Page 4 of 4

Re: Starting Stereo/Electronics Upgrade Project

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2025 6:04 pm
by jwill323
jhnmdahl wrote: Tue Mar 04, 2025 5:34 pm Good advice, JWill.

I ended up installing a new breaker (by the power switch under the rear seat in my boat) and 4ga power lines to the amplifier to drive a JL 600W amplifier in part because I wanted the ability to add a second amp and a sub without running new power from the back of the boat to the center console. It wasn't really all that difficult, and seemed like the right thing to do. My boat originally had a head unit but no external amp, so using the existing wiring wasn't really a feasible option.
I think pulling 4ga is the right idea! I was done wiring by May last summer and wanted to get on the water so it stayed as is! Did you unscrew and pull the whole battery switch panel when you ran your wires? Im planning on doing this in a few weeks to clean up and try and understand how my switches and batteries are wired and see if i can get this cleaned up and upgrading to some group 27 Odyssey Extreme batteries. What model do you have and how confusing was the battery switch wiring?

Re: Starting Stereo/Electronics Upgrade Project

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2025 6:50 pm
by jhnmdahl
I did pull the switch pane, and replace the switch and added an ACR and a breaker for the audio stuff. I added a new battery switch through the Add-A-Battery kit that comes with a charging relay, and I have one battery as a starter battery and the second as a "house" electronics battery. This thread has a pretty good summary of the add-a-battery cit and ACR - viewtopic.php?t=4345

I wired mine so that the ACR is disconnected when the switch is off, so there's no parasitic drain, also discussed here - viewtopic.php?t=4345

Not rocket science, but mounting and routing stuff with 4ga wire is a bit more effort sometimes than wiring with 18ga or something I'm used to. But it was a good excuse to buy a new crimper, wire cutter, etc.

Re: Starting Stereo/Electronics Upgrade Project

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2025 3:54 am
by Mathis.323
Hey, unfortunately I didn’t find the time to reply during the last ten days. Busy days at work currently…
Anyways, thank you so much for the elaborated answers, especially to JWill! You really helped me and I feel much more confident now.
Once we are done with all of our work on the boat, I might open a summarizing topic.

All the best from the very cold Germany!

Re: Starting Stereo/Electronics Upgrade Project

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2026 9:05 pm
by Chasespeed
jwill323 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:25 am So I'm starting my stereo upgrade project on my 2007 323 and thought I would share some pics as I go along. I'll be upgrading the head unit, amps, speakers, GPS and some lighting. I'm also adding a NMEA 2000 backbone and possibly a smart craft to NMEA or Fox Marine system to integrate engine data into the new GPS unit (haven't decided yet on which system but leaning towards the Fox Marine for cost and ease of installation. Anyway, Im doing some removal of old gear now and building some sub-assemblies here at home to make the final installation easier on the boat. This is where I'm at so far:

IMG_3070.jpeg


IMG_3079.jpeg


IMG_3121.jpeg
I have some questions for you, as no matter how much I search, I keep coming back to your post.

How was the OEM head unit configured? 2 zones or 3?

Does the switch for the transom speakers just turn an amp on/off, via the remote input terminal?

Mine has been replaced by a Fusion IP600, and it just crapped out.

I dont need an Apollo unit. I'd rather just the RA70....

Also, where is the OEM amp location?

I hate to ask, but, the boat is docked almost 1.5hours away, and I need to order it, and have it wired in by Saturday afternoon if possible.

Re: Starting Stereo/Electronics Upgrade Project

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2026 1:28 pm
by AsLan7
Chasespeed wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2026 9:05 pm
jwill323 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:25 am So I'm starting my stereo upgrade project on my 2007 323 and thought I would share some pics as I go along. I'll be upgrading the head unit, amps, speakers, GPS and some lighting. I'm also adding a NMEA 2000 backbone and possibly a smart craft to NMEA or Fox Marine system to integrate engine data into the new GPS unit (haven't decided yet on which system but leaning towards the Fox Marine for cost and ease of installation. Anyway, Im doing some removal of old gear now and building some sub-assemblies here at home to make the final installation easier on the boat. This is where I'm at so far:

IMG_3070.jpeg


IMG_3079.jpeg


IMG_3121.jpeg
I have some questions for you, as no matter how much I search, I keep coming back to your post.

