Page 1 of 1

Stainless prop on Volvo single screw drive

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:14 pm
by ajaVT
I have a 220 with the original aluminum prop which has been repaired and I am interested to replace it with a new Stainless prop but the Volvo recommendation charts I have seen didn't cover that model. I have the 270HP V8 so am just hoping to get a little more out of that engine than the old prop can deliver.

Re: Stainless prop on Volvo single screw drive

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 pm
by jhnmdahl
What are the numbers stamped on your prop right now? Some of their props (like the helical spline models) don't really have a lot of OEM options, but you can usually go up or down in pitch if that's what you're looking for.

Re: Stainless prop on Volvo single screw drive

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 pm
by Big Block Power
Liquid we need your expertise on this. Lmao. Don't worry he will get to you in 2 weeks.
How will you be using the boat. What do you want to get it of it.
I personally like merc props. Which yes you can put them on your Volvo. Do you have the sx drive. The other problem is what rpms at wot are you hitting. Also again you can call bblades and get there opinion and you can get on the prop program. You buy a prop of it doesn't work you send it back for another.

Re: Stainless prop on Volvo single screw drive

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:18 am
by ajaVT
The drive is an SX-A 1.60 and the boat is buried for the winter so I can't see what is stamped on the current prop. As for performance I am not looking for anything extreme either toward towing or WOT speed but a solid prop which won't flex under load as much as an aluminum one would. Any suggestions on spec's and/or sources would be appreciated.

Re: Stainless prop on Volvo single screw drive

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:57 am
by Big Block Power
Boy you have a 2013 220 with a 270 SX - A drive single prop. Not sure why someone ordered that boat without duoprop drive.
I'll have to do some searching of what came on it from the factory. A7 is great with that info. He's the manual master.
I don't think a revolution 4 prop will be very good on that boat. It's big.
The high five will get you a great hole shot good midrange but you will lose a few mph. The Enertia prop might be the way to go. All of these are Mercury Props. You can get a Volvo hub for them. They are all interchangeable. I know a few guys that have the Enertia prop and they love it. It fits pretty much everything very well. Maybe you can be the guy that convinces liquid he doesn't need a Volvo prop on a Volvo to perform great. Liquid of you tad this in 2 months you should look into this one also. I don't know much about Volvo line up. I think Mercury does a great job on there props other than there B3 set up's that's just me.
https://bblades.com/shop/propellers/brand/enerti


https://youtu.be/mIB9AZdmi0Y

Re: Stainless prop on Volvo single screw drive

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:10 am
by cmattj
BB is right on with reaching out to BBlades! Your hull will decide if more bow or stern lift will help your performance.

They are offered in stainless through VolvoPenta. But are 15 3/4 so it is a larger Diameter. This can be sluggish even using the same pitch.

Solas makes replacements in reduced diameter 15 1/4 to 15 1/2 that could actually improve some performance.

Once you get your current prop numbers we can go from there.

Here’s another link to explore .
.
http://solaspropellers.com/index.php/pr ... rop-finder

Re: Stainless prop on Volvo single screw drive

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:17 am
by Big Block Power
Ok this is what you have. I'm going to say depending start prop you go to a 19p Enertia might be the one. But a 21p might also. I'll go on the mercury prop chart in a but too. It's really a test and feel kind of thing. I've had a revolution 4 17p it was a beast. Best prop I ever owned just not sure that 5.0 can turn it. I have a buddy that had it also and now perfers the Enertia.

Re: Stainless prop on Volvo single screw drive

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:20 am
by cmattj
Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:17 am Ok this is what you have. I'm going to say depending start prop you go to a 21p Enertia might be the one. I'll go on the mercury prop chart in a but too.
Even worse.. 14 1/2 diameter? Gonna need a shorty 🤣