Page 1 of 1
Winterizing
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:30 pm
by Captain Rob
I’m getting ready to winterize my 220.
Is it better to have a full tank of gas or store it with a low tank? I realize I need to add stabil. Thanks for your input.
Re: Winterizing
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:34 pm
by Big Block Power
Myself I run it as low as I can so next year I can run fresh gas right away. If I had a metal tank I would fill it. I would run non ethanol gas too.
Re: Winterizing
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:15 pm
by akorcovelos
Doesn't matter. Stabilize what's in there and top it off in the spring.
Re: Winterizing
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:18 pm
by tgrace98
I had about a 1/4th a tank when I winterized. With boats having fiberglass tanks now it doesn’t really matter. I also use non-ethanol gas. So I’d rather run it low and top it off with fresh gas in the spring
Re: Winterizing
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:47 pm
by AsLan7
Captain Rob wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:30 pm
I’m getting ready to winterize my 220.
Is it better to have a full tank of gas or store it with a low tank? I realize I need to add stabil. Thanks for your input.
You can really go either way....full (non ethanol) or on the empty side (E10 fuel). See the Boating mag article below.
We store our boats and classic cars with full tanks containing non E10 fuel.
....and yes, be sure to dump in some stabilizer and ethanol treatment (if required) to protect against phase separation.
Boating Mag advice....
https://www.boatingmag.com/full-or-empt ... mance-boat
Soundings advice....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.soundi ... er-storage
Boat US advice.....
https://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release.asp?id=842
Hopefully this helps.
Now if only Spring were right around the corner.
.
.
Re: Winterizing
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:51 pm
by cmattj
If you can run the engine prior to shutting her down with a good fuel additive ( water dispersing ,, anti- corrosion etc) like Stabil or Bell mxo, it will store for months , and help other internal fuel components to remain clean.
Then just fill her with fresh fuel on your first outing.
Re: Winterizing
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:20 pm
by akorcovelos
Fuel in the tank aside, it should be run on fogging mixture from a remote tank before winter layup.
Re: Winterizing
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:28 pm
by AsLan7
akorcovelos wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:20 pm
Fuel in the tank aside, it should be run on fogging mixture from a remote tank before winter layup.
Agreed ak. Easiest method with our 2005 Merc 496 EFI is to pour a small mixture of Stabil & 2 cycle oil into the water separating fuel filter and then run as per Merc Service Bulletin
This lubricates both the injectors and the cylinders.
Procedure discussed here...
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1949&p=40435&hilit ... ter#p40435
.
Re: Winterizing
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:23 am
by akorcovelos
Merc and Volvo has similar bulletins to supersede the original method used on TBI injected models. All MPI engines are suppose to follow this:
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_15.pdf
Re: Winterizing
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 am
by AsLan7
.
Hey thanks for posting that AKor. Many times, it's difficult to find the actual service bulletins online. The PDF posted in my link is the same procedure.
Remember, the ratio's mentioned in the service bulletin are for mixing large amounts by dealers and service techs to winterize multiple boats. You can use the same ratio in a smaller amount for one boat by either mixing your own concoction (using the same ratio) and plugging into the fuel line before the water separating fuel filter as per the bulletin, or, an even easier method, just unscrew (if you have this type) or unbolt the water separating filter canister itself and mix your ratio before reinstalling and running.
.
Re: Winterizing
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:35 am
by akorcovelos
Yeah, I ended up with around 4.9 gallons of fogging mix left over, lol. I'll definitely be mixing 1 gallon next year. I don't think just filling the water separator is enough though, the manual calls for running at 1300rpm for 10 minutes, and you don't want to run these engine out of fuel.
Here is the manual for the 7.4 Mag, and the manual for the 454/502 MPI engines. Other than the fogging TSB I posted the rest of the manuals are spot on.
OPERATION & MAINTENANCE MANUAL
1995, Brunswick Corporation 90-806752961 995
454 Magnum
Bravo Models
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 0pD15Of_Sh
OPERATION &MAINTENANCE MANUAL
1995, Brunswick Corporation 90-823204962 995
454 & 502 MPI
Bravo and
Blackhawk Models
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... babU38DTUh
Re: Winterizing
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:58 pm
by AsLan7
.
Thanks for posting those AKor.
Sounds like you're on the right track.

Since you have the earlier generation Merc MPI engine with a VST, 10 minutes is the correct procedure. The TBI engines also utilized those.
The 496 Mag and later gen MPI's utilize the "cool fuel" system which only requires 5 minutes. In any event, you'll notice the fogging is effective with the slightly blue exhaust smoke that comes out.

. Plus, many marina's utilize the same procedure. It works well. I won’t run the engine dry as the fuel line is never disconnected.