Page 1 of 2
Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:22 am
by Begrooms
I have a 2016 220s with a heritage trailer and the mooring cover. I normally don’t trailer very far, but will have plans this year to go a few hundred miles and I would prefer to trailer with a cover on it. I think I read the mooring cover should not be used for that. Does anyone have recommendations on a quality cover I could use for trailering and winter storage?
Thanks.
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 am
by jhnmdahl
We put several hundred miles on our 210 per year (since 2005) with the Cobalt mooring cover (mostly at highway speeds) and have yet to notice any rash or wear as a result, but your mileage may vary. I suspect if you keep everything clean and secure the cover tight you'll be ok, but if it's a single long trip it makes it hard to change your mind halfway through...
John
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:31 am
by Photo_G
Hi,
We picked the one below up to augment our stock mooring cover, which is beginning to show some wear. Maybe something like this alone, or over the mooring cover, would work out. The thing that I like about it is that it covers the full length of our 210, including the extended swim platform (22.5' LOA), and can be adjusted at the stern by cinching the elastic cord. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't fit over a standing tower but, if you have a bimini (like we do) and collapse it for transport, it might do the trick.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Taylor-Heavy ... -/36469527
G
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:40 am
by Driller
I don't see any problem towing with my factory cover. Mine looks just like this when towing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjTHYjhz45o
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:15 am
by Begrooms
Thanks. We do have a Bimini. The only wear I have noticed is up front where the cover goes over the screws for the stainless rub tail. When left outside water sometimes will pool on the mooring cover over the sun pad which I have tried to since up to stop from doing.
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:21 am
by AsLan7
Hey begrooms. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!
Sounds like you got some good answers on the mooring cover. I trailer with the snap down cover.
We love pics here too. Feel free to post an intro thread only if you have the time. Great hearing how folks got into boating and particularly their Cobalt.
Once again, welcome aboard mate!
.
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:41 am
by ajcampen
Begrooms wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:22 am
I have a 2016 220s with a heritage trailer and the mooring cover. I normally don’t trailer very far, but will have plans this year to go a few hundred miles and I would prefer to trailer with a cover on it. I think I read the mooring cover should not be used for that. Does anyone have recommendations on a quality cover I could use for trailering and winter storage?
Thanks.
What do u do in the winter for storage? Mine sits oust side and I had a winter cover made to go over my 220s tower. I also trailer with the factory cover on
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:30 pm
by Begrooms
My storage most of the time is indoors so this past winter it is just stored with the mooring cover on inside a metal building with a concrete floor.
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:30 pm
by SAB220
2004 220
I'm lost. I trailer cover is not a mooring cover. A mooring cover is put on while the boat is tied up, or on the mooring. I searched everywhere for a mooring cover and couldn't find one. I get my covers from Westland via baldmike.com. I have a sunbrella trailer cover and plan to the sharkskin cover for my a mooring cover this year (I hate snap covers). I haven't tried the sharkskin cover yet but the Westland sunbrella cover fits the boat, tower and swim platform like a glove. Its amazing. There is a way to make the sunbrella cover a mooring cover with ratchets on the P & S but its a pain in the butt.
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:29 pm
by Big Block Power
I have the factory sharkskin mooring cover that was made by Westland and really don't like it. It is a pain to Install in the water. I have trailered once with it. I wouldn't recommend it. It's bulky and heavy. I rather have the sunbrella one. The new underarmor ones no prob. Much better product. I love my bow and cockpit cover and wouldn't trade them for anything. Trailer with them all the time. If I moored the boat then I would get a mooring cover. I have a old canvas cover from my 202 I just throw on top of the boat in the garage to keep The dust out when I'm not using it.
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:13 pm
by Driller
SAB220 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:30 pm
2004 220
I'm lost. I trailer cover is not a mooring cover. A mooring cover is put on while the boat is tied up, or on the mooring. I searched everywhere for a mooring cover and couldn't find one. I get my covers from Westland via baldmike.com. I have a sunbrella trailer cover and plan to the sharkskin cover for my a mooring cover this year (I hate snap covers). I haven't tried the sharkskin cover yet but the Westland sunbrella cover fits the boat, tower and swim platform like a glove. Its amazing. There is a way to make the sunbrella cover a mooring cover with ratchets on the P & S but its a pain in the butt.
I think my "mooring cover" is built to do both as shown in the video above.
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:14 pm
by Big Block Power
Driller wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:13 pm
SAB220 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:30 pm
2004 220
I'm lost. I trailer cover is not a mooring cover. A mooring cover is put on while the boat is tied up, or on the mooring. I searched everywhere for a mooring cover and couldn't find one. I get my covers from Westland via baldmike.com. I have a sunbrella trailer cover and plan to the sharkskin cover for my a mooring cover this year (I hate snap covers). I haven't tried the sharkskin cover yet but the Westland sunbrella cover fits the boat, tower and swim platform like a glove. Its amazing. There is a way to make the sunbrella cover a mooring cover with ratchets on the P & S but its a pain in the butt.
I think my "mooring cover" is built to do both as shown in the video above.
Agreed!
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:34 pm
by jhnmdahl
Yep, I ticked the “mooring cover” box when ordering my 210, but only use the cover for towing and storage as I never moor or overnight dock the boat.
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 pm
by Big Block Power
jhnmdahl wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:34 pm
Yep, I ticked the “mooring cover” box when ordering my 210, but only use the cover for towing and storage as I never moor or overnight dick the boat.
John you better be nicer to your boat.
Re: Cover for 220
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:58 pm
by ajcampen
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 pm
jhnmdahl wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:34 pm
Yep, I ticked the “mooring cover” box when ordering my 210, but only use the cover for towing and storage as I never moor or overnight dick the boat.
John you better be nicer to your boat.
What does dickin the boat mean? Having trouble with mental picture