Page 5 of 7

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 am
by Lockey14s
IMG_3007.PNG
I believe this is the so called "R6"

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:45 am
by Tuscany
That's an old picture of an A25 mule with a surf prop

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 am
by Lockey14s
Tuscany wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:45 am That's an old picture of an A25 mule with a surf prop
Not an A25. notice the surf gate

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:51 am
by BobRae99
Lockey14s wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 am IMG_3007.PNG

I believe this is the so-called "R6"
It looks a bit like a CS with the black striping widening to the swim platform (I know it isn't one though). We should be seeing the R6 sometime this month if my initial information from Coblat (April 2019) is correct. It is supposed to be introduced in the fall and start selling in 2020 as a 2021 model.

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:53 am
by BobRae99
Lockey14s wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 am
Tuscany wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:45 am That's an old picture of an A25 mule with a surf prop
Not an A25. notice the surf gate
Unlikely it's a new "R" series boat though - note the two individual seats for pilot and co-pilot? The R series boats have had the flipping backrest co-pilot seat for quite a few years now. I think an individual seat would be a step backwards both in terms of comfort, seating capacity and flexibility.

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:08 pm
by Macarokks
BobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:53 am
Lockey14s wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 am
Tuscany wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:45 am That's an old picture of an A25 mule with a surf prop
Not an A25. notice the surf gate
Unlikely it's a new "R" series boat though - note the two individual seats for pilot and co-pilot? The R series boats have had the flipping backrest co-pilot seat for quite a few years now. I think an individual seat would be a step backwards both in terms of comfort, seating capacity and flexibility.
Test hulls don’t typically depict the final interior layout. If you look at the picture there’s no type of deck even installed, just lumber keeping the hull supported. So the 220 style captains chair test seats don’t indicate a model.

Although the lines may look similar to an A series, I’m not betting my paycheck that it is an A series. Also, As Lockey mentioned you can see the surf gate.

Speculation is fun! Will be exciting to see finished products of new models.

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:24 pm
by BobRae99
Macarokks wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:08 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:53 am
Lockey14s wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 am

Not an A25. notice the surf gate
Unlikely it's a new "R" series boat though - note the two individual seats for pilot and co-pilot? The R series boats have had the flipping backrest co-pilot seat for quite a few years now. I think an individual seat would be a step backwards both in terms of comfort, seating capacity and flexibility.
Test hulls don’t typically depict the final interior layout. If you look at the picture there’s no type of deck even installed, just lumber keeping the hull supported. So the 220 style captains chair test seats don’t indicate a model.

Although the lines may look similar to an A series, I’m not betting my paycheck that it is an A series. Also, As Lockey mentioned you can see the surf gate.

Speculation is fun! Will be exciting to see finished products of new models.
I agree. :)

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm
by tgrace98
BobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:51 am
Lockey14s wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 am IMG_3007.PNG

I believe this is the so-called "R6"
It looks a bit like a CS with the black striping widening to the swim platform (I know it isn't one though). We should be seeing the R6 sometime this month if my initial information from Coblat (April 2019) is correct. It is supposed to be introduced in the fall and start selling in 2020 as a 2021 model.
My guess would be if something is getting announced for 2021 it will get shown off at the dealers summit that is in the fall. That was when the A36BR was announced for the first time last year. If not we might have to wait until Miami in Feb.

WIth the rising popularity of the surf models in the R series do you all ever see a time in which the R series is nothing but Surf boats? And if you want a traditional stern drive you will have to move up to the A series? I doubt Cobalt would ever do this but I am seeing more and more surf boats getting built.

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:03 pm
by NautiGirl
tgrace98 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:51 am
Lockey14s wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 am IMG_3007.PNG

I believe this is the so-called "R6"
It looks a bit like a CS with the black striping widening to the swim platform (I know it isn't one though). We should be seeing the R6 sometime this month if my initial information from Coblat (April 2019) is correct. It is supposed to be introduced in the fall and start selling in 2020 as a 2021 model.
My guess would be if something is getting announced for 2021 it will get shown off at the dealers summit that is in the fall. That was when the A36BR was announced for the first time last year. If not we might have to wait until Miami in Feb.

