baking in the sun for months when the boat is docked at a marina.
I read that 5 is the number. If they are looking brand new, but are 5 years old, toss them..or you are simply asking for trouble, and it's always the collateral damage that's the expensive part.
.
I agree, T. Cracks can so easily form on those sidewalls. Another thing to be mindful about are acetone based sprays when dressing those tires up. these can eventually eat thru the rubber.
We also use tire "skirts" to keep those harmful UV rays off the rubber if the trailer is stored outside for any length of time. One advantage of a smaller Cobalt---you can get it in your garage. Us bigger guys...well not so much...unless you are building your garage castle like Tuscany.
.
Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:50 am
by Tuscany
I got "smartened" up while deciding on tires for the new boat trailer. Man, did I learn about trailer tires.
On my old boat trailer, the tire tread looked brand new, even though they were originals....from 2003.
I never thought twice to change them because they looked good. Yeah, they were definitely weather checked on the sidewalls.
Still, I never thought it was imperative. They were 13" tires, and the trailer was never speced to hold a 4,200 lb boat.
Wow, did I dodge a bullet there.
I think the reason they never blew was pure luck. Maybe because my trip to the ramp was under 25 minutes and not long enough to build heat. Probably because they were Good Year Marathons built in Canada, and not China..
One shot of extended interstate speed in the heat...they would have all blown out together.

Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:08 am
by AsLan7
Tuscany wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:50 am
I got "smartened" up while deciding on tires for the new boat trailer. Man, did I learn about trailer tires.
On my old boat trailer, the tire tread looked brand new, even though they were originals....from 2003.
I never thought twice to change them because they looked good. Yeah, they were definitely weather checked on the sidewalls.
Still, I never thought it was imperative. They were 13" tires, and the trailer was never speced to hold a 4,200 lb boat.
Wow, did I dodge a bullet there.
I think the reason they never blew was pure luck. Maybe because my trip to the ramp was under 25 minutes and not long enough to build heat. Probably because they were Good Year Marathons built in Canada, and not China..
One shot of extended interstate speed in the heat...they would have all blown out together.
.
Yes, we have definitely had our share of trailer issues throughout the years. In fact, we have had many more trailer challenges than boat issues. Another reason we were so attracted to our latest Cobalt purchase since it had a brand new trailer under it.
Kind of ironic that the Cobalt is in the shop now.

Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:18 am
by Big Block Power
The tires are from 2012. Yes they are ready. Stored inside and tread looked new. I haven't seen any cracks in them. Aired up to 50psi and I don't ever use tire dressing on trailer tires. Also one lug nut wouldn't come off so I broke the stud. The good is it was on the non brake axle so easy fix. It messed up the carpet and inner fender a bit no big deal. This gives me a good train to get new rims and tires now. I'll get the new Goodyear Endurance tires. Of course Sam's club had them on sale but I'll see what my cost is at work. Tire sale in October at our work to free $50 gas card with 4 tires

Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:23 am
by Skiingstrongman
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... st10062781
I hope John doesn't mind me posting this here. If so please feel free to delete it. There's a lot of good information in here from some fire guys.
Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:25 am
by Tuscany
BB
Try this place.
www.tredit.com
Good Year Endurance are the best.
Re: Crappy ending to a great day on the water.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:31 am
by Big Block Power
That's crazy. I threw mine in the truck. Still crap that works suck. Mine blew on a 20 minute hwy trip. So distance didn't matter. I've heard of other Goodyear Marathons having tread separation. But I don't blame them. Their over five years old.