Page 1 of 1

EVC Issues

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 pm
by TexomaR7
Hi All,

New to the forum and wanted to do an introduction as well as ask about an issue.

The good.
Recently bought and took delivery of a new 2019 R7.
- 380 Volvo
- Windlass
- Arch w/ folding bimini shade
- Battery switch
- Battery maintainer
- Sof-trak mat
- Sea grass
- Flagpole
- Premium sound
- Makassar interior

Absolutely love the boat and the brand. This is my second Cobalt, previously had a 2006 246 that we owned for 10 years and only sold due to extreme fluctuations in our lake levels for several seasons.

The bad.
On our 3rd trip on the lake with 4.4 hours on the boat it went dead in the water and threw a "Check EVC" error. After quick Google searches and a call to our dealer we had a tow boat pull us in. The dealer was able to change out some of the EVC components but it seems it is still throwing error messages and they believe it could be a problem in the wiring harness. First questions, has anyone heard of similar problems with the EVC? Second, if there is a wiring harness problem, how easy is this to fix, especially if it is somewhere deep in the boat?

Thanks for any insight
.

Re: EVC Issues

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:48 pm
by AsLan7
Hey texomaR7. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

Great pics. Thanks for posting those.

Sorry to hear about your EVC woes. I’m not familiar with those codes but others here will chime in.

You are going to make some incredible memories on her (once you nurse her back to health). :?

Again, welcome aboard mate!

Re: EVC Issues

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 pm
by cmattj
Welcome and sorry to hear about your bug. I’m assuming the dealer is working with Volvo on the issue which is obviously data communications loss.
Once the location is determined, the rest will involve the skills by the shop to interpret the trouble tree .
As Volvo equips their power plants with harnesses at rigging (Cobalt), and everything required it may be as simple as a loose pin connector. Once found and rectified I'm sure it won’t haunt you in the future.
I think the Volvo EVC system is amazing as it’s been discussed here as options. But seeing it’s capabilities you’ll be glad you have it!

Keep us posted!

Hey here’s yours during rigging with the forward harness on the right being readied for the helm.

Re: EVC Issues

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 pm
by Table Rockin
I had a similar issue with my 17' R7 last year. Had the whole extended family down last year and first day we broke down within a half hour....grrrr....

It went into limp mode with a check evc message. Thankfully we were close to my slip. Turns out the wiring harness needed replaced.

Re: EVC Issues

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:54 am
by TexomaR7
Thanks for the welcome and appreciate the information. I am sure this will get taken care, just can not wait to get back on the water.

Re: EVC Issues

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:16 am
by Bohlihaw
I was wondering if TexhomaR7 ever got his EVC problem corrected? I just bought a 2019 R5 surf and as soon as it was put in the water I had a Check EVC warning and the boat would turn off then immediately turn back on. Happened multiple times on the way to my slip. Thanks for your input

Re: EVC Issues

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:29 am
by AsLan7
Bohlihaw wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:16 am I was wondering if TexhomaR7 ever got his EVC problem corrected? I just bought a 2019 R5 surf and as soon as it was put in the water I had a Check EVC warning and the boat would turn off then immediately turn back on. Happened multiple times on the way to my slip. Thanks for your input
.
Hey Bohlihaw. Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!

What engine is in your R5?

Again, can't help with the EVC but your dealer should be able to make this right under warranty if no quick fixes are mentioned here.

Any pics?

Again, welcome aboard mate!

.