WIth the rising popularity of the surf models in the R series do you all ever see a time in which the R series is nothing but Surf boats? And if you want a traditional stern drive you will have to move up to the A series? I doubt Cobalt would ever do this but I am seeing more and more surf boats getting built.
I hope not. We did an on water test drive of an R5 Surf last weekend. Same 380hp VP as your R7 and Katie and I were both a bit underwhelmed. We both walked away thinking your R7 had quite a bit more Mid throttle acceleration. We had 6 adults on the R5 and don't get me wrong it still moved well, but it didn't have that same push you back in your seat feeling. After riding on yours I know its not the 380 V8 so it's got to be that the props are just a compromise between cruising and towing a surfer.

teamNauti won't be making a purchase anytime soon, but man the EVC on the R5 was nice...other takeaway is the new engines are so quiet. I know the guys at Cobalt told us that, but I guess I had it in my head that they were still V8's and would sound like it. I missed the angry noises from the engine compartment, hell I couldn't even tell when Katie was at WOT....oh wait it was a test drive of a boat that wasn't ours and gas that we didn't pay for, it was at WOT the entire time lol.

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:09 pm
by Macarokks
tgrace98 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:51 am
Lockey14s wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 am IMG_3007.PNG

I believe this is the so-called "R6"
It looks a bit like a CS with the black striping widening to the swim platform (I know it isn't one though). We should be seeing the R6 sometime this month if my initial information from Coblat (April 2019) is correct. It is supposed to be introduced in the fall and start selling in 2020 as a 2021 model.
My guess would be if something is getting announced for 2021 it will get shown off at the dealers summit that is in the fall. That was when the A36BR was announced for the first time last year. If not we might have to wait until Miami in Feb.

WIth the rising popularity of the surf models in the R series do you all ever see a time in which the R series is nothing but Surf boats? And if you want a traditional stern drive you will have to move up to the A series? I doubt Cobalt would ever do this but I am seeing more and more surf boats getting built.
I do know that industry research shows that a flat transom produces a better wake. Wake/surf boats continue to gain market share. Gotta go where the buyers are.

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:10 pm
by tgrace98
NautiGirl wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:03 pm
tgrace98 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:51 am

It looks a bit like a CS with the black striping widening to the swim platform (I know it isn't one though). We should be seeing the R6 sometime this month if my initial information from Coblat (April 2019) is correct. It is supposed to be introduced in the fall and start selling in 2020 as a 2021 model.
My guess would be if something is getting announced for 2021 it will get shown off at the dealers summit that is in the fall. That was when the A36BR was announced for the first time last year. If not we might have to wait until Miami in Feb.

WIth the rising popularity of the surf models in the R series do you all ever see a time in which the R series is nothing but Surf boats? And if you want a traditional stern drive you will have to move up to the A series? I doubt Cobalt would ever do this but I am seeing more and more surf boats getting built.
I hope not. We did an on water test drive of an R5 Surf last weekend. Same 380hp VP as your R7 and Katie and I were both a bit underwhelmed. We both walked away thinking your R7 had quite a bit more Mid throttle acceleration. We had 6 adults on the R5 and don't get me wrong it still moved well, but it didn't have that same push you back in your seat feeling. After riding on yours I know its not the 380 V8 so it's got to be that the props are just a compromise between cruising and towing a surfer.

teamNauti won't be making a purchase anytime soon, but man the EVC on the R5 was nice...other takeaway is the new engines are so quiet. I know the guys at Cobalt told us that, but I guess I had it in my head that they were still V8's and would sound like it. I missed the angry noises from the engine compartment, hell I couldn't even tell when Katie was at WOT....oh wait it was a test drive of a boat that wasn't ours and gas that we didn't pay for, it was at WOT the entire time lol.

Prop charts alone prove your theory.

VP380 FWD planes almost a half second slower compared to the standard stern drive and top speed is about 2mph slower.

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:18 pm
by NautiGirl
tgrace98 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:10 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:03 pm
tgrace98 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm

My guess would be if something is getting announced for 2021 it will get shown off at the dealers summit that is in the fall. That was when the A36BR was announced for the first time last year. If not we might have to wait until Miami in Feb.

