Page 1 of 1
R Series Boats - Marine Radio?
Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:44 pm
by BobRae99
Hi All,
I'm just wondering whether any of you have flush mounted a marine radio on the console of your R series boat? I'm considering installing a Garmin unit to the right of the steering wheel (currently there is a cubby there).
If you have flush-mounted one, do you have a picture you can share? Also, where did you mount the antenna?
I'm thinking about this Garmin unit:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/545988
It's going to be a long 3 months before my boat is in the water, I need to have something to think about.
B
Re: R Series Boats - Marine Radio?
Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:02 pm
by NautiGirl
Thought your lake was tiny? We have a marine radio in the boat at all times. Says iPhone on it. Weird.
Re: R Series Boats - Marine Radio?
Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:18 pm
by BobRae99
NautiGirl wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:02 pm
Thought your lake was tiny? We have a marine radio in the boat at all times. Says iPhone on it. Weird.
Not that I stray too far from home, but I boat on the 7th largest lake in North America (Lake Winnipeg), beaten only by the Great Lakes and Great Bear/Great Slave lakes.
I thought I might take a 2 hour run from where I boat to the closest city (about 2 hours away) or cross the lake to the east side which is about 18 - 20 miles (nice sand beaches). I'm not sure if there is cell service out there.
I guess I was thinking about the 10 years I spent sailing on Lake of The Woods (Ontario and NW Minnesota). Lots of places there where there is no cell service and we relied on a VHF radio for communication and weather information. You never need one until ... you need one.
Re: R Series Boats - Marine Radio?
Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:13 pm
by Bfun220
BobRae99 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:18 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:02 pm
Thought your lake was tiny? We have a marine radio in the boat at all times. Says iPhone on it. Weird.
Not that I stray too far from home, but I boat on the 7th largest lake in North America (Lake Winnipeg), beaten only by the Great Lakes and Great Bear/Great Slave lakes.
I thought I might take a 2 hour run from where I boat to the closest city (about 2 hours away) or cross the lake to the east side which is about 18 - 20 miles (nice sand beaches). I'm not sure if there is cell service out there.
I guess I was thinking about the 10 years I spent sailing on Lake of The Woods (Ontario and NW Minnesota). Lots of places there where there is no cell service and we relied on a VHF radio for communication and weather information. You never need one until ... you need one.
I always have a radio with me. Not only is it a good idea for your own safety, but if you have it on you could hear if another boat is in trouble. I know the couple I pulled in last year were pretty happy.
Re: R Series Boats - Marine Radio?
Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:08 pm
by Big Block Power
Would a portable one be good enough for those times.
Re: R Series Boats - Marine Radio?
Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:24 pm
by Bfun220
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:08 pm
Would a portable one be good enough for those times.
That's what I use. Figured the guy I bought my boat from would flip out if I drilled more holes.
Plus they float.
Re: R Series Boats - Marine Radio?
Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:36 pm
by Big Block Power
Bfun220 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:24 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:08 pm
Would a portable one be good enough for those times.
That's what I use. Figured the guy I bought my boat from would flip out if I drilled more holes.
Plus they float.
Only if he already fixed the holes



Re: R Series Boats - Marine Radio?
Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:50 pm
by BobRae99
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:08 pm
Would a portable one be good enough for those times.
Portables are limited to 6W output, which transmits from a 6” antenna. A fixed install unit will transmit at 25 W from an external antenna. I guess it depends on how far away you are from help
Re: R Series Boats - Marine Radio?
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:38 am
by Kate
BobRae99 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:50 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:08 pm
Would a portable one be good enough for those times.
Portables are limited to 6W output, which transmits from a 6” antenna. A fixed install unit will transmit at 25 W from an external antenna. I guess it depends on how far away you are from help
Just went through the same considerations. Opted for a portable. Rule-of-thumb range is 3-8 miles. Range can be increased dramatically by attaching it to a fixed-mount antenna. DSC is an important option for emergencies.
Re: R Series Boats - Marine Radio?
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:30 pm
by Mike in SC
It's a great way to call for help when you don't know who to call, or respond to a distress call.
Re: R Series Boats - Marine Radio?
Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:55 am
by BobRae99
I didn't end up buying one, but I will for next season. I did the 2.5 hour motor into the city this fall and went through several areas without cell service.
I don't want to drill holes but do want the option of extended range so I've decided on a compromise. I'm going to buy a portable that can be connected to an external antenna. I'll buy the external antennal and store it in clips in the ski locker. I'll find a clamp bracket I can use to attach it to the tower in case I need to deploy it. So, in the unlikely case that I need to use a VHF for help and need the extra range, I'll have it available. If I just need to check weather to make a radio call from close to shore, I just need to pull the hand unit out of the glove box.
