Page 1 of 2
New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:25 am
by Southerncomfort
Purchased my first Cobalt in 2017. A 2011 Cobalt 296 with twin Volvo 8.1 GXis. Found it out of Texas with very low hours(90) in amazing shape. Pulling it back from Texas was quite an adventure. Surge brakes didn't work very well and a hub blew out ultimately destroying the spindle. Had the trailer serviced before leaving Texas, so don't know what the issue was(actually probably didn't really repack it with grease

). Finally made it to Center Hill lake where she spends half the year on a lift and the other half in heated storage.
Of course the little kid in me loves the captain's call early in the morning
Trying to photos but apparently too large...
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:30 am
by AsLan7
.
Hey SC, welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!
Twin GXi's with Captain's Call...you're my hero! Great engines. Practically brand new with only 90 hours. Nice find.
Sorry to hear about the bearing blow-out. What are you pulling that beast with my friend?
As far as pictures go, easy way to resize is to just screen shot them on your phone and then upload.
or
You can just open the pic up on your computer, edit slightly, then save. Should upload then.
Again, welcome aboard mate!
.
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:47 pm
by Big Block Power
Welcome southern comfort. That was my drink of choice for years. Can't wait for pictures. Why do I see a crossover suv pulling her. Lol
Ram please. Shhh Matt is listening.
Please let be black.
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:16 pm
by tgrace98
Welcome from St Louis! I liked the 296 a lot! I actually hunted for a 296 with twin big blocks. But all the ones I could find were way out of my price range. Hope to see some pic soon!
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:16 pm
by Southerncomfort
Here she is before pick in Texas.
Port 2mb.JPG
Stern 2mb.JPG
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:26 pm
by NautiGirl
Looks SHARP... If you like black boats!
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:32 pm
by Southerncomfort
Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:47 pm
Welcome southern comfort. That was my drink of choice for years. Can't wait for pictures. Why do I see a crossover suv pulling her. Lol
Ram please. Shhh Matt is listening.
Please let be black.
No crossover, prefer the smartcar as it gets great gas mileage. Though the drivetrain only lasts for a few minutes...
displayimage.jpeg
Actually. 2016 GMC 2500HD diesel, which pulls it no problem. Boat and trailer weighs 11,620(actually took it on a CAT scale to figure out if I needed a 10k or 12k boat lift). Stopping could get a little more dicey; so I switched it over from surge brakes to Electric over Hydraulic when I had to replace the spindle and hubs that blew out. Wasn't that much work to do it myself. Especially since I wanted to know the bearings were packed with grease properly.

Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:46 pm
by Big Block Power
Southerncomfort wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:32 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:47 pm
Welcome southern comfort. That was my drink of choice for years. Can't wait for pictures. Why do I see a crossover suv pulling her. Lol
Ram please. Shhh Matt is listening.
Please let be black.
No crossover, prefer the smartcar as it gets great gas mileage. Though the drivetrain only lasts for a few minutes...
displayimage.jpeg
Actually. 2016 GMC 2500HD diesel, which pulls it no problem. Boat and trailer weighs 11,620(actually took it on a CAT scale to figure out if I needed a 10k or 12k boat lift). Stopping could get a little more dicey; so I switched it over from surge brakes to Electric over Hydraulic when I had to replace the spindle and hubs that blew out. Wasn't that much work to do it myself. Especially since I wanted to know the bearings were packed with grease properly.
Yea baby. Welcome to the black beauty group. I'm sure you get some looks with the smart car. I like it. Sucks about the bearing. That's bs. Nice trailer though. Pretty popular in Texas. Love the color combo.
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:48 pm
by AsLan7
.
She’s a beaut SC.
Enjoy all that seating room with the aft center walk-thru and the sounds she’ll scream from those tower speakers.

Don’t forget pics of her twins. It’s practically the best part.
.
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:01 pm
by Driller
Great boat, Welcome from Austin.
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:15 pm
by Spine Guy
Beautiful boat SC!
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:58 am
by cmattj
Welcome from California!
She is stunning! Twin bigs... Exhaust.... windlass....!! and I see you’ve had some time with her so I would Loce to hear your captains report on the performance. The electric brakes are definitely a better setup with that weight.
More pics please!
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:17 am
by tgrace98
Wow she is a beauty! I had seen one for sale last summer in TN with twin merc 496 mag ho’s. Owner claimed it did close to 70mph. Is that about what you get out of the Volvo motors?
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:52 am
by Ytmsn
She big, shes black, and I like it! Welcome from Oklahoma!
Re: New Member Middle, TN - Center Hill lake
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:08 pm
by Southerncomfort
AsLan7 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:48 pm
.
She’s a beaut SC.
Enjoy all that seating room with the aft center walk-thru and the sounds she’ll scream from those tower speakers.

Don’t forget pics of her twins. It’s practically the best part.
.
Ask and you will will receive...
twins_1 2mb.jpg
twins_2 2mb.jpg