Page 1 of 2
K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:01 pm
by cmattj
For you Merc 496 members I have 2 K&N filters new in the box. Part # 59-5005
They are the cleanable hi flow version.
Direct replacement with no trimming your cover required.
It will eliminate that iac filter whistle. ( you may have at 2600-3000 rpm)
.
$45.00 each and includes Shipping. ( USA ground)
Pay pal accepted.
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:07 pm
by AsLan7
.
PM Sent for one of them.
Thx Matt.
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:22 pm
by cmattj
AsLan7 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:07 pm
.
PM Sent for one of them.
Thx Matt.
Done
Still have 1 remaining .
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 pm
by Big Block Power
I couldn't use those due to the iat sensor mounted to mine.
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:27 pm
by AsLan7
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 pm
I couldn't use those due to the iat sensor mounted to mine.
Should I be concerned?

Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:17 pm
by Big Block Power
AsLan7 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:27 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 pm
I couldn't use those due to the iat sensor mounted to mine.
Should I be concerned?
I know merc is diff. So I'm not 100 percent sure on yours. I would have to search some.
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:54 pm
by Big Block Power
I can't find anything out there where the merc looks like our Volvo.
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:30 pm
by AsLan7
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:54 pm
I can't find anything out there where the merc looks like our Volvo.
.
Roger that.
I don’t think there is a noticeable difference using the K & N on the Merc Mag HO vs stock flame arrester.
I just like the way it looks.
With that being said, I don’t want to perform a reflash on the ECU.
.
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:25 pm
by cmattj
Yes no worries buddy!
Merc only ,as the Volvo 8.1 is offset slightly and has the sensor.
I would have put them on the 282

They are pretty!
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:22 pm
by AsLan7
cmattj wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:25 pm
Yes no worries buddy!
Merc only ,as the Volvo 8.1 is offset slightly and has the sensor.
I would have put them on the 282

They are pretty!
.
Thanks again Matt. K & N installed!
Tucked under the cover like a sheep

in wolf’s

clothing.
Our 425 HP Merc is now probably pushing closer to 7-800 HP with this simple air filter mod.....maybe 1,000 hp on a crisp cold day with a low density altitude.
.
.
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 pm
by Big Block Power
Very cool. Did yours ever have the whistle? Or did you look to see if you had a iac muffler in place?
It does look fast under there.
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:23 pm
by AsLan7
Big Block Power wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 pm
Very cool. Did yours ever have the whistle? Or did you look to see if you had a iac muffler in place?
It does look fast under there.
.
Thx brutha bbp.
Never noticed the whistle.
I just want to break 100mph and this simple upgrade should net me an extra 30-40 mph on the lake...and then I’ll be whistling Dixie....unless my Captain’s Call drowns it out.
.
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:47 pm
by cmattj
Looking sweet buddy!
Doing the formula of ¥~496@101.1 ë , shows you should be prop shopping, and have an estimated fuel mileage of ( 3.6 Bay / 2.2 River).

Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:53 pm
by AsLan7
cmattj wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:47 pm
Looking sweet buddy!
Doing the formula of ¥~496@101.1 ë , shows you should be prop shopping, and have an estimated fuel mileage of ( 3.6 Bay / 2.2 River).
.
Dang you’re good matt. I forgot the ¥. :
Yup, time to prop exchange with BBP.
Thx again for the sale.
.
Re: K&N Merc 496 Air Filters
Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:17 pm
by kas232ca
Big Block Power wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 pm
Very cool. Did yours ever have the whistle? Or did you look to see if you had a iac muffler in place?
It does look fast under there.
Mine whistles. Gives my wife a headache. Told her Captians Call install would fix that...