Page 1 of 2

2013 200 Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm
by moosenuckle
I am a new owner of a 2013 Cobalt 220. I am experiencing a few issues with the boat that I thought someone here may can help me.
1) Cannot remove key from ignition
2)Trim tab guage not working on dash. What should i check first?
3) Backlighting on instruments guages not working?

Thanks for any and all help

Thanks

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:06 pm
by cmattj
moosenuckle wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm I am a new owner of a 2013 Cobalt 220. I am experiencing a few issues with the boat that I thought someone here may can help me.
1) Cannot remove key from ignition
2)Trim tab guage not working on dash. What should i check first?
3) Backlighting on instruments guages not working?

Thanks for any and all help

Thanks
Ignition switch .tumblers inside cylinder stuck dry or key is bent. Replace it as a assembly

Trim gauge uses senders in the outdrive so send 12vto gauge to check sweep and or sender is junk.

Backlighting can be default off in some models for nighttime. You may have up buttons once key is on to illuminate them.

Get some pics and head over to the new members section as you’ll be greeted by everyone and owners of your model will chime in!
Also is the a fresh or salt water used Cobalt?

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:14 pm
by moosenuckle
Thanks for the info

It is a fresh water boat

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:19 pm
by Big Block Power
Welcome. Pics or it doesn't exist.
First is it a 200 or a 220?
Try ed in the lock cyl. Lije Matt said key bent? Tumblers stuck? May have to replace it.

Lights? Is the switch turned on. Lol
Sorry had to go there. Check the ground to them or power. That could also be the issue with the trim guage. Or like Matt said the sender is bad or wiring to it. Is it a merc or vp?

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:30 pm
by moosenuckle
Sorry it is a 220 with Volvo

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:23 pm
by Big Block Power
Also make sure the circuit breaker is reset for the lights. Do the courtesy lights work.
So if the boat is red you get Matt and Nauti's help and the rest of the candied red group. If it's black you get myself, Yt,A7 and the rest of black brigades help!

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:05 pm
by Driller
You've probably checked this, but my 2011 242 has a dimmer switch under the helm where the gauges can be dimmed. Any chance the gauges are just dimmed all the way down?

#21 in the screen shot.

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm
by Big Block Power
Interesting driller. I wonder what year they added dimmers.

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:33 pm
by ajcampen
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm Interesting driller. I wonder what year they added dimmers.
I have a dimmer!?!

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:58 am
by Driller
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm Interesting driller. I wonder what year they added dimmers.
Wouldn’t know, but it is a nice feature. Kinda hidden though. I’m a little bit nerdy and tend to read all my owners manuals. That’s the only reason I knew it was there.

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:19 am
by hawranek
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm Interesting driller. I wonder what year they added dimmers.
My 2007 212 has a dimmer too ;) But it is impossible to dimmed it all the way down to shut the lighting off

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:25 am
by moosenuckle
I tried the dimmer yesterday and still no instrument lighting. The trim guage will show movement when i trim up and down but it is not accurate

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:30 am
by Big Block Power
Sounds like you need a new sender on the drive. Pretty common. Do the courtesy lights work?

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:40 am
by moosenuckle
The courtesy light do work

Re: 2013 200 Issues

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:05 am
by Big Block Power
Then i would check for power and ground at the guages. There is a power bus link tucked in the side of the helm. You may have to remove helm access panels to get to it.