Page 4 of 30
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 am
by AsLan7
Tuscany wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:30 am
AsLan7 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:14 am
Table Rockin wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:40 am
Alice in chains! Love them. Their mtv unplugged album is one of my all time favorites. I have the dvd of that show as well and still watch it from time to time. Stupid layne staley......damn he was unique.
.
The song "Rooster" is a classic written by Jerry Jr. about his dad (nicknamed Rooster in the Army) & the horrors that Sr. experienced while fighting in the Vietnam war.
It's some very raw & powerful grunge rock...
.
.
(As a side note, I can't imagine being spit on by my country after returning from the fight. I thank those guys every chance I get when I see them. They paved the way for my generation who is much more appreciated by the public when we return from the battle front because of what 'Nam era soldiers went thru. We may not support the war...but we support the troops. Thank you Rooster.)
.
I think the term/song name "Rooster" came from what the N. Vietnamese called the 101st. They have the Bald Eagle sleeve patch as their symbol, and the NV called it/them "roosters".
Ha...probably right there, T. I always thought it was a nickname for Jerry's dad. Shows my Air Force ignorance of the Army.
.
On another note, Linkin Park gets air play on our boat. (love crankin' this one on the home system as well...LOUDLY!)
.
.
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:12 pm
by Tuscany
Table Rockin wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:40 am
Alice in chains! Love them. Their mtv unplugged album is one of my all time favorites. I have the dvd of that show as well and still watch it from time to time. Stupid layne staley......damn he was unique.
I think the song “Sludge Factory” summed up Laynes life in his last few years on Earth. Young, depressed, the loss of his girlfriend and corporate pressure, mixed with the needle. That never ends well.
For those who don’t know, the term “Sludge” is how AIC’S fans describe their unique thick sludgy sound.
Stahley also used to spend a lot of time living with the Seattle homeless. Not for humanitarian reasons, but rather because they were his friends. Thus the song, “Man In a Box”
IMO, Just one of the most underrated groups/songwriters of all time, and definitely one of the great voices in Jerry Cantrell.
Listen to the song “Black Gives Way to Blue”. It’s a goodbye song Jerry wrote for Layne on AICs the first album back since Laynes death, and that he is respectfully moving on. That’s Elton John on the piano.
I can go on and on, I guess you get the idea that this is probably my favorite group of all time. Every album, every song...
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:28 pm
by AsLan7
.
T, AIC certainly left their mark. "Black Gives Way to Blue" seems too way short. A nice tribute though.
.
Shifting gears again, it's funny seeing Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timerlake doing a parody of Barry and Robin Gibb respectively using a political talk show skit on SNL.
That being said, the Bee Gees music still gets the juices flowing. Watched the Canadian cast of "Night Fever"--a Bee Gees tribute band, last summer as they performed at Bemus Point in NY. If only we had our boat. Maybe this year.
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 pm
by Tuscany
I don’t think it was meant to be a song, but rather Jerry giving a respectful good-bye, and putting Laynes chapter to rest.
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:16 pm
by AsLan7
Tuscany wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 pm
I don’t think it was meant to be a song, but rather Jerry giving a respectful good-bye, and putting Laynes chapter to rest.
.
It certainly is respectful. I just thought with Elton John on the piano coupled with some of the ballads for which he (Elton) is known, it would have been more of a tribute than a song. Hopefully it did help Jerry find closure.
.
I like to play this one to find the weakness in any sound system. It's a classic performed by Aaron Copland. (some like the Emerson Lake & Palmer version as well).
Fanfare for the Common Man....
.
.
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:36 pm
by AsLan7
.
For Ytmsn.
.
.
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:57 pm
by Table Rockin
Haha....thats the song that plays constantly on one of my pinball machines
Tusc thats good info on Layne. I did not know of his association with the homeless and didnt know the reference in Man in the Box. It all makes sense once you say that but I didnt realize the roots there.
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:07 pm
by Ytmsn
Good one A7! One of my favorites!
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:43 pm
by AsLan7
.
I know Nauti will like this one.
A good one to play while on the water kickin' back in a cove or around the campfire after a great day boating with friends.
.
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:50 pm
by Tuscany
AsLan7 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Tuscany wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 pm
I don’t think it was meant to be a song, but rather Jerry giving a respectful good-bye, and putting Laynes chapter to rest.
.
It certainly is respectful. I just thought with Elton John on the piano coupled with some of the ballads for which he (Elton) is known, it would have been more of a tribute than a song. Hopefully it did help Jerry find closure.
.
I like to play this one to find the weakness in any sound system. It's a classic performed by Aaron Copland. (some like the Emerson Lake & Palmer version as well).
Fanfare for the Common Man....
.
I had 8 tickets to see ZZ Top about five years ago. I was going to surprise my guys at the deli.. I think the date was September 21st. I woke up in a cold sweat, at about 3:00am on the 22nd.. yeah, I forgot.


I bought the tickets a few months before and just plain forgot..
I’ve seen them about 4-5 times, but the younger gen that works for me hasn’t.
FML....
Elton John was the first concert Layne Stahley ever saw, and it was when he was a kid, and with his dad. Jerry Cantrell asked Elton John if he would play the piano on that song, figuring he had little to no shot of it actually happening.
Well, it did. Shows what kind of nice man Elton John is...
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:54 pm
by NautiGirl
AsLan7 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:43 pm
.
I know Nauti will like this one.
A good one to play while on the water kickin' back in a cove or around the campfire after a great day boating with friends.
.
.
Can relate to this song a lot. I love skiing as much as I love boating...there something to be said for the view from the top of a mountain...just like there is nothing better than a lake sunset. I’m lucky they are two very different seasons so I don’t have to choose!
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:10 pm
by Ytmsn
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy me a boat.
I don't know how to embed but here's one for you A7
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:27 pm
by AsLan7
Ytmsn wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:10 pm
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy me a boat.
I don't know how to embed but here's one for you A7
That's a funny song, Yt.
....and if you want the youTube video to show up in CChat, do this:
From your Windows PC or mobile device....
Open the video in youTube.
In the address bar, select and copy the URL or the address
Go back to CChat site
Click on the "TV" icon at the top of your dialog box (make sure you are in
full editor & preview mode)
Right click between the brackets that show up and then paste that URL or address between those brackets.
Submit.
Easy as pie?
.
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:29 pm
by Ytmsn
Easy as pie. Not. Not when I'm using my phone
Re: What are you listening to.....
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:30 pm
by AsLan7
Ytmsn wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:29 pm
Easy as pie. Not. Not when I'm using my phone
It can be done but not as easy. Share the YouTube video link to your email and then copy the string of numbers/letters for copy and pasting.