WIth the rising popularity of the surf models in the R series do you all ever see a time in which the R series is nothing but Surf boats? And if you want a traditional stern drive you will have to move up to the A series? I doubt Cobalt would ever do this but I am seeing more and more surf boats getting built.
I hope not. We did an on water test drive of an R5 Surf last weekend. Same 380hp VP as your R7 and Katie and I were both a bit underwhelmed. We both walked away thinking your R7 had quite a bit more Mid throttle acceleration. We had 6 adults on the R5 and don't get me wrong it still moved well, but it didn't have that same push you back in your seat feeling. After riding on yours I know its not the 380 V8 so it's got to be that the props are just a compromise between cruising and towing a surfer.

teamNauti won't be making a purchase anytime soon, but man the EVC on the R5 was nice...other takeaway is the new engines are so quiet. I know the guys at Cobalt told us that, but I guess I had it in my head that they were still V8's and would sound like it. I missed the angry noises from the engine compartment, hell I couldn't even tell when Katie was at WOT....oh wait it was a test drive of a boat that wasn't ours and gas that we didn't pay for, it was at WOT the entire time lol.

Prop charts alone prove your theory.

VP380 FWD planes almost a half second slower compared to the standard stern drive and top speed is about 2mph slower.
Look at me knowing what I am talking about! Go me!

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:24 pm
by tgrace98
Macarokks wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:09 pm
tgrace98 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:51 am

It looks a bit like a CS with the black striping widening to the swim platform (I know it isn't one though). We should be seeing the R6 sometime this month if my initial information from Coblat (April 2019) is correct. It is supposed to be introduced in the fall and start selling in 2020 as a 2021 model.
My guess would be if something is getting announced for 2021 it will get shown off at the dealers summit that is in the fall. That was when the A36BR was announced for the first time last year. If not we might have to wait until Miami in Feb.

WIth the rising popularity of the surf models in the R series do you all ever see a time in which the R series is nothing but Surf boats? And if you want a traditional stern drive you will have to move up to the A series? I doubt Cobalt would ever do this but I am seeing more and more surf boats getting built.
I do know that industry research shows that a flat transom produces a better wake. Wake/surf boats continue to gain market share. Gotta go where the buyers are.
I am sure part of Cobalt/Malibu's strategy is to get folks into the surf Model cobalts and when they get hooked on surfing they go and trade it in for a LSV Malibu wakesetter.

Personally I could never own a surf purpose boat. I have rode in my buddies mastercraft many of times and the ride quality and the 35mph top speed is enough to turn me off.

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:46 pm
by Macarokks
tgrace98 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:24 pm
Macarokks wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:09 pm
tgrace98 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm

My guess would be if something is getting announced for 2021 it will get shown off at the dealers summit that is in the fall. That was when the A36BR was announced for the first time last year. If not we might have to wait until Miami in Feb.

WIth the rising popularity of the surf models in the R series do you all ever see a time in which the R series is nothing but Surf boats? And if you want a traditional stern drive you will have to move up to the A series? I doubt Cobalt would ever do this but I am seeing more and more surf boats getting built.
I do know that industry research shows that a flat transom produces a better wake. Wake/surf boats continue to gain market share. Gotta go where the buyers are.
I am sure part of Cobalt/Malibu's strategy is to get folks into the surf Model cobalts and when they get hooked on surfing they go and trade it in for a LSV Malibu wakesetter.

Personally I could never own a surf purpose boat. I have rode in my buddies mastercraft many of times and the ride quality and the 35mph top speed is enough to turn me off.
I dunno that they’d want to take profit share from Cobalt. Can’t forget that Cobalt has built direct drive in the past. Never know what could happen!

Re: Is something stirring at Cobalt?

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:54 pm
by BobRae99
tgrace98 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:51 am
Lockey14s wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 am IMG_3007.PNG

I believe this is the so-called "R6"
It looks a bit like a CS with the black striping widening to the swim platform (I know it isn't one though). We should be seeing the R6 sometime this month if my initial information from Coblat (April 2019) is correct. It is supposed to be introduced in the fall and start selling in 2020 as a 2021 model.
My guess would be if something is getting announced for 2021 it will get shown off at the dealers summit that is in the fall. That was when the A36BR was announced for the first time last year. If not we might have to wait until Miami in Feb.

WIth the rising popularity of the surf models in the R series do you all ever see a time in which the R series is nothing but Surf boats? And if you want a traditional stern drive you will have to move up to the A series? I doubt Cobalt would ever do this but I am seeing more and more surf boats getting built.
No, I don't. Cobalt is trying to have something for everyone in its lineup, hence the Surf series. But there are plenty of customers (like me) who don't want (or need) a Surf boat, so I expect we'll continue to see the regular stern drive models. of course, if 95% of the boats sold are Surf models, maybe they will drop the stern drives. Porsche used to sell the 911 exclusively as a manual transmission car, but now over 80% of its customers buy with a PDK (automated manual) transmission. Those models are released first and the manual transmissions come out later.