Page 1 of 2

Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:05 am
by Photo_G
Hi,

I'd like to duplicate the ignition key for our 2011 210 (for my Son). My dealer said there should be a number on the original key that can be used to order a duplicate/replacement, but I don't see one. Does anyone have some guidance on how to get a Cobalt key duplicated?

Thanks in advance,
G

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:09 am
by Big Block Power
It's a letter on the key.
Debbie hayes used to have some not sure if she sold out of them. I think it's in the cobalt parts thread. Or just call a dealer they will send you that key.

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:17 am
by Photo_G
Ah, there is a letter there! Thanks so much BBP!!

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:45 am
by Big Block Power
Photo_G wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:17 am Ah, there is a letter there! Thanks so much BBP!!
Yep. I won't give it the secret. Just call the dealer or deb. I'll look for the thread.
Looks like she is out of keys. A8 tried.

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:03 pm
by Photo_G
Thanks again BBP! I'll give him a call back.

Take care,
G

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:41 pm
by Photo_G
Update: I ordered a pre-cut duplicate from lostakey.net ($9.99 + shipping). I'll post back after I have received and tested it.

Thanks again,
G

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:14 pm
by Photo_G
Well, the first key didn't work. It went in, but wouldn't turn. The company immediately cut a replacement, so I'm hoping for better luck on the new one.

....stand by..

G

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:21 pm
by Big Block Power
Photo send me a pm please. Thanks.

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:45 pm
by thunder550
I just took my key in to Ace Hardware and they cut a duplicate one on the spot for me. I think the blanks are pretty generic.

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 pm
by Driller
I just took my existing key to my local Cobalt dealer. I handed him my key and $15. He handed me a duplicate. Worked like a charm. Cobalt premium as it has the fancy logo on the key.

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 pm
by thunder550
Driller wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 pm Cobalt premium as it has the fancy logo on the key.
Now there's something you won't get at Ace! :lol:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 am
by Photo_G
The second key from LostaKey failed to turn the ignition too. Looks like I'm headed to Ace or my local dealer.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Take care,
G

Edit: It looks like my local dealer can get me the "pretty" key for $32. Not too bad, I guess.

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:47 pm
by Big Block Power
Photo_G wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 am The second key from LostaKey failed to turn the ignition too. Looks like I'm headed to Ace or my local dealer.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Take care,
G

Edit: It looks like my local dealer can get me the "pretty" key for $32. Not too bad, I guess.
Boy sounds like they are thinking it's gold.
You can call any dealer and they can ship it. Just curious if that's the actually the marked up price. I think I paid $15 from deb on here.

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 pm
by Photo_G
Thanks BB, I'll have to shop around a bit.

G

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:13 am
by thunder550
I paid $7 at Ace. I think that was for a key and a keychain.