How was the OEM head unit configured? 2 zones or 3?

Does the switch for the transom speakers just turn an amp on/off, via the remote input terminal?

Mine has been replaced by a Fusion IP600, and it just crapped out.

I dont need an Apollo unit. I'd rather just the RA70....

Also, where is the OEM amp location?

I hate to ask, but, the boat is docked almost 1.5hours away, and I need to order it, and have it wired in by Saturday afternoon if possible.
.
So glad you found us CS....

Hopefully you will get a reply shortly. Great resource here. Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate!

.

Re: Starting Stereo/Electronics Upgrade Project

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 9:28 am
by jhnmdahl
Chasespeed wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2026 9:05 pm I have some questions for you, as no matter how much I search, I keep coming back to your post.

How was the OEM head unit configured? 2 zones or 3?

Does the switch for the transom speakers just turn an amp on/off, via the remote input terminal?

Mine has been replaced by a Fusion IP600, and it just crapped out.

I dont need an Apollo unit. I'd rather just the RA70....

Also, where is the OEM amp location?

I hate to ask, but, the boat is docked almost 1.5hours away, and I need to order it, and have it wired in by Saturday afternoon if possible.
On smaller Cobalts, the electronics are usually behind the front seat in front of either the left or right console (you typically have to remove a panel once the seat back is raised or removed to see the wiring and components). I'm guessing your electronics are behind the left and right consoles too, but that you have to access them through other removable panels in the cabin. Perhaps someone with a 323 will see this and can be more help.

Re: Starting Stereo/Electronics Upgrade Project

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 6:21 pm
by Chasespeed
AsLan7 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2026 1:28 pm
Chasespeed wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2026 9:05 pm
jwill323 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:25 am So I'm starting my stereo upgrade project on my 2007 323 and thought I would share some pics as I go along. I'll be upgrading the head unit, amps, speakers, GPS and some lighting. I'm also adding a NMEA 2000 backbone and possibly a smart craft to NMEA or Fox Marine system to integrate engine data into the new GPS unit (haven't decided yet on which system but leaning towards the Fox Marine for cost and ease of installation. Anyway, Im doing some removal of old gear now and building some sub-assemblies here at home to make the final installation easier on the boat. This is where I'm at so far:

IMG_3070.jpeg


IMG_3079.jpeg


IMG_3121.jpeg
I have some questions for you, as no matter how much I search, I keep coming back to your post.

How was the OEM head unit configured? 2 zones or 3?

Does the switch for the transom speakers just turn an amp on/off, via the remote input terminal?

Mine has been replaced by a Fusion IP600, and it just crapped out.

I dont need an Apollo unit. I'd rather just the RA70....

Also, where is the OEM amp location?

I hate to ask, but, the boat is docked almost 1.5hours away, and I need to order it, and have it wired in by Saturday afternoon if possible.
.
So glad you found us CS....

Hopefully you will get a reply shortly. Great resource here. Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate!

.

jhnmdahl wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2026 9:28 am
Chasespeed wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2026 9:05 pm I have some questions for you, as no matter how much I search, I keep coming back to your post.

How was the OEM head unit configured? 2 zones or 3?

Does the switch for the transom speakers just turn an amp on/off, via the remote input terminal?

Mine has been replaced by a Fusion IP600, and it just crapped out.

I dont need an Apollo unit. I'd rather just the RA70....

Also, where is the OEM amp location?

I hate to ask, but, the boat is docked almost 1.5hours away, and I need to order it, and have it wired in by Saturday afternoon if possible.
On smaller Cobalts, the electronics are usually behind the front seat in front of either the left or right console (you typically have to remove a panel once the seat back is raised or removed to see the wiring and components). I'm guessing your electronics are behind the left and right consoles too, but that you have to access them through other removable panels in the cabin. Perhaps someone with a 323 will see this and can be more help.

Just saw the replies.

Added the RA670.
Found the amps, in the.. storage locker below the stairs, behind a panel.

Tried to upload a few pics, but, aparently I am unfamiliar with the format, and was only able to do one.

Anyway, thanks

Re: Starting Stereo/Electronics Upgrade Project

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:31 am
by JameswithCreative
Some great info and resources here!